I RESOLVE to learn how to make biscuits!!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
My word for this year is Resolve and last night I decided I was going to learn to make homemade biscuits. Yes, it's simple but I've been wanting to do it for year and years now and haven't. ANNNNNDDDDD if I get brave, maybe I'll try making bread at some point. I'll get back with you on that though. Does anyone have a good old fashion biscuit recipe they can share?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'd love to bake biscuits too!! have never tried it. The only bread I've tried is beer bread because it's so simple.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
We have done biscuits using bisquick mix. It's still homemade of sorts but not completly from scratch. I love those.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I have several biscuit recipes and never tried any of them either. I have made homemade bread before but not biscuits. However, my mom makes these for the holidays and they are great!

Aunt Judy's Ice Box Rolls

2/3 c. sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
1/2 c. warm water
5 c. flour
2 egg whites beat stiff
2/3 c. Crisco
1 c. scalded milk
1 pkg. yeast
1 c. mashed potatoes

Put potatoes, crisco, sugar and milk in mixing bowl and let cool. When cold add yeast that has been dissolved in the 1/2 cup warm water. Add salt and mix these. Add egg whites beaten stiff and flour until stiff enough to knead. Knead 10 minutes using all the flour. Put in greased bowl w/tight cover and store in refrigerator 8 hours to one week. When ready to use, roll out amount desired to about 1/2" thick, cut out, place in greased pan, let rise about 2 hours. Bake at 400* 12 to 15 minutes.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Biscuits

4 cups flour
1 Tablespoon salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
2 teasppns baking soda
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 cup solid shortening
1 3/4 cup buttermilk
Sift dry ingredients into large bowl. Add shortening and cut with pastry cutter until it resembles fine crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the buttermilk. Work with a fork, gently stir just until combined.. Turn out onto a sheet of parchment paper lightly floured. Press with hand to about 1" thick. Spread with 2-3 Tablesppns soft butter. Fold the dough over on itself 3~4 times. Press out to 1 to 1 1/2" thick. Cut into biscuits. About 15 biscuits. Place on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes.

Says the key to good biscuits is to stir the ingredients together just until combined and handle dough as little as possible.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Yum! Thanks for the recipes. Biscuits are something I've not tried either. I've watched my mom try often and she complains that they are like hockey pucks. I always figured that if she can't do it there is no way I can but maybe I'll give it a whirl and see what happens. Thanks for sharing your goal and getting others excited about trying something new!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'll get some buttermilk while I"m out today and give it a try tomorrow. :)

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
You can make buttermilk by adding some vinegar to regular milk. Google it and you'll find exact measurements.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I forgot the buttermilk, so I will do it that way. I use that method for Irish Soda Bread too. Just don't use enough buttermilk to justify buying it usually.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Well ....

I make biscuits, but they just never rise. A friend mentioned to my that she uses her grandma's old flat cookie sheet and it works great. I have those "air" cookie sheet pans ... and I guess her theory was that those are bad for biscuits. Hmmmm. I mean we eat them, they just aren't very high!! I just use some old recipe from the old Betty Crocker cook book.

:fireplace:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
My DH was out of work for about a year. The one and only time in his life when he didn't work. So he enjoyed his time off. I was working so he cooked dinner and appartenly was watching TV. One day he's telling me about this cooking show, yep a cooking show he'd watch that had made the best sounding biscuits but he didn't write down the recipe. I asked what show but he wasn't so into it to know but described the host guy, Frugal Gourmet. I walked over to my cookbook collection, handed him the book with his biscuit recipe. They are the best biscuits. DO NOT OVERMIX, they will get tough. If my DH can make them anyone can. You do need an iron skillet. Don't have one? Beg, borrow or steal one. (ok, don't really steal one)

Harriet's Southern Biscuits

1 cup Flour --plus
2 tablespoon Flour
1 teaspoon Baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 tablespoon Shortening
1/2 cup Buttermilk
1 tablespoon Shortening --for frying pan

Mix the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Blend in the
shortening until the mixture is coarse and grainy. Harriet uses a
fork, but I have better luck with a pastry blender. Then, using a
fork, stir in the buttermilk. Do not overmix. Put out on a floured
board or marble pastry board and knead just a few times. Pat out the
dough to about 1/2-inch thick. Cut with a biscuit cutter or a glass.
(Flour the cutter.) Do not handle the dough too much or it will get
tough. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Use a heavy black iron frying
pan. Place the 1 tablespoon shortening in the frying pan and put the
frying pan in the oven for about 7 minutes. Remove the pan from the
oven and place the biscuits in the pan. Turn each once in the oil and
bake the biscuits at 500 degrees for 10 minutes or until light brown.
Makes 6 to 8 biscuits.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Yum!

I ready for breakfast now!

:fireplace:

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Go to this link: http://www.marthawhite.com/Recipes/Detail.aspx?recipeID=2476.

It is the one I use in my classes to teach students how to make biscuits. Don't handle the dough too much as that is what makes them tough.

There are many other good recipes on that site as well. Don't give up. Keep on trying. You'll get the hang of it.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I love biscuits! I will have to try some this weekend...maybe tomorrow for breakfast!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Where do you teach MissJane?

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
You guys are awesome. Now I've got multiple recipes to try. My DH is not to excited. He doesn't love bisquits like I do. LOL

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I teach high school students 9-12 home economics...now called family and consumer science.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
That's so what I want to do. Either be a "Family and Consumer Science" teacher or a professional organizer. I was really considering it last year, talked to a few people, but everyone tells me around here it's being cut more and more and that's just upsetting to me.

Christmas Girl

Retire Member
Jul 24, 2009
Scotland
Being from the UK this is not something I've ever heard of - biscuits to us are what you call cookies. Just looked at them on youtube and they look delicious. What do you usually eat them with? I'd like to give them a try but wasn't too sure

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
The biscuits are good with butter on them or honey, jelly or jam. They are ate at breakfast with bacon, ham, whatever and then some people fix them along with their main meal to have.

Biscuits and gravy are a favorite.

Last edited: