January 08 Great Pumpkin Day!!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
It'll be here before you know it!! I am going to spend that day planning my Boo!Bash!2 for the Saturday before Halloween. The first Boo!Bash went so well, and I know it's because I started planning it so early. I was able to announce it to the family at the July 4th celebration, with a date and starting time!! They were impressed!! I have to admit, it does seem a little obsessive to start in January planning a Halloween party, but it sure makes it a lot easier in October! Even the last minute stuff is easy when the other things are done. So, here's my GPD#1 of '08 plans:

1. Make menu and grocery list, broken down into non-perishables and last minute items. Set a date for starting to pick up non-perishables and write it in my planner. Decide if it's going to be potluck or not. (It most likely will).
2. Decide on decorations and overall theme. I'm toying with a "White Pumpkin " theme...there's a fabulous book that I need to pick up at Wal-Mart called "For the Love of Pumpkins", which shows a wonderful white pumpkin party (well, ok, it's a wedding, but I can make it work!!) Details on this later...
3. Make out guest list (mostly the same as last year, with a few additions)

That should be enough for this month.

What spooky things are up with you?
:hat:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
It's never too early!! I was dreaming of making the Halloween costumes this week!!! I've got the idea and almost all I need.... hmmm. .... might be doing it soon after all!! The kids would love a halloween party! They're gonna be 15 and 17 and don't want to go trick or treating anymore...and wow it's a friday this year!!! :hat:

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Your Boo!Bash!2 sounds great, Cathymac! A white pumpkin theme -- wow.

We don't do too much that's 'halloweeny', but my kids do dress up, so we'll be planning costume stuff. This year DS12 wants to be King Kong, and DD8 wants to be something pretty, maybe Fay Rae? Last year she loved the comments she got as a laundry basket but decided that she missed being able to dress up all fancy and feminine.

I'll also be looking for some ideas for home made treats to pass out to neighbor kids (we have a TON of 'em) and some new ways to decorate for fall.

Later in the year, I'll use GP Day to plan my pumpkin patch!

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
I am going to use this one to work on my Fall Notebook (Back to School - Halloween) I have a 1/2 inch I carry around with upcoming info but want to create a notebook for each season that I keep tips, crafts, recipes etc in. Be a great Day to start putting it together- hmmm where are all those papers??

This will be a special Fall becuase DD starts Kindergarten!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm helping my best friend plan for this year's Halloween party she and her husband host each year. I made her a Halloween planner for Christmas and she really loves it. She and I were talking the other night and she has been picking up things here and there since last year. As I find things like food and decoration ideas I will pass them on to her to put in her planner. I have a few craft ideas I want to share with her as well. The earlier we get started, the better prepared they will be.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I'm going to be working on a Halloween Notebook!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I am so excited about Great Pumpkin Day because I love Halloween!

But I don't know what to do on Great Pumpkin Day.

I put out tons of nonscary Halloween decorations. Even lights (clear and orange.) Starting maybe three weeks before Halloween. But what else to do? I'll have to think. And also keep reading.

momof2boys

MHH Member
Nov 18, 2007
I will be setting up a halloween/fall notebook since I don't have one. Gather pics from halloween from last year and make of list of things I would like to do with the whole family...like going to a corn maze and pumpkin patch and then plan a night where dh and i can pick a haunted house to go to......

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
I am going to work on my Halloween notebook. I also want to add new decorations this year. I want to figure out something to put on my garage door. I have always put my Halloween decorations up on October 6th (my birthday) and added more after October 21st (my sons birthday) but everyone around here decorates in the middle of September for Halloween so I did that last year because my house looked funny undecorated. I think this year I am going to wait until my regular date todo so. It felt funny not keeping my schedule.

I also want an idea for what the kids want to be this year. I hate waiting until June to have an answer from them its just too hard to get costumes made in such short time.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
coffeenut, I like your idea of a Harvest open house! I'd love to hear more as your plans progress!

3LittleElves

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Wisconsin
I think I may attempt to finish some halloween crafts that I haven't had time to work on.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
First Great Pumpkin Day of the year, I can't wait. My family loves to watch movies,so I am going to put together a list of Halloween movies that I would like to have. Then I can spend the rest of the year buying them.

"heartstrings: Melanie

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
We use to go all out decorating for Halloween. Our DS was born on the 31st. We did the yard with lights, tombstones, etc. but as he got older it kinda quit. Told my DH we need to get back into it in case grandkids ever come along! In grade school we'd scope out cool treats to make and take.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Ummmm...I never did get around to painting those wooden letters that spell BOO....might be a good time to give that a go!!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Last year, I got some adorable fuzzy bats at the dollar store that said "BOO" in white letters on their fuzzy black chests,

Everyone seemed to enjoy the bats - hung on bushes near the sidewalks in our front yards.

Little little children really seemed to enjoy the nonthreateening "Boos".

Also, there are many child-caregivers in our neighb hood - who come from countries where Halloween is not celebrated. They also really enjoyed the fuzzy bats with "Boo" on their chests. They also enjoyed the many n on=scary Halloween decorations. As did everyone - of all ages and all nationalities.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
ok, 1st GPD here.... hmmm...
- I got a file all mixed up of halloween notes.... try to put it in order would be great and try to list ideas for costumes (and what is needed to make each one)...
- MAYBE see if I can plan a Halloween supper. After all, I've got great ideas in those notes.

costumes for me this year: hmmmm... maybe half-awake / half-asleep...
Half Asleep/Half Awake Cut some "footy pajamas" in half, and sew one side to half a pair of pants and half a shirt. On the asleep side, put your hair in curlers, wear no make-up, keep and wear a slipper. On the awake side, curl your hair, wear make-up, and wear a shoe. Carry a pillow on your asleep side, and a briefcase on your awake side.

I like this one too (but the expression doesn't work in French.. I'll have to keep explaining it all day... but might work for the teens... they go to english school).
Raining Cats and Dogs Attach an assortment of small stuffed cats and dogs to an umbrella. Wear a rain coat and rain boots.
:hat:

Jingle Belle

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
Don't forget the January GPD book and movie...

Book- Trick or Treat Murder by Leslie Meier
Movie- Monster Squad

By the way, I'm still looking for suggestions for other months and for childrens' books as well!