January Decor Ideas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Well, the time is fast approaching....I'll be taking down the holiday decor...and the place will be bare...sometimes I like the bare clean feeling but other times it just feels empty...What do you use during January? I've tried leaving out some snowmen but then it seems they NEVER get packed away...so I think I'll opt for something a little less seasonal....just not sure what....any ideas???

I'm thinking about lots of blue candles and other blue items...just because it reminds me of the cold winter....but not sure what I have on hand to fill that idea...so....

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Hmmmm, I hadn't thought about it, but now that I do, keeping my Christmas snowmen out isn't really changing it up at all either. Maybe a change is good to get past the winter blahs.

I painted our livingroom a great blue this fall (Behr Winter Lake) so I'm thinking adding some crisp white elements would be good in January. Get some white candles for my mantle to replace the dark wine coloured ones now in my crystal candlesticks. Not sure what else! New towels in my kitchen?

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
oooohhh....maybe I'll go with a white and blue scheme....hmmm....must ponder this more

masslass

Retire Member
Nov 10, 2008
Massachusetts, USA
I have a cute white snowflake-shaped candle that was sprinkled with some kind of sparkly clear glitter - so cute, but I wish I had more than one of them! I keep meaning to get some white or off-white pillar candles and cover them with just a sprinkle of glitter myself, for a nice wintry display on my table.

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
I tend to change the color of my throw blankets with the different seasons. I have a pretty blue one for January. I have some lighted twigs that get decorated with different things from December until February. Maybe you could use some wintery tree branches and decorate them with something wintery, maybe add glitter to the branches if you like.

Pamelajane

Retire Member
Apr 19, 2008
Hertfordshire.UK.
I have been thinking of this for a couple of days and i think that waht i will miss is the lights of the tree and on my mantle, they create such a cosy feeling so i will be looking at how i can recreate that feeling with some candles, will look for some new holders.

Pamelajane

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Gee, never thought about January decor before.

The blue and white sound nice.

I will miss the tree lights, too. Nice and cozy. Of course I don't take down Christmas till first or second week of Jan!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I put out my snowmen and decorate with them during January. It keeps the house from being "plain" and adds a bit of cheer.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
At Dollar General right before Christmas, I found some LED lights that were snowflakes. I wound them in and out of some of my Boyd's Bears. I have a bunch of snowmen (yeah, I know: this from someone who hates winter and snow!), and two wintery throws. I like the idea of blue and white! So pretty!

One thing I did do for Christmas was take three cylindrical shaped vases from the dollar tree; they are about three inches in diameter. I filled them with silver ball ornaments and icicles. Wouldn't that be pretty with some white lights if I can figure out how to do it? :) Maybe take the icicles out. Something to think about.

Belles

Retire Member
I decide to leave up a seasonal tree this year, with lights and all, I have it on a table that is going to be my holiday table. So far I have all my red and white dishes on it and plan to decorate the tree with valentine hearts. I'll post it on my blog after I decorate it. I think it'll be fun for Easter and 4th of July.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
This year I'll do nothing because of the wedding, but typically I pack up all the snowmen and snowflakes, etc. and pull out my winter branches and put those in tall white and clear vases. Sometimes I've filled the bottom of the clear vases with fake snow or just add water snow, sometimes not. I stick to natural branches or branches sprayed white, cream or silver. At times I've wound battery operated lights (small strand - 25 lights) through the fake snow in clear vases and turn those on when I want some fun lighting. In the past the kids have made tiny paper snowflakes and hung on the branches which is fine - just not keeping my Christmas ornaments out!

The other thing that I've done is to take a floral pick that has maybe 15 silver or cream balls (made to look like grapes almost) and I've cut the balls off the pick and filled a clear apothocary jar with the silver and cream balls. Easy and they were on sale several years ago!

I keep an "ice" looking wreath on my door until Valentines day then I switch out to something for that day and then (HEAVY sigh) usually move to something more spring like in early March.

