Ideas/Preparation For Christmas 2010

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Caitsmom -- what a great link! Thank you so much!

Housewife2 -- wrapping gifts earlier is a real big goal for me! This year -- dh and I were wrapping the last of the grandchildrens' gifts -- minutues before we got in the car to take them over! Aaagggrrr!

Trouble is -- as somebody mentioned here -- if we wrap them early -- then we can't remember what they look like........ this could probably be fixed by writing a good description of the gift in our Christmas notebook...... which would probably be ok. Because -- I wait until December to buy the "big gift" for each child. Big - because electronic games cost a lot ($50). I need to know which game they want and don't have. The other gifts are pretty "classic" gifts bought during the year..... great games (when they are on half-price sale. Not electronic games -- games like the ones in Barnes & Noble.) Or books. Sports stuff.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Well......my goal for Jnauary is to clean out the closet in my office....its not a big closet BUT I want to use it as a GIFT closet....because it will be so much better than having things tucked here and there in drawers etc....or downstairs in a tote where I forget about them etc....I want to buy one of those pouch like organizers to hang on the inside of the door for tucking little gifts etc away that might otherwise get lost....IDK....I'll let you know how it goes....

beccaw

Retire Member
Jul 22, 2009
Somehow this year I managed not to have enough batteries, so I'm deffinitely adding those to my shopping list for supplies. The other thing I didn't have made early enough this year was gift tags. I thought maybe my 4 yo would help make them out of old Christmas cards, but he wasn't interested, and I guess I just procrastinated on them.

At least recording them now and building these items in my plan for next year will help me be even more organized in 2010. Thanks for the inspiration ladies! :)

scn

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Northeast PA
I've always liked the idea of making a few cards each month. This year my honey and I made ours together, and last night I was telling him about Rudolph Day. He would rather start earlier (like I usually do) and do them all at once. That's fine with me...this morning while on FaceBook and seeing that I have a few friends with birthdays coming up, I got the idea of, on the 25th of each month, I'll make birthday cards for any/all birthdays coming up in the next month. With moving cross country this year, I haven't sent a birthday card out, oh probably since last March! lol I know it's not Christmas, but it will definitely help keeping me more organized and on the ball.

Not sure what else I'll do...I don't have a lot of people to buy for. I have a few very very close friends, from childhood (I'm 48!), and I think I might want to make them scrapbook albums...not sure of what though, we'll see.

Anyway, enough rambling...I love reading everyone's posts...so many great great ideas!!

here is a blog for christmas & birthday
http://christmasandbirthdaycards.blogspot.com/

Caitsmum thank you that it is it

Last edited:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I am making a list of things I want to remember for next year and then making two copies of it...one for my Christmas notebook-which I never took out of the cabinet this year-and one in my daily planner on the notebook pages. I bought a new spiral daily calendar/planner for 2010 and it has several note pages in the back. So I'll be making notes there as well. I also am making a "bolo" list-things to be on the lookout for all year long. Things like vintage ornaments and mercury glass anything and vintage glassware. Things I can use for decorations or gifts depending on who's names we draw.

More thoughts going into this..I'll be back...

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
This year I had started wrapping the week before Thanksgiving. That is the earliest I ever started wrapping. That was a big help for me. Next year I am planning on starting my wrapping in the beginning of November along with my Christmas cards. I was the type of person that had to wait until the decorations were up before I started my wrapping or cards, thought I needed that christmassy feeling first. Well you know what...I popped in a christmas scented tart in the tart warmer, popped in a christmas cd, got a cup of cocoa and went at it and that got me into feeling christmassy! (pretty soon alot of places will start marking down their fall/christmas scented tarts and candles so that would be a perfect time to stock up and use through out the year when you feel the need to feel christmassy)

Now that DD is getting older she is given more chores around the house which is a big help.

A big CLUTTER pit fall for us was the mail - lots of junk mail. Well now we keep the shredder in the dinningroom out of the way but still in a useful spot. When the junk mail comes arrives it goes right into the shredder. Also start switching some of the bills to paperless - less things to shred now!

I plan on trying to make meals ahead of time to freeze for all those hectic nights that occur for us especially from Sept through the holidays. Have a list of some recipes I will try this winter and spring.

I created a spread sheet to keep of the gifts that I already bought and the ones I will buy through out the year for Christmas. No more last minute running out to the store beacuse we forgot to buy a gift for so and so or bought too many for one child and not enough for the other child.

I am curently writing down all the stressfull times/events that we endured but could have been avoided this season to help us stay motivated in avoiding them next season.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Great ideas Minta! I hadn't thought about that 'stress list', that's good!

Berta

MHH Member
Dec 30, 2007
Awesome thread! I seriously need to take more advantage of the summer and fall months.... A few things that have helped me over the years, and that I need to make sure I do again in 2010...

1) Decide on Christmas Card design by June 25th:
a) If design comes from a sketch by DD, ink and xerox by July 25th. Place in basket
near "my chair" with all supplies for coloring, etc. to work on in evenings.
b) If design needs crafting, complete 10-12 cards per month. Inventory supplies &
purchase any needed items during Christmas in July sale at craft stores.
c) Have all cards ready to mail by Dec. 7th

2) Stamp gift cards and have ready to go by June 25. File in envelope & place in Christmas
wrapping box.

3) Make sure to stock the pantry, using super sales + coupons throughout the year, so as
to be prepared when nasty weather hits. Don't forget road salt!!!!

4) Stock freezer with casseroles, homemade spaghetti sauce, stew, tortellini soup, chili,
etc. thru the fall (by mid-Oct.) so as to be ready for quick winter dinners.

