Inexpensive Gifts You WANT to Receive

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

rockin_granola

Retire Member
Dec 27, 2007
Go Colts!
www.rockingranola.com
Oh, what a fantastic thread! I'm getting lots of ideas of gifts to give that won't break my budget!

What would I like to get? Off the top of my head ...
.... stitch markers. I'm a knitter and I never have enough of those.
.... a white sharpie marker
... love those older 80s/90s movie titles Target usually has on sale for less than $10 (like Mystic Pizza, Sleepless in Seattle)
... I collect Everyday Food magazine and would love back issues (or any back issues of knitting magazines. I'm always browsing the stack of those at our used book store)
... ink pads for my stamps
... can never have too many pairs of good thick socks for winter
... foods at the grocery I don't treat myself to: chocolate covered macadamia nuts, lemon or lime curd, flavored coffees, flavored teas, just about anything Dove chocolate :)
... embroidery in fun seasonal colors for my crafting projects
... blank books
... colored pencils

Fun!

teachturnedmom

Retire Member
Oct 21, 2007
SE PA
I would love to get small scrapbooking supplies, such as die cuts or adhesives. I love cake decorating, so I would love fondant cutters, an idea book, some coloring gel, etc...anything to support my hobbies.

Seasonal towels would be awesome! Also, any little thing that I may need but is "no fun" to spend my money on...LOL

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I'm going to see if I can come up with some idea to pull this into something that we could do for each other as a family for a gift. Hmmm.... any ideas???

Are you thinking an easy family gift like a collection for an ice cream bar for movie night (chocolate sauce, sprinkles, chopped nuts, sundae spoons, etc) or an activity that everyone can contribute to?

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I've done ice cream baskets before for a few couples.

printersdevil

Retire Member
Sep 19, 2008
playingdishes.blogspot.com
Actually, what I would like to do is come up with an idea that i could pitch to the rest of the family to use for our gift exchange. We always bring a gift within a set price range and do a Chinese auction. These are NOT white elephant gifts. The idea is to bring something that you like and would take home. That way you can try to get your own gift if you want. Several years ago we had a limit of $30-$50. Last year we went with at least $25. However, that is too steep in my opinion this year. I know that one of my nieces is really struggling and there are a couple of other young couples. That is still $50 and not easy to come by this year. I know that most don't want to give up the auction. So, I was hoping to come up with something fun, creative and not as expensive.

I know that some on here did $10 at the dollar store in the past, but this wouldn't work with our crew. But, I think something creative might be pulled off. Maybe something along the lines of everyday items that you need, use and would appreciate receiving packaged in a fun way????? Again, I don't know if they would agree. In addition to this we have also always done what they call the $5 fun gift. It just can't go over $5. I used to hate this because some brought stupid stuff that I just threw away. Others brought something worthwhile and usable. For it we always read the right, left story and you end up with something random.

I just want to find something to get through this economic crunch without upsetting anyone by suggesting we just do gifts for the kids.

I thought about suggesting some kind of game for the big gift and maybe a fast food coupon for the other. Or maybe ask everyone to make a list of useful inexpensive items that they would like to receive and see if I could come up with a theme. Any ideas????

Eaglesax

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Middle Georgia
I have a friend whose family bring a specified amount gift cards to exchange. She says that has worked out well. We've done the right, left, across story before and I like that better than "fighting" over the gift.....

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
Actually, what I would like to do is come up with an idea that i could pitch to the rest of the family to use for our gift exchange. We always bring a gift within a set price range and do a Chinese auction. These are NOT white elephant gifts. The idea is to bring something that you like and would take home. That way you can try to get your own gift if you want. Several years ago we had a limit of $30-$50. Last year we went with at least $25. However, that is too steep in my opinion this year. I know that one of my nieces is really struggling and there are a couple of other young couples. That is still $50 and not easy to come by this year. I know that most don't want to give up the auction. So, I was hoping to come up with something fun, creative and not as expensive.

Printersdevil, The chinese auction sounds fun. If no one wants to give this up, then maybe the price can just be lowered again. The only idea I can come up with is maybe to set up some kind of gift basket or themed stocking challenge. Everyone can either vote on the theme, each person take turns each year in who picks the theme or each person put a theme idea into a jar and the theme picked at random. You can make it into a competition if you want by voting on who put together the best basket for the price limit and the winner gets an additional prize (maybe collect another dollar or two from each person in advance for the bonus prize). I also really liked an idea Cathymac posted awhile ago where all the men bring the same gift for each of the men to put in a stocking and the women do the same for each of the women, then everyone takes home a stocking.

masslass

Retire Member
Nov 10, 2008
Massachusetts, USA
As inexpensive gifts, I'd love to get all those things you need but are always lost (or have "walked away" with another family member :), e.g.:

tape dispenser (a nice colorful one for my desk would be great!)
pair of good, sharp office scissors
small hairbrush for my handbag
package of good pens
small bottle of hand lotion for my handbag
Lipgloss/chapstick
barrettes/hair scrunchies
extra pair of sunglasses or gloves for the car

Fun inexpensive gifts that I personally would love include:
an issue or two of a new magazine
a couple of balls of colorful yarn to knit a new scarf
scrapbooking supplies

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Something I thought of last night is more reusable piping bags for cake decorating.

I'm enjoying this thread as well for ideas. Keep it coming!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am loving this thread. I feel I am easy to buy for and I love things like, books, magazines, socks, little knee hi panty hose, bath bubbles, candles, packets of seeds for the spring garden, body sprays, nice shampoo, body wash, new tea towels, puzzle book and pens, writing paper, note books, nice flavored tea bags, snacks especially nuts/chips, a christmas cd/dvd. I enjoy all these things and would be thrilled to receive any number of them.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
There are a lot of good ideas here. I am not going to repeat a lot of the other lists here but wanted to add for me Flags. I have a flag pole on the house and then a little "garden" flag under the mail box. I have a few but would always like more to change them up. I am not a "purse snob" so actually a cute but practical inexpensive purse is nice or wallet. I like to change those up a lot. PJ pants you can get cute ones under $10 (bought a set w/ fuzzy pants and Merry Madagascar christmas top for $9)

mommytotwo

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Sharpie markers-they always come in handy.
Bath & Body Works antibacterial hand soaps
Chocolates
Disney & Hallmark Ornaments
Scrapbooking items-things that I would actually use.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I would love a hands free soap dispenser (or 5!). I've seen them as low as $10 - why oh why have I not bought one myself? I'm such a germ freak that it makes perfect sense that I would not want to actually touch the soap dispenser with chicken covered hands!

NLxmasmom

Retire Member
Nov 22, 2007
Socks, those little stretch gloves because we go through a million pairs, undies, magazines, nail polish, earrings, plastic containers, makeup, small bottles of shampoo, etc., kitchen gadgets, snack foods.

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Sharpie markers-they always come in handy.

Thanks for the idea. I put this on the list of ideas I gave my MIL for me. Sharpies are great!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
hmm - this is an area I am not good at, but will try.

I love pens - any pen really :)
Sticky memo notes and tealights.
Hand knitted slippers or scarfs.
Mugs and home made candy or fudge.
Toffe popcorn and bath salts:)

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Soft fuzzy socks, new box of crayons and a Christmas coloring book, Christmas themed puzzle, chap stick ( I use chap stick year round and the smell of cherry chapstick reminds me of Christmas)