How do you store your nativities?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

zchristy

Santa's Elves
I have 2 wood nativities- one ebony set purchased in malawi this year and one from Ten Thousand Villages that is made of olive from Jerusalem. They're my treasures.

Problem is, they did not come in packaging for safe storage- they came home in plastic bags. How can i store all of the figurines safely so they don;t scratch. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I would wrap them in bubble wrap and put them in a box. Plastic or cardboard. I have all mine together (a small collection) in a plastic tote about a 5 gallon size.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I wrap mine in tissue paper first and then in bubble wrap and store the pieces in a rubbermaid tote.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
All mine that came in boxes, I have in their original boxes. The ones that didn't, I have wrapped in tissue paper. Then both are in one large tote together.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
My Nativity is a ceramic set that my best friend's mom made for me back in 1988 as an engagement gift. I have treasured it always, and now even more that she has passed away. I have always wrapped each piece in bubble wrap and they are kept in a bin that allows for no wiggle room, and nothing else is stored in with them.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I would wrap them in bubble wrap and put them in a box. Plastic or cardboard. I have all mine together (a small collection) in a plastic tote about a 5 gallon size.

This is the best way to store them.

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
Hi all,

I agree with wrapping individual items. Just be careful, if the items are porous you would want to use acid-free tissue, not the coloured kind used for gifts; it can bleed and may stain your objects. Also, I would be careful with storing wooden objects in bubble wrap, as the plastic might react with the oils in the wood. I wrap my hummel nativity set in felt and store the individual pieces in the manger. I then wrap the manger in a cotton-flannel sheet and place the entire bundle in a Rubbermaid tote.

Happy wrapping!

Gidget-

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
zchristy, your nativity sets sound beautiful! And, Gidget, lucky you to have a Hummel set! I love my nativity sets. I have a good-sized Fontanini set that came in individual boxes, and are stored in them. I also have a miniature Fontanini set that came in one box. I store the little pieces in the stable in its box. I also am lucky enough to have a Waterford crystal set that my husband gave me one piece at a time over several Christmases. They came in individual boxes with velvet (ish) linings, so they, too, are stored in their boxes. I love hearing about everyone's nativity sets. Each one is special. I had one that I made of plaster of paris and molds when I was in the 4th grade. I don't know what happened to it, but we spent 30 years moving with the Navy, so who knows. It was crudely painted, but I'm really sorry it's gone. I hope someone somewhere is enjoying it at Christmastime.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I would wrap in paper that is considered 'safe' for art work - such as the 'acid free' kind, before placing in bubble wrap. The plastic tote is a good idea (water and insect proof) - you may want to think of using brown paper packaging filler to keep the pieces from further bumping or if the box is dropped.