How Do You Rest?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
What role does "resting" have in your life?

I am not talking about sleep - we probably all agree that sleep is important. I'm talking about additional kinds of rest.

Do you rest differently in summer? For example, do you try to lie down during the day -- or after you get home from work, to recover from the heat? If you are having a really busy week, do you try to rest up in advance on the weekend? Can you actually "store up" rest? Or can you just recover from the damage done by the extra-busy week?

Do you rest by closing your eyes and listening to music? Do you consider "reading" to be recreation, or rest? How about watching television? Or are you so busy that you just "dream" about resting?

There is a great tradition of "summer beach reading". That is, finding delicious books that are fun and entertaining to read -- they need no redeeming social value. They are meant to be enjoyed while lounging - in a hammock, or on a blanket outside, or any other deliciously restful spot. This is a tradition that I thiink we should fight to maintain.

I remember wonderful summers as a camp counselor. We would go to our cabins for a couple of hours after lunch. Everyone would get onto their bunks and have to be quiet. The kids fell asleep - always. So did we counselors, or we read or wrote letters. We considered it necessary for our physical and mental health. Our job was to have fun at camp -- and rest was necessary for that.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
This is a great thread...and so true.

Lately I have not had the time to REST and it is taking a bit of a toll. The thing about resting is for it to really be RESTFUL....you can't have ten million things going on inside your head...Like lately I might sit down but I don't really REST as my mind is still going. So here are some things that have worked for me in the past and I need to start doing again.

1. When school is out in the summer I always rested from 2-3 in the afternoon sometimes I'd take a little nap or just rest on the bed thinking pleasant thoughts.

2. YOGA...this is a great mind clearer....i used to do it a few times a week,,,,nothing complicated just the simple moves

3. Reading a good book...if I can get my mind clear first...otherwise I can't concentrate. Sipping iced tea and playing some nature sounds on CD

4. Writing in my journal can be restful...just depends on the day and my thoughts

5. Crafting can be restful...at times...again depending on the circumstances.

I'm sure I'll think of some more...anxious to hear others thoughts.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
My first choice for resting in the summer is a novel or magazine and our lounge chair on the deck. If it's the afternoon, I'm asleep for at least a little bit.

I remember "Quiet Time" at camp too, SparkleNana! I was a camp counselor throughout college and a little beyond. We relished those hours-both the kids and the counselors. I have impletmented something similar at my home in the summers. For 30-40 minutes after lunch, the kids and I have a quiet time-we can do anything we want as long as we are alone and quiet-read, draw, daydream, etc. We don't get it in everyday, but try to several times during the week.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I don't get "rest" besides sleeping. If i'm not moving, my mind is still always going a million miles a minute. I am planning on starting to try meditation but it's going to be very difficult for me because I cannot quiet my mind. I do love to read so I guess that could be considered my "rest" time when i'm laying in bed at night before falling asleep. I have started only watching TV in the living room and then going to bed and reading for at least half an hour before turning out the light and going to sleep.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
This is a good subject. I don't rest much, either, because I feel GUILTY when I lie down during the day. Last summer I made the kids rest from 12:30-1:30 p.m. every day. I would lie on the sofa and usually end up asleep. The funny thing was they never got up at 1:30-it was usually closer to 2 and sometimes even later than that when they would come out of their rooms. I plan on doing that again this summer.

My DH is a house painter and he works so hard, especially in the summer heat. He comes in every afternoon and naps for about an hour. Every afternoon. He says it makes him feel like he can make it until bedtime!

Pamelajane

Retire Member
Apr 19, 2008
Hertfordshire.UK.
I used to run a Girl Scout Troop, known as Brownies here in the U.K and when i used to take them away to camp we too use to have 'rest hour' after lunch, they had to sit on their beds the first half in silence(!) and then they could talk. They used to love it and so did the leaders as we would recharge for the rest of the day.

I too feel guilty when i rest but my Parents are always telling me to slow down, i tell myself 'what am i trying to teach my children'?, i have two girls one 11 and one 9 and a son of 6, i know that in the future i would want them to not feel guilty about taking time to Rest so tell myself that i am setting them an example that i hope they will follow.

I like reading for relaxation but i think that when you rest it's about letting yourself 'just be' .

Pamelajane

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Rest or Quiet time is just as important as the food you feed your body. It should routine for everyone.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
For me trying to rest is just as stressful as doing something, lol. My husband could nap anytime anywhere. Whenever I try I lie there thinking of all the things I could be doing, and planning things until I know I'll never fall asleep!

I like to take a bath with bath salts or a bath bomb and read.

Also, nothing beats a hot cup of tea for a quick relaxing break.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't get a lot of rest time but when I do I like to work the Sudoku puzzles. They are quite challenging and at the same time, relaxing to me.

Sometimes I like to sit quietly in the livingroom for a few minutes when I get home from work - no music, tv, nothing. Most of the time I find myself falling to sleep but only for about half an hour.

I enjoy sitting out on my balcony especially in the spring. I'll turn on the stereo and sit out there drinking ice tea and watching the squirrels chase each other. They are quite comical sometimes.

Another thing I like to do is take drives along the back roads through farm areas and such. I'll stop at a produce stand and buy some fresh fruit then just sit in my car listening to some jazz looking at the horses and cows grazing in the grass, eating my fruit.

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
I love to read BUT I have to be careful- when I start a book sometimes I have a hard time putting it down until it is done and I zone out everything else. I need to set a chapter limit at night.

If I can I take a nap but most days I can't due to work.

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
I rest throughout the day by focusing on my breath and quieting my mind so that I am focused on the present moment. Then I continue with what I'm doing, but I'm not lost in thought, causing needless heartache or anxiety. Work or play, this is what works for me personally.

I know when I've lost my way when I can't sit still or enjoy silence, so I give myself a booster shot of consciousness. :flower:

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I'm someone whose mind is always going, but I'm getting better at resting and relaxing. In the summer, I read novels and magazines. That is resting to me, since I have little time to read during the school year. I have to be engaged in something to rest if that makes any sense. :slap: We go to camp and head out on the boat and that can be restful too.

Lisa

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Sunday I rested most of the afternoon. I spent it scrapping. It was luxurious!!!!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I am so proud of you for scrapping!!

hollybow

Retire Member
May 19, 2008
I love to read to relax.. I have 10 books I can read over and over again...listening to a nature sounds CD and a nice cup of hot tea will do it for me....

christmascreations said:
not much "resting" going on here with baseball season still going. We just started city tournaments and then my oldest made allstars so I am not sure where rest will come to play. But I will do my best to work on it.

UPDATE: well I was off of work last weekend and let me tell you that I finally rested. I didn't sleep after all I am a single mom with 3 boys BUT I just hung out and watched the SO You Think You Can Dance marathon (last years) on MTV. I thoroughly enjoyed it even though I felt a little guilty for not deep cleaning the house but heck it was my only weekend this month that I only had to work ONE of my weekend jobs.