HP- Week 45

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
It is our 11th month of the Happiness Project. This month our focus is: Keep a Contented Heart. Corresponding pages: 258-276. So far this month, we have worked on: Laughing Out Loud, Using Good Manners, and this week we add: Give Positive Reviews. Corresponding reading pages: 268-273.

Gretchen noticed that she wanted to be more enthusiastic towards others and to not be so critical. What was it about wanting to critisize? For one thing, it was fun! It made her feel more sophisticated and intelligent to the other person.

A study showed that people tend to think that someone who criticizes them is smarter than they are.

People can also bring down a group, by deflating a popular opinion. For example, if the group proclaims they all love a restaurant and one person goes against it, they hold the power at bringing the group's mood crashing down.

Gretchen noticed that she enjoyed being with people that were more enthusiastic types, the ones who seem less judgmental,
more vital, more fun!

She wanted to embrace this type of zest. So, she stopped making certain kinds on unnecessarily negative statements. For example,when she and her DH got to get away to a movie in the afternoon. Instead of giving her review of the movie, she instead said, "It was such a teat to go see a movie in the afternoon."

Once she began giving positive reviews, she began to see how she had sucked the energy and cheer from the joyous people in her life.

She even decided to have a Pollyanna week- where she would go through each day without making a negative comment. Of course, right away life began throwing her challenges to this.

This Week's Resolution: Give Positive Reviews.

This Week's Thought: It is easy to be heavy; hard to be light.

Share your thoughts, journey here this week.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
It's definitely hard to be light...and I am not a good "faker": saying something is great when I really don't feel that way or diguising it as something else. I think people can see right through me with that. I'll definitely try being more positive in my language. I'm also working on my tone of voice. Just keeping that light too. We'll see how it works with the 6th graders.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I did not like shows like Pollyanna or Tammy when I was growing up (or even now). They seemed so fake to me. "Oh, my head was blown off isn't that nice" just didn't seem real to me. lol

I am a happy person who can shake off most things in my life. Once in awhile I'll have a few down days but I figure that's ok since I probably need that time to recharge. One thing I've noticed is the better my sleep the better my mood.

And yes I did start this off with a negative comment on purpose. I suggest that Gretchen toss the next sick child in dh lap and she run for the towel. lol

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I agree with both Lisa and Diedra...I am not a good faker, and some would say that I don't suffer fools gladly. ;) A pollyanna week for me would be torture! But I can try to be more positive - really, I can! I do try not to give negative reviews unless I'm speaking with someone I know very well &/or they ask for a sincere opinion.

My SIL is a wonderful person, but she paints everything pink! I swear I don't take anything she says seriously bacause it's almost always a fictitious, "positive" account of whatever really happened or what she's really feeling. There needs to be a happy medium somewhere!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
How is everyone doing at giving Positive Reviews?

It can be hard with so much craziness going on!

I don't believe in the Pollyanna- everything through rose colored glasses.
I do know what Gretchen means about with a group and there always seems to be someone who is a buzz kill. Ex: The group wants to go to a certain movie and one other person talks negatively about it and wants to go to another movie.
Or restaurant. And then when going to the movie or restaurant that the majority picked the one person is grouchy about it and makes sure everyone knows.

I think there are some people who are naturally grumpy and some people that are naturally positive and happy.
The question is: If you are someone who is naturally grumpy, can you change into some one who is more positive?
I believe you can. Your natural tendency will always be to be grumpy but you can think about what you are going to say and reword it and you can remind yourself to turn that frown upside down. :)

These are my opinions only.

Annie

Last edited:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Thanks for heading back into a positive direction! I needed that.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I get what she is saying about the movie/restaurant choice...honestly, many times I end up going along with the group and not really wanting to do so, but I don't complain about it. I go along with the flow.

I am a naturally happy person...things happened in my life that caused hurt, pain and stress and have changed me. I'm certainly not "my former self" as of late. It's tough. I wouldn't say I'm grumpy though.