Homemade Hot Cocoa?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Does anyone have a great recipe for this? I've never made it myself, always out of a package. But this year I would like to make some hot chocolate/cocoa to enjoy!

Me too Teacherturnedmom!! I have looked over a ton of recipes awhile ago on there. I might try some of them this year. I am hoping to get a freezer chest or get my dad's extra refrig/freezer out of storage but it is a little buried in the back corner right now. Once I am able to get that then I can start doing the OAMC's(which I have been dying to get started on).

patteemom

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Idaho
I have made it for the past two years. I'll have to go dig out my recipe. I would suggest making a half recipe of any hot cocoa mix you find. I have tried a couple and even with the one I have I end up adding stuff to it to get the flavor I wantand that my kids like. I find I usually add extra instant chocolate milk mix (Nesquik is the one I like) and sugar. I know some people use instant chocolate pudding mix to add to the chocolate flavor. I haven't tried that yet but I think it would be yummy. Okay I'll go find my recipe and be back.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Thanks for the link teacherturnedmom and I can't wait for the recipe patteemom!

patteemom

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Idaho
Okay found it! Like I said I would make a half batch so you can taste it and make changes to fit your taste. This is the base recipe I make changes every and never write them down so I have do the same trial every time (you think I'd learn).

Hot Chocolate Mix:

5 cups dry powdered milk
6oz. non-dairy creamer (you can use flavored if you want)
2 cups powdered sugar
3 cups instant chocolate drink mix ( I like NesQuik)

Mix well in a large bowl. place in airtight containers. Can last up to 6 months.
You can blend it to get a better mix. It will also look more like store bought.

Add 3 Tbsp. to 1 cup hot water.

Play with it and have fun!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Thanks! I may try this Halloween night. :jack:

Iluvsantasandsnowmen

Retire Member
Oct 27, 2007
In the state of confusion still...
The best recipe for this is on the back of the side of the Hersheys Cocoa unsweetened, My 3 boys loved it and would ask for it again and again!!
It really is deliciou :bigsnow: s!!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Mexican Hot Cocoa

4 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons Nestle Toll House baking cocoa
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 1/3 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a small heavy-duty saucepan; combine sugar, cocoa and cinnamon.
Over medium heat, gradually stir in milk and stir constantly until hot, do not boil.
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Beat with a wire whisk until frothy and pour into cups. Serve immediately.

I top mine with a smirl of whipcream and a sprinkle of chocolate shavings. :grin: