Labor Day Weekend

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
School always used to begin AFTER Labor Day (long, long ago). This was nice for families - because the wage-earner could take only 4 vacation days - and get a week-long vacation. Labor Day Weekend was a big deal then.

This year -- I think one of the political conventions begins on Labor Day. (I am NOT talking politics here - no place for that! I am just talking holiday scheduling!) And in many area - school has begun the week before Labor Day. So are you planning anything special for Labor Day Weekend? We often have a neighborhood block party that weekend -- but we have already had one this summer and it is too soon for another (since the same people do all the work!)

And -- what is the weather like that weekend in your area? Can you count on anything? We are usually having thunderstorms at that time of year.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Usually we have nice fall weather and yes around here the schools start before now. I prefered when it was after.... this year we have a choice.... go to the festival in our town (special for Quebec's 400th year celebration)... or to my mom's house (it's a 3-hour drive and we like going on long weekends)...

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
The kids start school after Labor Day here. Our town is packed with activities that weekend. We'll head to the Arts Center for their festival, down to Ethnic Fest on Sunday and then to the County Fair on Monday. DH works the booth for his agency, then we check out the fair afterwards.

Lisa

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
We are camping for three nights for the holiday weekend about an hour from home. My daughter starts college the week before but will either drive home and go with us or drive to the campground since that is closer to campus. My mil and fil will be coming to the campground on Saturday or Sunday for a cookout. I'm not sure if anyone else will come out to visit or not. My brothers birthday is September 2 so we may have something for him on Monday (Labor Day) when we get home from the campground, usually a cookout and cake and ice cream.

cipalla

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
PA
we start school after labor day here.......this year though I found out that my oldest will have his first football game that weekend...so we won't be going anywhere....maybe a small family picnic.

christmas3

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
School has already started here. 1/2 day this past Tuesday and 1st full was yesterday. We usually have a dove hunt and cookout on Labor Day but not this year. We will be going to a Cattle show on Labor Day. We are in the registered Angus business and our girls show the cattle for us. It is fun just hot.

Christmas3
:package: :package: :package:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Last year we went to Branson over the long weekend. I doubt we will this year...too many people up there and too expensive for us this year. DH and I are planning on going in October to celebrate our wedding anniversary, and we want to take the kids at Christmas. I am sure DH will work on Monday, and the kids will already be back in school...I may have a few friends over for a cookout, or we may go to our friends' community pool to swim...if we get invited! LOL! We usually do get invited!

With all the activities and gatherings we have coming up this fall, it might be nice to just take this last summery weekend (in feeling, not in weather here-it'll be in the 90s for another few weeks) to just stay home and relax.

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
Last year I forgot it was Labor Day... oops!! How crazy is that.

We do year round school so... we have been in school all summer.

Maybe this year we should do something... at least grill some burgers and roast a few marshmallows to say good-bye to summer.

Noelsmommy

Santa's Elves
Have no clue what we will be doing. I am looking forward to just some family time. Just the 5 of us. We have had a busy summer that always includes other people. I want just me, hubby and kids before everything gets busy again.

Hopefully we can pull it off! Wish me luck!

Kelly :skate:

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
It is after Labour Day for us, we plan on a BBQ with my sister and her family.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Kid's don't start school here until the Wensday after Labor Day. But Labor Day weekend is the end of racing season and also the weekend of the biggest race of the year :party: is what we do all weekend. You have thousands and thousands of people there for this race. I usually only take my oldest dd to this race but last year she decided not to go, she already said she's not going this year she will probley watch my niece for the weekend. As of right now we are 4th in point standings so have a good chance of starting 200 lap race in the front of the pack of about 35 cars.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
KimD - how exciting!!! I wish we could all be with you this weekend!! (But, I guess it would kind of cramp your style -- sort of like the Verizon TV ads! People ask what that huge group of people following you is? "Oh, thats my MHH family," you reply casually.) :grouphug:

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
School begins here on Aug. 27th. We don't have any big plans for Labor Day. Just staying at home for a quiet afternoon.

Grammyk

Retire Member
Jan 14, 2008
We will be going to the NW MO State fair, not as big a deal as it used to be, but it will be the first time DH and I have gotten away just the two of us in awhile. Gary Allen will be the main attraction. Looking forward to it.

Janet

Retire Member
Jul 27, 2008
Pinetop,AZ
School starts here before Labor Day. The 26th to be exact. With hubby working in retail he'll probably be working Labor Day, but hopefully I can at least get him to grill out this year.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Here, school starts before Labor Day. I don't have any plans. I will work Saturday at my parttime job to earn some extra money for the holidays. Maybe Sunday we'll get together and throw a few things on the grill - nothing special. On Monday I plan to get up real early and do some holiday shopping then go back home and relax for the rest of the day.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
SparkleNana said:
KimD - how exciting!!! I wish we could all be with you this weekend!! (But, I guess it would kind of cramp your style -- sort of like the Verizon TV ads! People ask what that huge group of people following you is? "Oh, thats my MHH family," you reply casually.) :grouphug:
Wouldn't cramp my style at all. Supermodified racing is starting to become a thing of the past. It's more like Indy racing. There are actually a few Indy racers that come race this race. If each fan could convert one person it would be great. Actually the stands are starting to fill up in anticipation of the big race of the year. There is one racer that is 68 and this year is racing his 41st Classic race at the speedway. It is amazing to watch someone his age come in and show the younger racers how todo it.Now we have one more thing to add to the weekend the first football games are that weekend. I told ds10 and he said mom its more important for you to be at my game not your brothers race. Of course I will be at the game then off to the races I head.

leslie03

Retire Member
Jul 14, 2008
Augusta, GA
School started here on Aug 11. When I was in school it started around Aug. 21st. We don't plan anything for Labor Day, maybe just grill out for dinner.