It's Official! I have started shopping!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

conniemac

MHH Member
Oct 20, 2007
Yesterday, I purchased my first Christmas presents! My DH is out of town so I ran to Sears and got the tools he said he wanted! He only needs stocking stuffers and he is done! I also purchased tools for my DS (19). My DH and I decided to get him started with his own tools since he will be heading off to Boot Camp and a career in the Marines. Dad's tools will not be at his disposal anymore. LOL! My DD (18) wants clarinet upgrades and music books. She is taking me to Music and Arts today to show me what she wants/needs. I miss the days when there were surprises under the Christmas tree but everyone will be happy with getting the things they need. My Christmas savings fund is paying for everything so no charging on credit cards! Woo Hoo!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Great job with the gifts that they will love! (and your credit card company will hate!)

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Awesome!

Great job! I bought ... socks for DD23. Exciting, I know. But she did mention that she could use some! ;)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Great job ConnieMac.
I too miss the days when there were surprises under the tree. My kids still get one or two gifts that they have not specifically asked for but mostly it is stuff that they have picked out for themselves.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
great start! I found a sweatshirt and magnet for DS11 last week. Woo hoo. We did get the big family gift so that's paid for at least

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Awesome! I have been identifying and price comparing but not pulling the trigger yet. Need to clear my calendar so that when i go out shopping I have time to get home and get it all stashed away safely before the kids get home from school! I have lost more than one present over the years due to "quick stashing" to avoid getting caught! :0

You mention the tools. Those are a great gift. DD is not even a teenager yet but his grandfather bought him a Sears Craftsman Toolbox a couple years back and started him on a tool set. We'll be adding to it each Christmas so that he has it when he is older. Its a good stocking stuffer! How manly to pull a wrench out of your stocking! :) (Next to the lollypop and GameStop gift card , of course!)

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
Great job and congrats on the Cash Christmas!!!

Kelly

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
DD and I think we have found the ideal gift for DH...it is an outdoor pizza oven!
DH loves making pizza, and I think he will enjoy the oven. I will do just a bit more research before I decide.

JayOkie

Retire Member
Oct 19, 2007
NE Oklahoma
I'm about done. Think the baby quilt is going to be my last minute thing. Stitched one area about 3 times yesterday & didn't like the results so ...... time to lay it aside for a bit.

I don't buy for every family member - just can't do it. Grands have forgotten how to say thanks so if a gift isn't appreciated, I'm not scrambling to find the funds. Some will think I'm mean, but with 10 grands & 10 great-grands it adds up fast!! I just can't do it. My sis and I are going together to get Mama a pr of shoes. She has funds to do it herself but said a few weeks ago she was going to wear her beige ones all winter. The shoes went on sale & we decided to get her a pr of black ones. Will get those ordered in the next few days.

I think I can finish for about $30 or less. Hoping to get that done in the next month.
Happy/Successful shopping to all of you.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL

I was online this morning ... Amazon ... looking around. Got a few things. Easy. I like easy.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Congrats on the start of shopping and with CASH!

We did pretty well last year, sticking to the cash requirement. Anything ordered online was paid off as soon as the statement posted. Hoping to do the same this year.

I have purchased a few gifts, too. We have nieces and nephews who do not say thank you and I would like to forego their gifts, but dh doesn't agree. So, they will probably get gc's this year. I have purchased a book for one dn, ordered a subscription for dh, got a tee for my dad and a few other little things.

My list making is in progress.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Had a look at the reviews for the pizza oven I was looking at for DH and they were not good. :( so have not ordered it. I have ordered him a new backpack that he uses for work and that was FREE using some grocery store loyalty points.
Just ordered a Kate Spade wallet for DD from the Nordstrom on line so I think that that will be here next week.
DS wants some shorts for the summer so will take him to the sports store next week to look.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Im pretty much done- well mostly.

I need to get wine and chocolates - the generic things that we give to teachers/ coaches etc... and a nice bottle of French Champagne for his actual class teacher.

And DS is chopping and changing his mind- he has asked Santa for an X Box 1- Im happy to let him have it but he keeps changing which one he actually wants- I thought they were all the same but some are limited edition, some come in bundles, some have bigger memory. I have told him that ALL requests to Santa MUST be in by Nov 16th at latest- Santa can't deal with any more requests after that and no change of mind is allowed!

Santa is a busy man! and cant unpack the sleigh once items are in it!

JayOkie

Retire Member
Oct 19, 2007
NE Oklahoma
Tanya, I think you have a great idea -- deadline for Santa. Period. No more mind changing! Santa may be an employer with many elves, but even they have just so much time in a day :-0

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
DH has put wet/dry vac on his Santa list. (Glad I did not get the pizza oven)!
Will need to go to one of the big hardware stores and have a look for one.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
WTG!!
I've been talking about it for a month. I need to do more than talk.....

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Got the wet/dry vac for DH yesterday, it is in the boot of the car and I will need to sneak it in at some stage and hide it. There were many to choose from but I am sure that he will be happy with the one I got him.

Nancysue

Retire Member
Oct 27, 2015
I'll be browsing amazon the next few days to all of my holiday shopping done. I'm still working on something for my husband!