How About "Christmas Magic" For You?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Deckr8r

Retire Member
Jun 22, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Magnolia, where is that mall. I have never experienced a white Christmas :frown: and would love to go there. You'd think that a least one mall here in the Los Angeles area would have thought of that. I always long for the dreamy warm fuzzies chance to just sit with the cocoa and look at the tree and listen to the music but it never seems to happen. I've been trying to do the OC plans but for only 2 years and haven't gotten very good at it and last year was a disaster because we were remodeling the kitchen. Also, before they all moved away (it's LA, need I explain why?) DH's family always came to our house for Christmas because we were the only ones with a fireplace - and then it would be too warm to use it LOL.

Deckr8r

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
Deckr8r, We don't get snow where I live in California either. You might want to check HSN (Home Shopping Network). Last year I bought a snowman "snow machine" that blows a substance up in the air to make it look like it is snowing. At first I was disappointed because the snow is actually a bubbly (sudsy) substance and the motor is kind of loud but it is actually the same substance Disneyland blows throughout the park to make it "snow" at the end of the fireworks in December. I plan on putting it on my patio outside my window, sit by the tree and pretend it is snowing. :globe:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Remember - there will be lots of "Christmas magic" available for you during our Christmas in July.

You DO NOT have to do any work at all during July. It is perfectly fine for you to just enjoy this board -- and Christmas movies on TV - and QVC on July 25th.

We only do Christmas work during July if it is ultimately helpful to us. If it reduces the stress we feel in December. And for those of us who want to accomplish things, "Christmas in July" will give us lots of support!

Whatever you do during July - check in here to our Magical Holiday Home often! :skate:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I started reading through this thread today! Why? Well -- it is in the 90's today, humidity OVER 90%, and THE GNATS have hatched! Do you get gnats? They are tiny tiny black bugs that fly around in swarms. They are attracted to sweat. Isn't that lovely?

A brilliant friend told me that gnats fly to the highest point on your boady -- so wear a hat! The hat confuses their tiny little gnat minds -- and keeps them out of your eyes and your mouth!

Anyway - without a hat - I had to run inside and go to our Magical Holiday Home! And I found this lovely thread!

As I began to read posts, I saw how many of us find Christmas magic -- when we ARE NOT RUSHED AND OVERWHELMED AND EXHAUSTED! It doesn't have to cost much money! A cup of hot chocolate or a lattee in a Christmassy location fills us with delight! But the key seems to be to have the time and the "peace of mind" to enjoy this magic.

OK. THAT thought givs me inspiration to keep on keepin' on!!! Every Baby Step of work I do now..... moves me closer to being able to enjoy Christmas Magic!! Woo Hoo!!! Win - Win!!!!!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
SN, thanks for pulling this out of the archives! I read one of the posts and it immediatly gave my stomach that little excited flip flop. I realized how much I love and need the holiday season every year but moreso need to keep that gentle spirited feeling inside of me year round. It was a good post to read!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I don't think that I have read this thread before but it has made me realise that
I WANT CHRISTMAS NOW!!!!!!!!
To me it is that most magical time of the year. I think it stems from when I was a child. My family was not rich, nor were we poor. My mum and dad worked really hard and we never went without but we did not have a lot of extras. My mum and dad made christmas so special for us. It was not anything extravagant but you could tell that they put alot of effort into the season. We would go to wonderful parties and my mum would prepare the most wonderful meal on Christmas Day. The presents were always well thought out and we always got exactly what we needed and 1 treat.
When I first met my DH he had never really celebrated Christmas. He used to get 1 unwrapped gift and the meal was just a normal daily meal. I had to bring the Christmas magic to him.
I try really hard to bring that same sense of wonder to my childrens and DH life as I had as a child.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Katrina - I agree with you about wanting Christmas NOW! There is just something that is so magical about the season. I have wonderful memories, too and I love the feeling that the season brings. Yes, Christmas could come now and I'd be thrilled...not ready, but thrilled!

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
I don't think I have read this thread before either. It makes me wish my tree was up right now and I could sit back quietly and enjoy the lights with my hot chocolate! But I think I will be more prepared this year than ever thanks to MMH and I enjoy thinking about the Christmas Season everyday.

