Hubby home---now comes visitors....

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
I'm gonna need some ideas. My husband was in an accident this weekend where he almost lost his arm (and life).... We are so blessed because his main artery was just missed--and the doctors were able to tie off a vein, re attach muscle, skin etc. My husband has his whole arm wrapped up---and we are blessed because he can control and use his thumb, pointer and middle finger and still has some feeling in his ring finger. His pinky has no feeling right now, but he's alive and his arm is attached. Anyway.... he is coming home and wants to visit with his family and friends. So people have already called him and me and promised to stop by. we LOVE company and people have been fantastic when my hubby needs a break. Just wanting advice on snacks etc. I can easily grab for when the in-laws come and stop in (they are a few hours away and we rarely see them, but they were up after the accident and will be coming up again in the next day or two to help). I already have some bags of chex mix, chips and dip. Just kind of need ideas that will be easy, inexpensive, and help me keep my sanity.

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
My goodness! How awful! I'm happy that your husband is doing so well. As for visitors, I hope they will be considerate, and bring food with them when they come, instead of expecting you to entertain them! Just in case, having on hand some deli meats and cheese, pickles, bread, crackers, nuts, cookies, and whatever drinks you'd like, might be a good idea. They should certainly not expect you to go to a lot of trouble for them at a time like this! Good luck and God bless!

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Creative Mom

I wouldn't worry about the entertainment of others. Your main priority is your husband and his welfare. I agree with Christmas Rose; hopefully, people will be bringing food to YOU! But you sound like a lovely person, and want to please. Make it easy on yourself. Crackers, cheeses, cut veggies (that you can get precut at the grocery). As I said, make it easy on you. Have bread and some lunch meat, and let people make themselves a sandwich, have some chips. I am so glad that your husband was not injured more severely and will pray for a complete and speedy recovery. Remember: he comes first~and so do you; you are a team!! Blessings to you and your hubby.

:bigsnow:

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
Wishing your hubby a speedy recovery. I would also have peanut butter and jelly available and some cookies, just to make it easy on yourself. Hopefully all will bring some food to share with you as well.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Good luck to you and your husband! I wish him a speedy recovery.

Veggies, dips, crackers, cheese, cold cuts, beverages, ... try to freeze stuff (spaghetti sauce, chili, sausages, etc...)... use the crockpot...

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I too am sorry to hear about your hubby! So glad that it turned out at least this good! I would just worry about him and let others fend for themselves. But that is easier said than done. Sloppy joes can be put in a crockpot as can spaghetti and both are filling. Little smokies in a crockpot with chips.

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
How scary, but what a blessing that hubby is home, and is recovering so well...I can't really add anything, except those $5.00 Lil Caesar pizzas are handy for a crowd if they are staying for a meal, and otherwise, you are doing fine with what you have...don't forget to take care of yourself!! Sending you a hug :grouphug:

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I am so sorry! :grouphug: I pray your husband has a full recovery.

Darcy

Retire Member
Jan 1, 2008
Thank God your husband will be OK. Blessing to you and your family! :grouphug:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Creativemom -- I have been thinking about you and your husband, and sending you both lots of good wishes! :grouphug:

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
My husband has made much progress in 4 weeks. Just got a new brace on his arm and can now bend his arm 60 degrees. The healing has been amazing! We are so blessed! He has therapy 2 times a week (in october he'll have some therapy local instead of being over an hour away). It will be a couple months before he'll have no brace and be able to lift 20 lbs... and about 5 more months until he's fully released to "normal".

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
THAT is fabulous! He really has done well in only a month! I see a great holiday season in your family's future! :package: :package:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Creativemom -- what a WONDERFUL update! What good news about your husband's progress!

I imagine you are very very exhausted! Combine the huge emotional stress - with the hospital visits - then taking your husband to therapy! AND all the things your husband would have taken care of - that have fallen to you. Plus all the visitors - and keeping people updated! Wow!

I would be very eager to hear what things friends (and relatives) did that was helpful to you. I think this kind of information helps our MHH family be more genuinely helpful when emergencies arise. For example - did people bring food when they came to your house to visit? Did they do errands or chores for you? What was helpful? And - were there any things that were NOT helpful?

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
SparkleNana, what excellent questions! I often find myself doing nothing, because I don't know people well enough to know what would be helpful to them, and what would not. My intentions are good, but I wait so long, trying to figure out what to do, that the time to do it has gone by!

Creativemom, I'm so happy for you and your husband, and know you both must be worn out! Please, when you have time, do us all a kindness by answering SparkleNana's questions. Thanks!

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
creativemom~glad to hear the good news of how well your hubby is doing. Now, how are YOU? You and your family will really have a lot to be thankful for come Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Many blessings to you both!!