5) Begin holiday baking in mid-October. If nothing else, freeze cookie dough balls for later
baking.

Off to make more notes!

6) Use Holiday Binder and follow HGP faithfully!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
i want to start wrapping my gifts earlier than wait.

Oh, me too!! Today I went to Wal-mart and got wrapping paper 50% off! So, I plan on wrapping as I get (or make) a gift!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Somehow this year I managed not to have enough batteries, so I'm deffinitely adding those to my shopping list for supplies. The other thing I didn't have made early enough this year was gift tags. I thought maybe my 4 yo would help make them out of old Christmas cards, but he wasn't interested, and I guess I just procrastinated on them.

At least recording them now and building these items in my plan for next year will help me be even more organized in 2010. Thanks for the inspiration ladies! :)

YES! We received gifts for DS6 ... that needed batteries ... but they weren't given and we didn't have any! Ack!

Also, I do record what I get people in my notebook, but if I am also gonna try to wrap as I go, I better put a good name tag on it and really really record stuff in my notebook!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
5) Begin holiday baking in mid-October. If nothing else, freeze cookie dough balls for later
baking.

Oooooooooooo, I like this! Thanks!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings! I love the ideas posted here and have a few thoughts of my own. Christmas went quite well here, but the caveat is that we are retired and don't have small children around to distract us! Also, DH is a marvelous help to me. That said . . . here are some ideas . . .

Host some kind of dinner or party early in December. It can be as simple as inviting friends for dinner. Voilà! The house is clean and decorated!

Lists, as mentioned before, are invaluable. I keep master lists on the computer and can make adjustments and print them out easily.

As I said above, DH is a great help. What I realized this year is that one thing that stresses me out is that he doesn't share the urgency around Christmas prep. If something doesn't get done, he probably wouldn't notice or miss it anyway. So I made a mental adjustment that he didn't need to "stress" but I could still use his energy. I just gave him lists (he's wonderful with lists) and those chores would magically get accomplished. I know that won't work in many households, but even if your elves aren't as helpful as mine, you should still do your best to enlist their help. For instance . . . we have a friend (male) whose BD is in December. I make him a batch of his favorite cookie for his BD. This year, I told DH he was in charge of buying or making a card. He spent quite a bit of time on the computer making a really cute computer card.

DH enjoys watching TV in the evenings (no matter what's on). I like to be with him but am not necessarily interested in what he is watching, so I have crafts to work on while we're watching TV (knitting, quilting, cross-stitch). I can get a lot done at that time. If I know what I'm making for Christmas gifts, I try to work on them all year long. I try to get my inspiration for next year's hand-made cards and get an early start on those, too. I won't be "inspired" in July, but could work on something I've already decided on. I also work on crafts in the car and used to do some on my bus commute before retiring.

Okay . . . I'll keep brainstorming . . .

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Hmmmm...so many good ideas and great posts! My head is swimming! :)

To address one of SparkleNana's original questions - how to get yourself motivated to do certain Christmassy things early...I had a few thoughts on what works for me...

I have always been a list maker, love them, make them for everything, and getting my various lists in order - the ones I've learned I need - gets the excitement started for me.

Certain tasks, like shopping for gifts year round, are easy for me to get motivated on since I love to buy people presents. I peruse the clearence aisles and I'm starting to learn more about keeping aware of online bargains using sites like GottaDeal, etc.

Crafting is something I did almost nothing with this past year, and I don't expect to do much this year in light of the new baby. I'll be doing good just to get in some scrapbooking here and there! lol

But when I DID craft gifts, I tried to pick projects that I could work on while sitting in front of the TV with DH, or even sometimes work on during the latter part of my lunch hour at work. Knitted dishcloths are great, go quickly, etc.

Whenever I do my Christmas Cards (usually start in October) I am sitting down with a Christmas DVD in or a Christmas CD on...it really helps me get in the mood.

And ultimately - the idea of NOT having to stress out about a task at the last minute is enough motivation for me to tackle it as SOON as I can.

I have alot of things that do have to wait until the last minute, plus the normal housework, plus the curveballs life throws at me. If I can do it early - I want to do it early!

This year I have been really distracted from my normal planning and prep patterns, but I hope to get things back in line next year.

The HGP is a great tool for me and I plan to use it again next year. Being on this site, making my lists up early, creating a mood with DVDs and CDs, following the HGP - all are ways I motivate myself to DO, DO, DO stuff early.

If I think of more "tricks" or "habits" I've cultivated I will post again...I know I am forgetting things!

sew-n-sew

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2008
I like the idea of having a Christmas project tote. I have a huge one that came from a campaign last year that I didn't know what to with, but it's very good quality. I think I'll cover up the candidate's name with Christmas fabric.

I don't have a real Christmas notebook, but need to start one, especially this year when I want to make more personalized crafty gifts. Have to give more thought to what to do each 25th.

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
I like the ideal of the rudy day tote; I went out to my storage shead and found the old steamer trunk I used to use for a coffee table. I plan to redo and repurpose it into a rudy,GPD, Hippity hop day tote in frount of my spot in the living room. Wondering how to redo it; LOL it's a beat up horrible pink right now.

I think that this year I will try to do some diffrent holiday color afghans and throw pillows for my living room. I will probably start with one for Valentines day or easter.

To get in a Holiday mood on Rudy Day I like to put on some Christmas music or pop in a Christmas movie, maybe make some hot apple cider or hot chocolate. The hadest part SparkleNana is turning on the music LOL the rest is all down hill.

Last edited: