Less traffic on boards?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

MamaCat

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Texas
Is it just me, or do these boards seem less busy ever since they went down & came back up? Or maybe I have something "set" wrong & I'm just not doing something right? Seems like in years past, about this time of year things really started jumping here!

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I wonder if it's just that we maybe don't have some of the really chatty threads resurrected again. I mean those threads that people can reply over and over again to.

Have we forgotten some topics?

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
MamaCat - yes - the boards DO seem less busy to me this year! I notice that a lot of people are reading -- but not posting (yet).

Belles

Retire Member
Thank you, I thought it was just me; or because before you could keep scrolling down to past posts and not just "Todays", so if you had missed one a day or two before you ressurrest it. Although it does seem that there a people reading and not doing much posting.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Belles that option of scrolling down all past just not today ... is making a difference I'm sure. I really liked to be able to use that option.

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
It does seem that way, doesn't it? I hope it picks up a bit now that the holidays are fast approaching. I need all the advice I can get!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I don't mean to offend anyone and I'm so GRATEFUL the board is back. BUT I don't much like the set up of this board to me it's harder to navigate and I also like to be able to go back as far as I'd like in the post.

Sorry Ginger I really do appreciate everything you, the mods and all the technical people do, guess it's that part of me that's curious and wants to see everything lol

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
Thank you, I thought it was just me; or because before you could keep scrolling down to past posts and not just "Todays", so if you had missed one a day or two before you ressurrest it. Although it does seem that there a people reading and not doing much posting.

I'm not sure if this helps with what you are wanting but the 'Todays posts' option is there when you go to the forums page. This option shows only those post for that day (or 24 hours??). When you log in there is a New Posts option. That does seem to go further back (I think from the time you last logged on). Girlsinmo, if you still want to go further back, I would just go to the first page when you first sign in and just look within the topics that interest you. This is how I actually used to do it, so I find the todays posts option very convenient.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Thanks Jinglemom. I went back and found a couple(or parts of them rather) of post and posted on them again.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Oh yes there are some things to learn around here for sure and its a bit more complicated however because of the spamming and the hacking we needed tight security.

You should be able to go all the way back in posts....BUT what you might be experiencing is searching for some threads that have been deleted because they were corrupted...

I'm not completly comfortable with the new boards and the old ones did seem a bit easier but SIGH....having to deal with that element out there that likes to disrupt board life is necessary.

The New posts and todays post options are there...just in a bit different manner...honestly on the other boards I always just used the new posts option....didn't know there was another...LOL

Traffic is up a lot right now but yes I suppose posting is down some...honestly I think people are just so super busy that its easy to read but hard to post...Some of our more creative thread starters are busy with life and sometimes that does led to less posting...and others may be shy about starting new topics....but please feel free to...dont want for others to take the bull by the horn....if theres something youd like to get going...do it!!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
i find it hard to navigate as well. It kind of makes me want to get thru it as quickly as possible and see the MUST READS, but not want to linger much. I dont' know what it is specifically, but it's definately not as user friendly.

holidaynut

Premiere Member
Dec 6, 2007
Newfoundland, Canada
I am guilty of reading more and hardly posting. I am trying to catch up because I don't want to miss anything :) I have gotten so many great ideas from the boards, my kids really love the 12 days of Christmas gifts, they look forward to that as much as Christmas Day. Hope to post more often as the "big day" gets closer!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I am SO THANKFUL to have our MagicalHolidayHome -- and all the wonderful people who post (or who just read)! Remember -- Gingerbug HAD TO redesign the boards -- because of the immature anti-magic people who were attacking and spamming our home! She didn't just sit down one day and decide to dedicate two weeks of her precious time ... for a whim! She did it for us!

When you post -- do you go to the bottom of the "submit" page.... and change to the line that says "Notify me when there is a response to this thread"?????/

Then - you get a notice whenever somebody posts to a thread you are following.

You click on the link that says -- "Take me to this thread" -- and it gives you that first response AND any other responses that have come in since then.

The catch? You have to post.

But..... you could post a one word post. Like "Terrific". or two words like "Good idea" or "Thank you".

So - before I leave this thread -- I am going to the bottom of the page that says "Miscellaneous Options" At "Thread Subscription"...... I am clicking "Instant email notification?. Then your inbox gets lots of great mail from your MHH Friends!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
SparkleNana -- Will that email link stay there in my email? So I can go back to it more than once? (I'll have to try that). I love coming here to MHH too but I find I rush to move through the New Posts so I don't get timed out. If I take too long in my replies, I get timed out and lose my place.

What I miss most is the My Posts feature that puts all the posts that I've replied to in one place. (So I have a nice little collection of the posts I'm currently involved in.) Can that Email Reply feature to describe do that? If so, I'd be so happy!

Thank you Ginger for juggling us all so well!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Belles that option of scrolling down all past just not today ... is making a difference I'm sure. I really liked to be able to use that option.

I used this heavily as well...it takes some getting used to to keep going back to the main "Boards" menu.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
SparkleNana...I got it...Thank You...LOL

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
SparkleNana -- Will that email link stay there in my email? So I can go back to it more than once? (I'll have to try that). I love coming here to MHH too but I find I rush to move through the New Posts so I don't get timed out. If I take too long in my replies, I get timed out and lose my place.

What I miss most is the My Posts feature that puts all the posts that I've replied to in one place. (So I have a nice little collection of the posts I'm currently involved in.) Can that Email Reply feature to describe do that? If so, I'd be so happy!

Thank you Ginger for juggling us all so well!

I just noticed that when you are logged on, if you click on the user CP option on the top left, this will list the topics where you have posted all grouped together. I don't know how long it keeps this information, but mine has at least 2 days ago. After you click on user cp, when your new posts appear, there is another option in the lower right corner to see all your posts. This showed everything I have replied to. I have also noticed that when I am signed in and looking at the main forums page. a check mark appear in the topics that I have just recently posted.

Last edited:

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
Well, I was wondering if fewer people are posting due to the economy. Sorry to bring it up, but some are down since this year will be different than others due to limited funds & such. However, this is a great place to discuss how to make the holidays special no matter what. Just thought I'd throw that out there. I'm really going to try to post more often since I have lots to get done before the holidays! Happy posting to everyone!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hi again! Cindylouwho -- that link will stay in your email messages until you erase that message. (I've kept them for a few days before erasing.)

Appleton - You have raised a very interesting point -- about how the terrible world-wide economic recession may be affecting people's feelings about Christmas.

I know that if my extended family was "competitive" about gifts -- that would be really uncomfortable for me. Instead, they have all decided to spend LOTS LESS and enjoy things MUCH MORE! Just giving gifts to the children -- and really enjoying the time together - and watching the children play.

There are all kinds of ways that money can be uncomfortable and/or horrible! And make life complicated! So - the terrible economy may very well be affecting people's attitudes towards Christmas. Almost one in ten people are out of work. And many more are working only part-time - with no benefits!

On this board....... I am VERY comfortable talking about the best ways to spend almost nothing! And sharing ways to have fun --- again, while spending very little money! I have never felt that anyone here was "competitive". Quite the opposite!