I agree with Ginger in that I do like the clean and uncluttered feeling that comes with putting the Christmas decorations away so I tend to keep winter decor very simple.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
When we decorated for Christmas I did not put out all my snowmen. Only a couple were placed out on display. The rest are sitting in a tote that will be brought down this weekend when the Christmas stuff is packed up. The rest of my snowmen decorations will be put up in the living room, dinning room, and on steps foyer area. Certain candles and tarts (pine, christmas cookie, christmas eve scents) will be packed up and in their place I will use scents like sparkling snow, cranberry and cinnamon. I have a set of snowmen mugs, bowls, towels that will be used until March.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I use snowmen in trios in the kitchen...three on the microwave sitting on a bed of "snow", a set in the china cabinet, peeking out of tea cups, a few on top of the cabinets amongst the "regular" stuff...I have snowman dishes that we use from December 26-February 13...then I switch to the regular white ones for Valentine's Day on.

This year I am planning a "winter white" theme n my kitchen. I want to make a banner that says "winter whites" to hang on the corner china cabinet and I'm making a display on top of the china cabinet with my white pitchers, cake stands, platters and cups and saucers. I'll be posting it on Hamlet when I get it done, probably this weekend.

On my mantle, I'm planning something different than I usually use. I have a bunch of dried hydrangeas that I've glittered with ultra fine gold glitter (Martha Stewart Florentine Gold) and I've piled several of them into the mercury glass bowl that DH got me for Christmas. I also have mercury glass candlesticks and I'm looking for candles for them in either ivory or the right gold. I like the idea of the golds and reds I normally use in that room mixed with some silvery mercury glass and the deep purples I added at Christmas. I can't really describe my idea well, but I'll show you when I get it done.

In our bathroom, I'm keeping a lot of the silver and brown I used for Christmas. I love the look of the vintage glass balls and I might keep some of them out.

Also in the kitchen I have the year round tree. It needs another strand of lights so I'm going to take off the red ones and use all clear. I'll add snowflakes and icicles for January, then around the first of February the red glass hearts and faux cookie ornaments will go on. I"m leaving the ivy, mercury glass ornament and red bow on the light fixture in the kitchen. I love the look and it may stay year round.

On the front porch, I'm putting a couple of big fat pillar candles in hurricane globes and the same on the back porch. On the back, I'll add some throws for the couches...just for looks, if it's too cold to be out there. We like to sit out there when it snows..if it ever does snow here! LOL!!

Interesting to see what everyone is doing! Pictures on blogs would be great!

Farmermom4

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Our holiday house in North Idaho
I also didn't put all my snowmen out, love the year round tree idea, is it just a regular green artificial or does anyone use white trees? I could put snow flakes and icicles on it, have some snowflake ribbon could use as a topper. Started putting my christmas stuff up on the 27th, don't really like christmas up on new years, unless I get all my stuff out, then have to wait to clean it all up. This year was really simple decorations and I missed all my stuff. Have some Jan. piglets due so wanted to be ready for them.
Hoping next year to do what I call "Crazy Christmas" which is decorations in every room.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I like the idea of a year-round tree.

However, I do not want to decorate in 'cold' theme... it's too cold around here for too long (Canada)... so I'm thinking of buying some throws for the couch, and changing the pillows for something that looks comfy and 'hot'... candles, maybe I should change my curtains for something that gives more warmth to the room, I also want to take out my big basket, put some crafts & books in it with some movies in the living room.

Warmth.... that's the theme I need!

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
I totally agree lulu... I hate the cold! Might have to steal your ideas!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I got the top of the china cabinet redone...I was so inspired by this post! I'm still working on the other stuff...pictures later on tonight or tomorrow on Hamlet. Or the next day-I have to work tomorrow.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I usually just put back my decorations that stay out 3/4th of the year. My kitchen is looking really bare but for some reason it's not bothering me me. I've been wanting to change the look in there and this gives me the opportunity to do so. Let's see

Paint walls/cabinets
Replace small table with a storage cabinet
Replace worn kitchen rugs, kitchen linen

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I usually just put back my decorations that stay out 3/4th of the year. My kitchen is looking really bare but for some reason it's not bothering me me. I've been wanting to change the look in there and this gives me the opportunity to do so. Let's see

Paint walls/cabinets
Replace small table with a storage cabinet
Replace worn kitchen rugs, kitchen linen