January 31st-February 13th is Foyer OR Alternative is Kitchen Cabinets/Cupboard

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Good steps are being taken on part of this challenge this week - as we are having a "using up the freezer" week of dinners (and perhaps storecupboard items too if necessary).

And I DID get rid of my bag of hockey gear - as far as MIL's house as there were very high profile visitors to my old school so it was all locked down and I couldn't visit. Oh well, she will drop it in for me during the week instead.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I've got some cathcing up to do. I've been sick.

My foyer is small so not much to do there. I just cleared out the floor area of the coat closet and straightened the shelf. Then mopped the floor and vacuumed the little rug by the front door.

I wasn't sure what to do today because my job is closed but this is a good day to work on the kitchen cabinets. I did a little yesterday as I couldn't find the tomato sauce when I was cooking. It was way back in the cabinet. As a result I ended up reorganizing that cupboard. Now i need to finish the remaining cabinets.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Haven't started on the kitchen cabinets but I did do the bathroom closet & cabinets.

pattycakes

Retire Member
Nov 4, 2007
shutterbugsmd.blogspot.com
Hopefully I can get this done over the next couple of days!

[] Clean baseboards
[] Clean front door glass
[] Wash windows
[] Clean light fixture
[] Wipe down stair railing
[] Clear off landing
[] Vacuum
[] Mop

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
My foyer closet is cleaned. I just did some rearranging in the kitchen, so all the cereal and snacks cluttering the top of the fridge could have a home inside a cabinet. It looks so much better!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
For the past week -- the giant snowstorm has taken all our energy! The network television programs were "preempted" by local - 24-hour coverage of the storms, roads, etc. It was hypnotizing! I couldn't stop watching it -- and it sucked out all my energy!

Luckily - we have two-weeks for each plan!!! That makes all the difference -- between sticking with the plan -- and getting so far behind that we want to quit!

And quitting -- for good - is NO GOOD! We just have to quit-for-a-while -- or call it "rest" -- or call it "real life happening". And then -- climb back on!!!!

Right now -- I AM SO SICK OF MY KITCHEN! i have been in there -- cooking three meals a day, making hot chocolate, making coffee, etc. etc. etc. FOREVER! I want to get out of the house and -- LOOK AT SOMETHING ELSE!!!!!

Then - maybe - I can come back and finish those kitchen cabinets!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Our next section will be the Master Bedroom!

I believe that begins on February 14th!!! Hhhhmmmmmm.
And goes to the end of February!

Pumpkinpie

Retire Member
Jan 13, 2010
FL
Last night I tried a Swiffer Duster on my wood floors for the first time. It worked good. Especially with the dog hair. I try to do something most nights. I like Sparklenana 15 minute intervals.

My kitchen will probably need to be re-arranged after I finish unpacking. Right now I'm just finding places for some of the items just to get them put away.

As for my Master Bedroom, I need to accessorize. Perk it up. Since we moved, we purchased a new bedroom set (1st new one in 30 years) but the bed is sooo high. A King sized comforter is too short on the sides for my King bed. I might have to make a Duvet Cover to fit this summer. That is unless any of you have suggestions.??

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Pumpkinpie... I'm having the same problem with my bed!!! the mattress is so thick!! fortunately, I have a double bed... so I use queen and it turns out not bad at all.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
OK - the roads were plowed and I got out of the house today. MAYBE tomorrow I can start work on the kitchen cabinets.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Pumpkinpie, we have a King sized bed, but both like the duvet to stay down the sides (to keep the heat in), so while we initially got a king sized duvet (cheap and cheerful hollowfill fibre version just when we were getting married), we had some gift vouchers as wedding presents which we spent in the sales on a super-king sized, feather filled duvet (which is in 2 parts, a 4.5 tog summer weight and 9 tog mid-eseason weight, making a 13.5 tog winter weight version). We only got 2 covers for it as they were horrenduously expensive at the time (we didn't really DO big beds here at the time, so all the SK sized were luxury brands). It has been brilliant for the past 10 years almost (I think we bought it in the Easter sales the year we got married, or else the summer ones).

As for me, while I hadn't been concentrating on clearing out (work has not slowed much, although today I am getting a catchup day), I suddenly eralised last night that I am seeeing quite a bit of shelf in a few cuppboards! As in, goods are getting used up! I still have things to use, and we will have a few intersting experiemtns in the next few weeks, but the overall task is getting done almost without paying it any attention which is great.

But I do still have to clear out 2 cupboards properly. So that will probably happen when we hit this space again in a few weeks time (pantry weeks, am I right?).

Anyway, I am off to toddle around to a coworker and get her to sign off on something so I can clear my desk for a Friday afternoon!!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Pumpkinpye - We do something which may work for you! We put a king-size comforter "long-ways" over the sides of the bed. Then we put a second almost down to the flor "longways. And put the comforter we like best - over the top "longways". This provides softly coordinating "layers around the bed. The room is simple -- in shades of blue. Pale blue on the walls. White trim, white simple furniture. The bed is the "focal point" -- and the layers of fabric make it "interesting" and rich looking.

I am now in the kitchen - with an interesting TV show And a bucket of hot water - and "Bar Keeprs Friend" -- scrubbing grease off my stainless steel cabinets. Cleaning them inside and out. It is not as bad as I thought it would be.

Carry on, everyone!!!!!! I think we are on a roll!!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This two weeks at a time per project -- IS GREAT!!!!

Working on the kitchen cabinets. Watching the occasional good TV show. Talking to the occasional friend on the phone. Taking the occasional computer break. (And the occasional other break to do a different household project.) This is definitely working!!!!

Bar Keepers Friend is working to dissolve the built-up cooking grease. I have heard that it is an effective and gentle great cleaner!!! It is doing the job for me (with elbow grease - true! But - that is how we build up muscles in our arms! It's all good!)

Considering that I have had MANY days when I did NO HOUSEWORK during this two weeks -- I am amazed at how much we can still get done!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I have "a little bit" left from this cleaning challenge -- to carry over into the next challenge. The fronts of some of three or four of the kitchen cabinets still need to be scrubbed. And HALF of one of the bathroom closets needs to be cleaned out.

So -- how do I feel about NOT completing everything on my list?

Fine. I feel fine.

EVERYTHING we get done helps A LOT! It's better to look at all the things we HAVE done -- rather than at the things we haven't done yet!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'm starting the kitchen cabinets this morning... better late than never!