I'm going to try a different approach

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
For some reason, I'm not doing very well with the room a week cleaning. I have several different areas throughout the house that are driving me crazy, either because they need to be decluttered, haven't been vacuumed for awhile (behind the tv armoire, refrigerator etc.) or places that I know there are things I want to get rid of and am anxious to get to them. I know if I am just patient, and just pick a room that is bugging me the most, I will get to them eventually, but I keep getting sidetracked with some of these other areas and then feel that I am behind. It seems like each day a new area keeps coming up. My mental to do list is long and making me feel stressed. With all the things to do, cooking, Laundry, kids sports etc. I just never seem to have enough time. Even though I know I have done alot already, I keep focusing on everything else that I feel needs or should get done and I keep feeling overwhelmed.

I decided to make a list of all the things that were really important to me to get done before Christmas and prioritized them. Some things are really important. For ex.The garage is a mess and is always a problem when I need to bring the decorations out but wiping down under the laundry room sink does not affect Christmas at all.

I figured with 226 days until Christmas, I realized I have at least 175 days (to be done by beginning of November) to try and get the things that would affect my joy and stress at Christmas done. I realized my list only has 114 things on it. This includes even those jobs that don't affect Christmas at all. My list does not include my daily/weekly routines (mopping, laundry etc.) just other cleaning that doesn't get done weekly (vacuuming under couches) and any decluttering or other projects. If any cleaning should be done more than once or I need more that one day (garage) I added those days in.

So now I feel much less overwhelmed. I know I can easily do more than just one a day, leaving room to either choose another job to get ahead, or pick something to work on that maybe isn't necessary for my peace at Christmas, but one that I've been wanting to do . If real life gets in the way, I can choose a fast job for that day and still know I accomplished something and not feel behind.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else is having the same problem I am.

Santa_Elf

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Wylie, TX (NE of Dallas)
What a great plan! Please keep us posted and let us know how this is working. With my recent move, I don't have a lot to do except the store room and garage.

Eddie

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I like the way you think!! things that affect us for Christmas... hmmm...

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
What a fantastic idea! And I agree with Lucie...things that impact our Christmas happiness...hmmmm. I have a "Baby Step Jar" that I created after the wedding with odds and ends that bug me but need to be done. Maybe I need to create a "Christmas Peace and Joy" jar and work from that. Thanks for sharing and good luck!!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
jinglemom-
I feel the biggest step you could take for your peace of mind and begin this project the list you made.

Have you thought about joining our group doing the Holiday Grand Plan- Summer Edition?

We are only in the 1st week of it. And we have all taylored the plan to fit our houses and schedules.
We will hit all areas of the house during the summer.

Annie

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
jinglemom-

Have you thought about joining our group doing the Holiday Grand Plan- Summer Edition?

We are only in the 1st week of it. And we have all taylored the plan to fit our houses and schedules.
We will hit all areas of the house during the summer.

Annie

Annie, I did plan on doing the summer edition Holiday Grand Plan. I even made a list modifying the weeks a little to work better for me. I think it is nice when others are working on the same area at the same time, so I have gone back and forth about what I want to do.

Right now I have a handful of spots that are embarrassing when my kids have friends over, like the Laundry room. It is where we enter the house and tends to be a dumping ground. Then for allergy purposes, there are several areas, especially the bedrooms that I want to deep clean. Then there are areas that have timing issues, like the outside storage area. I have some Christmas presents hidden in there, as well as the elf stuff so I need to do this before school is out and before it gets too hot. I also need to do the garage before it gets to hot, but since it is my worst spot, it will take the longest. Then there are some things I need dh's help, before I can proceed, like putting up a shelf in the storage room, helping me move the bed and heavy furniture so I can vacuum under it. We've had too much going on lately, so he hasn't been able to help me with anything. I keep feeling stuck in either starting, or completing anything and know I will begin to feel behind since everything isn't completed when it is supposed to be completed. It seems I have many important areas throughout the house, but many areas that are fine and low priority. I'm hoping all the same things will get done in the end, just out of order according to priority, so I don't keep having that getting behind feeling.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I think that it is great that you have identified problems and have a solution for solving them. Too often we chase our tails and do not really achieve anything because we don't have a plan. I find it so much easier to get jobs done if I have thought about when to do them, at the time that suits me best. I also have to make sure I do things before it gets too hot/cold as the weather affects me quiet alot.
I love that you have thought about what will affect your Christmas and will work on those areas. I hate the clutter that goes with Christmas. Although I love decorating I hate the fact that my Christmas tree takes up so much room and I feel cramped. I will think about how to solve this problem so that it won't affect me this year.