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
It was so lovely to read this thread again and find a post of my own that I had forgot about! It's left me feeling warm and fuzzy inside!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I was feeling so excited about Christmas yesterday, really pleased with what I have achieved so far and really excited about what I have planned to do. I started talking to one of my co-workers about the great bargains I had picked up the other day and about the crafts that I have been doing, and she looked at me as if I had sprouted another head.
It is so hard living in a world that does not appreciate Christmas and all that it means like we do. It makes me feel sometimes that I speak a different language.

BUT I will not let it curb my excitement, I know that there is a place for me where I can discuss what Christmas means to me and where the Christmas Magic is real all the year round.
And I know that in November and December I will sit smugly and watch my co-workers run around in a panic trying to get things done and all the while I will be celebrating the season MHH style.

Last edited:

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
What a great thread! Loved reading about everyone's Christmas magic :)

Have to say I do enjoy shopping centres right before Christmas... BUT only when I don't need to buy anything! I like to just wander around the shops soaking up the atmosphere, and the Christmas music. It's enjoyable because I'm choosing to be there, and don't have to be there for last minute shopping. Might even get myself one or two things as well :)

Sometimes I feel a little guilty for taking up a valuable parking spot when there are so many people trying to get parking... then I think... Nah, they should have been more organised!! Karma will come back to me one day ;)

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Christmas Magic! I really think that Gingerbug has set up some Christmas Magic for us in June! What is it? Working On Our Christmas Notebooks! The pages that we print out -- we CHOOSE the pages that will be helpfu to US -- and print THEM out! And those pages are really helpful in getting some concrete thoughts down on paper! We have to THINK -- in order to write things down on those planning pages!!!

Right now..... I ave once again lost track of my Christmas Notebook! But I am determined to find it BEFORE June 1st! MAYBE even.... by Memorial Day Weekend!

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Absolutely, SparkleNana...

I've got mine, but it's such a mess at the moment. Will be great to get it back in order again.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Creating Christmas magic for me is a year round event. I really enjoy working a little bit at a time all through the year. It is like a hobby to me. I not only do it so the people around me have a wonderful Christmas, I do it because I really enjoy it. It really is a simple matter to bring Christmas magic to my life. I just need to share my thoughts and ideas with you all here and it makes my day really happy.

:tree2:

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
I really agree with what you have said sweetpumkinpye! I love all my planning I do throughout the year. I always feel a bit sad when I hear people complaining about how much they hate getting ready for Christmas. I understand not everyone loves it like I do ,and I do get odd looks from people when I'm trying to organise something for Christmas in October,but it's my hobby. Heck today I'm wearing a pair of Christmas earrings,snowflakes,and it doesn't get more strange than that! Lol!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I read that there is only 195 days til Christmas. I think that this is a good time to sit down and write in our notebooks what makes Christmas magic for us. I am well aware of how quickly time is going this year, and I want to make Christmas as relaxing as possible. I am going to be wrapping stocking fillers on Junes Rudy day, while I am at it I will check wrapping supplies, tags, tape etc and make sure that I am organized with that. I am determined to get as much done as I can now so that I can enjoy the magic of Christmas this year.

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
It's getting close! Only six months... that's 12 paydays! (I get paid fortnightly :) )

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Sarah.. i also get paid fortnightly and when you break it down there is not too much time left. I shop fortnightly and when I divided up my Christmas shopping list over those remaining shopping trips I only just manage to get it all in. The problem for me this year is that I will be missing a month in September/October when I will be overseas. I have to really hustle this year to get it all done.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
We did the greatest thing last year that was Christmas Magic to me. At camp we have this huge hill that we go sledding at every couple of years or so now. It used to be all of the time. Last year the first day of Chrismas break which was the day before Christmas Eve our whole family and a bunch of friends had a sledding party we had about 40 people down their. My brother went down into camp early and started smoking turkey breasts, everyone brought food and snacks. Our hill is huge you have to use the four wheelers or snowmobiles to get back up it without it taking you forever. After about 4 hours of sledding and snowboarding (which was a riot to watch some of the adults do) we all went down to camp and ate and just hung out. Pond wasn't frozen enough to skate on so none of that. There were a few snowball fights going on and kids being thrown in the snow as well as some adults. Little ones stayed in camp where it was warm as well as everyone warming up in there. It was a great day and we have decided to do the same this year