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
We have such creative people who love us! Seriously! Here are just some of my favorite things that people did to help:

We have friends all over the country (they've moved through the years) but upon hearing about DH--they call once a week just to remind me they love us, sometimes to let me vent, and give me something to look forward to. That and emails not overwhelming, just one or two a week to let me know we are in prayers and loved)

One family filled 3 bags full of the snack/treat stuff that we normally don't buy (especially not when going through stressors). --Chips, fruit roll ups, spinach dip, drink mixes (those for shaking in the bottle), m&m's, candy, popcorn etc. Seriously--genious!

Gift certificates: gas cards, pizza hut, restaurants, Walmart etc! So nice!

Babysitting (without notice) and a couple took DH to a couple doctor appointments so I could have a break and get some stuff done at home!

Freezer treats: we were given some frozen pizzas, ice cream treats, frozen meals! What a godsend! Most people either dont' know what to do or all want to give at the same time! Things like DH accident have consequences that last for months--so this gives help when it's needed.

We have Chamber bucks here. They look like checks and are good most places in the county--for groceries, restaurants, gas, specialty shops etc. (We love these)

a number of people dropped off food---which was so sweet, but got a little overwhelming. This was one of those things where I wish people would be careful. When I drop off food I generally hand it at the door and give those inexpensive plastic containers (freezer, to oven or microwave, to fridge) so that they don't have to return things. A number of people pushed past me to see DH and wanted to see my house (strange). Also consider things like kids. We ended up having a pizza night (so many wonderful fancy cooks in our presence!! It's overwhelming for a family with kids). We LOVED the special treats people would add! (Ice cream dibs were a HIT) I don't mean to sound unappreciative--we really did like the meals.

Stamps and garbage stickers from one person were really sweet.

My mom and a friend of ours each took a day (different saturdays) where they "hung out" with my guys so I could scrapbook and getaway for a little while. While I was gone--my Mom took the guys to Lowes and did a project with DS, then got them food, came home washed my floor, and put soup and bread in the fridge! such a treat. Twice I needed help picking up my son--and my rescuer called and took him to the library, read books, played legos and cars... and took him for ice cream. That means more than I can ever tell you!

2 people did picnics. (Sounds strange huh?) One woman invited me to a picnic in the park--just a couple of us women. All of us are going through different situations and needed "cheering up". We had subs in the park and just talked for a couple hours. So so nice! Another picnic was brought to use--unannounced! Someone called our pastor (my dad) and asked about our favorite things and for a day that would work. Then he brought a brand new cooler--filled with soda, chips, sandwich fixings, treats, napkins, a ton of paper plates, plastic silverware, blanket the whole nine yards! Every single detail was thought of. Aparently they pick a family every other month or every month and deliver a picnic to them but remain completely anonymous. Both were amazing humbling experiences I hope I never forget.

Checks or cash were also very very helpful. (A couple people had no name, address, or anything so I couldn't send a thank you... but it was just nice to be able to put it towards bills and gas etc. )

We have had friends from all over who have called us and visited and it has made all the difference! Knowing they were coming gave us something to look forward to--and cheered up DH on the rough days). Going out for ice cream was a treat just to get out of the house for a while. It was so nice to have cheese, sausage, crackers, veggies and treats on hand. (Because everyone was so generous with us--and we LOVE to host get togethers anytime large and small... that made us feel "normal")
The farther out we get... the better it feels. The notes people sent cheered us--the hugs I got sometimes brought me to tears. We read and re-read the notes. The information we have gotten: people who have offered use of their vehicles, time, good therapists in our area, programs and assistance that can help in situations, information they learned the hard way etc. I can't stress enough how important information is.
For now we take it one day at a time. DH has his new brace at 70 degrees bent now. We had to rent a vehicle so he could go back to work (or he would have been fired. and they wouldn't allow him to use the company car he had before his arm was hurt by the chainsaw). We are so thankful to all the people we are surrounded by. Now we get the honor of paying it forward to a couple families we have heard about. God Bless You!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Creativemom -- thank you so much for taking the time to share these things with us! I NEVER would have thought of many of these things -- but as soon as you mentioned them, I could see what great ideas they are! I think these ideas can help make us all better friends. I will save this page from you! :grouphug:

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
creative mom

Thank you for sharing all of this with us. It has also given me some new ideas on how to help others, which is one of my favorite things to do.

I am grateful that your hubby is on the mend, and also that people thought of you and your family in total and individually. You have many people who love you, and a person cannot ask for more than that.

JayOkie

Retire Member
Oct 19, 2007
NE Oklahoma
for whatever reason, I'm just now seeing this. I'm so glad your husb is recovering and able to return to work. Altho awkward, I'm sure, it's surely a help emotionally (as well as financially). I'll add my thanks for all the ways people helped and are helping you. I'm sure most, if not all, of us have read of things we'd not thought of previously.

Do continue to take care of yourself as well as your family, and thanks SO much for taking the time to share the 'help' ideas!!

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
Best wishes to your your husband for a speedy recovery and to you for strength and support. My advice to you would be to take advantage of premade foods at your green grocer, take away, and caterers.