Is the iPad this year’s Tickle Me Elmo?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Jeff Westover

MHH Maintenance Dept.
Staff member
MHH Admin
Sep 7, 2009
Cache Valley, Utah
mymerrychristmas.com
It’s already been said that the iPad will be this year’s “Tickle Me, Elmo.” With that idea firmly embedded (kicking and screaming) in your brain, if you’re planning on putting Apple tablets under the tree this Christmas, you should probably order now. Currently, all models of the iPad are listed on the Apple Store for [...]ShareThis

More...

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Yikes, items are getting crazy on wish lists.

I fondly remember when it was Lincoln Logs and Mr. Potato Head :) , or when the boys still preferred the boxes to the toys in them! {sigh}

Big ticket or electronic items, which are often outdated or obsolete by next season, are not an option. I am a mean mom ;)

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Yes......... but......... I have SEEN the iPad and seen the incredible things it can do........... I am absolutely in love with them!

I do not have one.

I would LOVE to have one!

Just one person's opinion...... everybody looks at things differently.......

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
SparkleNana - I think the ipad is great, too. DH and I were just talking about it last night when we were looking at a kindle. He said that the ipad is better for book reading and many other things. I told him that while I love the concept I'd rather not have that much money spent on it. They'll eventually come down in price and improve even more in quality. I'll wait patiently.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
SparkleNana - I think the ipad is great, too. DH and I were just talking about it last night when we were looking at a kindle. He said that the ipad is better for book reading and many other things. I told him that while I love the concept I'd rather not have that much money spent on it. They'll eventually come down in price and improve even more in quality. I'll wait patiently.

Kim - I absolutely LOVE my Kindle and they're cheaper now ($189 for the 6" screen). It's not as flashy as an iPad, and it is black & white, but you can check your email on it and read magazines and newspapers as well. The resolution has just been improved by 50% and they have new software that now allows you to group your reading material into categories instead of just appearing in a long list (which was my only complaint). I have tried the Sony reader and Barnes & Noble's Nook and didn't like them as much. JMHO.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
My boss is quite the techie gadget guy. He has to get the latest thing as soon as it comes out. He said of all the 'toys' he has ever gotten, the iPad is his most favorite. He carries it with him wherever he goes! In fact, he got one for CW. Supposedly a work thing. Anyway, they both love it. He is a big thumbs up on the iPad!

jollymom

Retire Member
Jun 27, 2010
I looked into them b/c they looked so cool. But I have an iPhone and there isn't any advantage for me to get an iPad except the screen size. My husband got a Kindle last year. My iPhone has a free Kindle app so I can read all the Kindle books on the iPhone. It's not too small for me at all.

Also, my husband got me a netbook for my bday last year and it's so convenient to take on vacations to look up stuff but with my new phone, that maybe all I take on vacation this year.

My sister just bought an iPad but her iPhone is one of the first ones and the internet is super slow on it plus she wanted it for personal stuff at work. Haven't asked her for feedback about it yet.

If it had something like MS Word I would have loved it for journaling but oh well. My friend with an iPhone just got an iPad too & says it's not a huge upgrade except for screen size.

I am a SAHM and thought it was crazy to spend the extra on an iPhone and the monthly extra -- but now -- LOVE IT! Unbelievably convenient!

If I didn't have the phone or Kindle, I would definitely want this. Though I am weary about buying new gadgets on their first go-around. Definitely will sell out for Christmas though -- I'm guessing!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I like my iPhone, and would most likely enjoy using the ipad personally. But my point was more as a child's gift. This is not an inexpensive 'toy' :)

Also, I would not stand in line for anything lol I have major attention issues and that would kill me! ;)

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I think an IPad would be cool but I have heard from many people that live here- the network that is needed to support the IPad doesn't work for beans here.

Annie

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I love gadgets and would love one BUT can't spend that money on it right now. I discovered a Kindle app for my droid phone so I have the internet and a options for books (althought I tend to not buy and just use the library any way) Once the kids are in school I intend to go to a Apple store to play w/ it to see what it can do.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Kim - I absolutely LOVE my Kindle and they're cheaper now ($189 for the 6" screen). It's not as flashy as an iPad, and it is black & white, but you can check your email on it and read magazines and newspapers as well. The resolution has just been improved by 50% and they have new software that now allows you to group your reading material into categories instead of just appearing in a long list (which was my only complaint). I have tried the Sony reader and Barnes & Noble's Nook and didn't like them as much. JMHO.

Thanks for the feedback, Colleen. I did not know the Kindle had come down so much. I also want a Cricut, too. Not sure if I should push my luck and ask for both although I do have a November birthday, a December Christmas and a January wedding anniversary...:0)

HouseElf - I completely agree with you about not spending the ipad kind of money as a younger child...maybe one going into college, but not a child in middle school or elementary school - just my opinion.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Thanks for the feedback, Colleen. I did not know the Kindle had come down so much. I also want a Cricut, too. Not sure if I should push my luck and ask for both although I do have a November birthday, a December Christmas and a January wedding anniversary...:0)

HouseElf - I completely agree with you about not spending the ipad kind of money as a younger child...maybe one going into college, but not a child in middle school or elementary school - just my opinion.
\

Yikes I can imagine buying one for my boys in Elem or middle school. Heck they got cheep MP3 players b/c I didn't know if they would keep them w/o loosing/breaking them.

Kim-keep an eye on black friday sales for the Cricut. I got mine at Walmart last yr. to get me a upgraded one at a great price. Sometimes Michaels has them or the carts on sale Thanksgiving day.