Is A "Snow Day" A Holiday For You?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
The east coast USA is having a "snow weekend" predicated. How will that affect your life? (Or - does snow ever affect your life, where you live?)

We have had tons of warning -- sometimes it is supposed to rain and it snows instead. That can cause big problems. But this time, they have thought all along that it will be snow!!

First a disclaimer: I no longer have small children at home! Small children are a "game changer" for sure! (I spend enough time with my grandchildren to keep my memory fresh.) Snow clothes drying all over the house. Children suddenly getting wet and freezing cold and overtired - when playing outside! AND MESS -MESS - MESS - everywhere! It is very very tough for moms!

For me --- things have gotten so much easier. When I clean things up - I am usually the only one who messes them up. (Sometimes dh does.) I can drink a cup of coffee as slowly as I like. (A mom of young children is lucky to get a few sips while it is hot.)

I hope this serves as a reminder that it is NOT BAD to get old! It is good!

So -- I anticipate a "snow day holiday". Watching TV. Playing on the net. Chatting with friends on the phone. Reading. Listening to music. Watching movies.

AND -- if the power goes out -- I am RUSHING to a hotel! I have spent 3 winter days waiting for the power to be restored! I will give up any future vacation -- to NOT have to go through THAT again. My emergency money is for the hotel room!

What about you guys? Whats up?

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
SparkleNana, I, too, am an empty nester. I remember when the children were small and how much they loved to play in the snow. My first two kids were twins, so it was double everything! But, I always loved snow days when school was cancelled and we were all home together, hunkering down, maybe watching t.v., reading, baking cookies.

These days, today being one, I look forward to the office closing early, and just praying that I can get home safely. I will watch movies/t.v. to my heart's content....maybe even in bed with my electric blanket on high if I so desire.

And Boss just called to say that we should close as soon as Coworker finishes this conference. Yay! I'm ready to get started on my snow day!

Stay safe, my friends, and I will talk to everyone on Monday. Go Colts!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
My snow day started at Noon today when they closed work early! When I arrived home the boys (who only made it to school one day this week - and that was two hours late!) were outside making a snow fort. That did not last long though and now we have clothes, boots, socks, gloves, hats, coats, etc. hanging to dry! We have finished our hot chocolate and decided we'll all go out later and make a snow man.

Pam - sure hope you are already on your way home! We'll miss you this weekend!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Living in PA, we deal with snow for months on end (will it ever end?!) so we're pretty used to the white stuff. The kids and I usually stay inside and watch tv, play wii, color, craft, bake, etc. They'll play outside once the snowfall stops. Maybe they'll head to the farm on Sunday to sled (our yard is level, so no sledding here!).

I will head out shopping tomorrow...maybe dh will take me in the truck if it is too bad, if not we'll head out Sunday after church.

Lisa

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
A snow day in Arkansas is a big deal...at least in central Arkansas where we live. In the northern half, they get a lot more snow than we do. Last Friday morning, we got up to the sound of sleet hitting the window. It was covering the ground, my front storm door was iced over and my front porch was a sheet of ice. DH declared a snowday for us right at that moment, whether school was cancelled or not. Of course, school was cancelled, so the boys got to sleep in. DH still had to go to work (it was payday and we needed that check! Thankfully he only works a 1/2 day on Friday) but my work is closed when school is closed due to inclement weather. I sent him off with a grocery list and a prayer, then hit the internet!

By the time DH got home from work/the bank/the store, it was really getting slick=the roads were sleet covered and icy. It sleeted all day, then toward dark it started snowing, but tiny little ice filled flakes were all we saw. When we got up Saturday, it was white everywhere! My brother who lives a couple of houses down from us, walked down to the house and we cooked breakfast-bacon, sausage, eggs, biscuits and waffles, juice, hot chocolate and of course, coffee.

It was two blissful days of lying around, reading (I was also forewarned and had checked out a book from the church library on Wednesday night), web surfing, game playing-the little one is the "Uno" champ in our house=and just good family time.

I'm sure if we had to deal with the amounts of snow some of you do, it wouldn't be much of a party, but we had a blast...and I'd love to have one more good one before it warms up! The weekend reminded me of a holiday weekend. This past year we were able to spread our Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's celebrations out for an entire weekend each. This was kind of like that!! So, yes, it's a holiday when it snows here!!!

Last edited:

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
SparkleNana, you sure do have an accurate memory of snow days with young kids! What you described sounds a lot like my house this past weekend. :) We did, however, have a good time sledding with the girls and DH and I had a nice meal for ourselves once the kids were in bed.

Belles

Retire Member
Snow day = Family day. That's probably why I love them so, first off everything shuts down, because since we never get snow, we are never prepared for it and everyone just closes up and stays home. Family time, baking, laughing, playing, eating, snow days are the greatest.

Sapsorrow

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2010
Both snow days and rainy days are holidays for us. We pop a bunch of popcorn, brew up the coffee/cocoa/tea, and play card and board games. It's such a nice cozy time. Sometimes we go to my parents' if the weather is going to be very bad, and hole up with the extended family.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
We got 50+ inches of snow in 5 days...that's much more than we're used to at one time. Schools are closed until Tuesday and my DS4 is actually SAD (because they had to cancel his classroom Valentine's Day party!) We made valentine cards and cupcakes at home instead.

I don't usually work from home, but I have a full set up at home that mimics my office, so technically, I never have a snow day, but we managed to squeeze in a few fun activities anyway!

Eaglesax

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Middle Georgia
sitting in my warm living room watching snow fall in Middle Georgia......yes, a snow day becomes a holiday here. Not worth investing in snow equipment to use a day or two every few years so everything just shuts down for a few hours. It's supposed to be in the 50's tomorrow!

Belles

Retire Member
It's snowing in dunn north carolina!!!! I am elated, overwhelmed, thrilled...so enthusiastically joyfull i can't contain myself. We never get snow, so this is a treat...it started at 8:10 pm and by 9:15 my dead grass was brown no more. I'll let you know later if tomorrow is a work day or holiday..oh even if i have to go in, we want do anything but play for four hours.

Aren't the simple pleasures in life the greatest.