Ideas/Preparation For Christmas 2010

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Probably not tonight..... but SOME time..... I am going to try to think about how a "Crunch Time".... such as the one we have just gone through...... how such a "Crunch Time" would affect us in December? How about if it were Christmas Week?

I don't want to put this off for too long..... I want to think about this while the effects of "Crunch Time" are still very fresh in my mind.

What do you think?

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
SparkleNana I had a very bad lead up to Christmas 2009 as I had severely injured my back and was out of commission for a few weeks. Luckily with some forward planning things turned out to be OK. I had plenty of foods in the pantry and freezer, both festive Christmas foods and baking, and also staples. Food was no problem. Bills are always up to date here, so no problem. Christmas gifts were bought thanks to all year round shopping and Rudolph day planning. No problem there. The real issue was that NONE of the gifts were wrapped. OK maybe not a big problem when your children are 21 and 16 but for me it was a major disaster. I was contemplating at one stage just tossing unwrapped gifts under the tree and people could grab what they wanted.

CRUNCH TIME What could I do. Suddenly I had volunteers from my work place and my dear mum organizing a wrapping party at my house. As it was I only needed a little help and managed to do most of it on my own. Crisis averted. BUT it has shown me that
A) This year I must be more organized in case disaster strikes again and
B) There are always people in my life who are willing to help me out when I need it and for that I am very grateful.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Sweetpumpkinpye --- your post has just described the miracles that year-round preparation can provide! I wonder how many people could have such a happy, peaceful Christmas in that situation? I doubt that 1 in 1,000 families would be that prepared! It is SUCH a wonderful goal --- and look how great it was that you WERE so prepared!

And you really pointed out the most important reason for such preparation...... the children in our lives NEED that Christmas magic to happen! Adults can "understand" -- and deal pretty well with their disappointment........ but we do not want children to suffer at Christmas!

And, to tell the truth, WE don't want to miss the joy of Christmas....... even if something bad happens! What an inspiring and wonderful example you give us!!!!!

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
I didn't see this post!!!

Last year when Christmas arrived I freaked. I didn't have my gifts done... I had to scramble. I hate scrambling. Since I spend so much time "being sick" or resting. I have decided to use my down time productively (of course only if I feel up to it). I have put small projects beside my therapy chair and knitting projects beside the couch. Even 5 minutes working on a project is helpful.

I just got a new computer and I entered in my Holiday Grand Plan stuff notes and to do lists in my calendar program. Each day when I open the program it will tell me what I need to work on each day (little projects). My motto for Christmas prep this year is "baby steps".

"Baby steps" is my plan not only for Christmas but for other holidays as well. I am also lowering my expectation...simpler is better.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Cmerth -- simpler is DEFINITELY better! ESPECIALLY at Christmas -- when the possibilities for "going over the top" are endless! EVERYTHING Christmassy looks just wonderful! But -- we simply can't fit EVERYTHING into our space!!!!!

It's now the middle of April, 2010....... and I am constantly working at trying to make things MORE simple. In baby steps. Sometimes -- just 15-minutes a day! Trying to declutter. To "downsize". To "have LESS stuff" to deal with.

We NOW have...... about 250 days..... until Christmas 2010! 250 days is quite a good chunk of time for decluttering! Even allowing for the fact that there will be MANY days when we won't be able to do ANY decluttering at all! (BECAUSE we all know that "real life happens!")

Decluttering, simplifying, organizing..... THAT is certainly the best way that I can prepare for Christmas 2010! How about you? What do you think?

festivefun

Retire Member
Feb 25, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
I think you are so right SN! Baby steps all the way. I think the de-cluttering is such an important element for me. I know I'm more likely to run around my house with a duster or hoover if the place looks organised without random areas of 'stuff'. With moving back with my mum and dad in the interim there is only little I can do but one of the main things has been throwing things out, which I've never been good at.

I know that this will lead to a habit that I can maintain most of the time. I am also SO determined to move into a new place eventually slowly and find a place for things slowly too. By Christmas 2010 I want a maintainable home for me, my OH and his daughter allowing to celebration in December.

Other ideas I've had from this thread is how to focus my Rudolph Day. If I don't get the chance before Sunday, that will be part of my Ruddy day in April, brainstorming the stuff I can get done early.

You are all such an inspiration in my life. I feel so grateful to be here.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Little steps. I have been using the little steps philosophy over the last few weeks and it works. When I get home from work I tackle one thing, and the another and so on and before I know it alot has been done. There is no great stress, just the gentle bobbing along getting things done. I like baby steps