Holiday Notebook CHALLENGE!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

zchristy

Santa's Elves
If you're a newbie who has always wanted a Christmas notebook, an old pro whose notebook needs some refreshing or anything in between! Each week I'll post a new topic or section to focus on and we can discuss our individual notebooks, ideas or progress.

What better way to pass the dullness of winter, than bringing a little Christmas into our lives? :globe:

If you want to take part, post here and introduce yourself! Tell us a little about your current notebook situation - Do you have one? Are you new to notebooking? Are you making one for a friend? Let's hear where you're at!

Who's with me?

Last edited by a moderator:

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
I'm with you! I love hearing about others notebooks!

I've had a Christmas Notebook of some sort for several years (5 or 6 maybe?). It started out in a manila folder and is now a section of my seasonal Winter Notebook. It is now definitely outgrowing the shared space and I've been thinking of starting a notebook just for Christmas. I've got everything for inside, but I'd need a separate cover and maybe new dividers. :skate:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I have a Christmas Notebook. I made it for Christmas 2007 and loved it. So this will be my second year using it. I have already cleaned it out and printed new forms, just need to get them in there and rearrange some things and take out some things I don't need.

Right now my sections are as follows:

*Table of Contents
*Calendar
*Shopping Lists
*Gift Lists
*Stocking Stuffers
*Christmas Countdown
*Decoration Inventories
*Magic Elves
*Christmas Fairies
*Holiday Grand Plan
*Holiday and Houseworks Plan
*Address Book/Christmas Card List
*Recipes
*Swaps
*Crafts
*Receipts
*Gift Basket Themes
*Helpful Websites
*Favorite Books/Movies
*Rudolph Club

Not all of these are in use. I added several but never put in any information so I need to assess which ones I really need and which ones I don't and won't use and take those out.

I'm also working on a Christmas Notebook as a birthday gift for my mom at the end of this month.

jmgconner

Retire Member
Jan 1, 2008
I'm in! I discovered Christmas notebooks 4 years ago when I was due Christmas day with my second child. I knew that I'd never make it through Christmas if I wasn't organized. It was by far the most organized, easiest Christmas ever. I became a true believer that year. Each year since I've tried to be as organized as that first year, but I let my Christmas notebook slip - and I always think to myself "I wish I had written that down in a notebook".

I don't have any real sections in my notebook anymore. The things I remember helping me years ago was a page protector for receipts, an address book, and a list of stocking stuffers and gifts.

Thanks for heading this up! I'm looking forward to it!

Santa Baby

Retire Member
Dec 27, 2007
Southern California
Christmas 2008 will be my first time using the Christmas notebook - so I am a newbie!! I completed the Christmas 2007 review pages and the 2008 Resolution page, but other than that I only have some title pages. The ones I have are:

Forms
Notes
Address Book
Holiday Grand Plan (with all the weekly pages)
Christmas Recipies
Rudolph Day

Santa Baby

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I have had my notebook for 4 years now and would be lost without it. I am always changing things to suit my needs and love hearing how others have set up their notebooks.

I have my notebok divided into these sections:

Houseworks Holiday Plan
Christmas Countdown
Budget
Gifts
Food
Cards
Decorations
Family/Home
Traditions
Christmas Past

"heartstrings: Melanie

Gadler

Retire Member
Jan 7, 2008
I'm in! I love Christmas notebooks too and have had one for about 5 years. Mine got so big that it has been divided out into other notebooks - eg my Houseworks note book has the Grand Plan and all the other cleaning plans in it. My Christmas note book has:

- Calendars
- Master gift list
- Gift closet
- Christmas card list
- Budget
- Some recipes, although I also have a recipe notebook as well
- Articles from OC (I call this section "reference")
- Decor
- Rudolph

Cheers from Aussieland
Gail :skate:

Basket

Retire Member
Dec 25, 2007
Northern Germany
I have a notebook on my PC - it`s grown up the last years. I use lists in Excel for this.
So it is like a paper notebook, I write the themes on the tabs and coloured them
and print out what I need.

Now I sort it all for the three passes of a Cleaning session - one includes Easter, second the summer activities and the third Halloween, Advent and Christmas. It is possible for me to change the contents to occurences/ events.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Mine is a MESS! I have good intentions! My countdown notebook was in good shape but now I'd like to combine it with my Holiday Notebook and Monthly magic. I keep a household notebook ,of sorts ,seperatly. I have a section for each holiday and celebration that is broken down within itself for countdowns, lists, recipes, and tear files-but I definatly need guidance! Thanks so much for taking this on zchristy! :jumpinghearts:

gllatshaw

Retire Member
Jan 13, 2008
Florence, South Carolina
I started this past Christmas with the Christmas Countdown from OC. The dividers I have are the weekly themes for the countdown, and some of the forms. But somewhere along the way I quit using it. I really want to "get it together" for 2008. I'm up for this challenge and thank you so much for starting it.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Right now my sections are labeled:

• gifts - lists, ideas, budget, receipts
    holiday grand plan
    magic elves
    cards - lists, notes for yearly letter
    media - book, video, website lists
    dinner - recipes, plans, ideas for holiday dinners
    reference - odds & ends for future ideas

campncook

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
south Texas
I love my Notebook and have learned my lesson this year about how important it is! I made my Notebook, as I have in years past, but did NOT follow it! I was NOT totally organized...never, never again will I NOT follow my organized Notebook! :huh:

gllatshaw

Retire Member
Jan 13, 2008
Florence, South Carolina
As I read this post about the challenge, I looked at my HN and was wondering if you could address the problem of not being able to see the tabs on the side if you put pages in protectors, and if you put tabs on the protector, they stick out of the notebook and get bent and torn. This bugs me - or maybe I'm just a little OCD?!

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
I have used a Christmas Notebook for several years now and find it invaluable. I developed it more for 2007 after finding OC. For 2008 I have decided to split it up as it's getting too big to handle. I've decided to split it into Christmas Recipies (notebook 1), Holiday decorations & craft ideas (notebook 2), Christmas Notebook (notebook 3). The sections I have in the main notebook are:-

Holiday Grand Plan
Calenders
Address Book - Christmas card list, gift list
Notes - Useful website, our holiday traditions. de-briefing
Rudolph Club

I'm hoping to develop the Magic Elves for 2008 so will have to add this in somewhere. Am always looking for ideas to improve this so will be reading this thread avidly.

:globe:

santashelper

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
NS,CAN.
I would like to start a holiday notebook. But haven't done anything about it yet. I am still working on my New Year's resolution to exercise every day!

It would be great to have a goal of working on one section every week, I could probably manage that!

Thanks for the help.
:jumpinghearts: :bigsnow:

zchristy

Santa's Elves
Hi everybody! I'm so glad there is so much interest in the notebook challenge. :)

A note to those just starting a notebook or making one for someone else - If you are just starting this process, you have some work to do this week before we start on specific sections.

Grab a cup of tea and sit down with the "Beginner's" thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1194

That thread will walk you step-by-step through starting to assemble your notebook. Once you have a vision, have ought or gathered your supplies and have a base notebook started, you can start to fill up and re-work your various sections as we work through them week by week.

So get a move on - we'll be starting with a specific section next week! This will be fun! :frosty:

Santa Baby

Retire Member
Dec 27, 2007
Southern California
:bunny: I have my sections set up!! Yea!!! Looking forward to the next step!!

:heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: