Looking for a very simple game

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

christmasallyear

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
to have during Christmas dinner. Here is the scenario: there will be two tables of family set up for dinner due to space restrictions - one in the dining room and one in the adjacent living room - thus we are able to see and converse with each other but separate tables are a necessity. I want to have a friendly competition between the two tables - the "green" table and the "red" table - with approximately 10 people sitting at each.

I need something fun for the teens and the adults present and something very easy for me to run, as the hostess (I will obviously be busy with the food and drink etc.) as we finish up the meal and while everyone is still seated. I would like to have a fun, at-the-table game in between dinner and dessert & coffee - and before all the teens scatter out to the family room.

Any ideas for me? :tree:

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
What about printing out some Christmas words and putting them in a jar(two jars one for each table) table no. 1 picks out a word-then they have to sing a Christmas song with that word in it. Then it's the next teams turn.
Or you could print out titles of Christmas songs and then table no.1 picks a hummer. They pick out a title and hum it-the team members have to guess the song. Does that make sense?

christmasallyear

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
What about printing out some Christmas words and putting them in a jar(two jars one for each table) table no. 1 picks out a word-then they have to sing a Christmas song with that word in it. Then it's the next teams turn.
Or you could print out titles of Christmas songs and then table no.1 picks a hummer. They pick out a title and hum it-the team members have to guess the song. Does that make sense?

I love the "humming" a Christmas song idea! Love it! Thanks!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I like the song idea too :)

How about using an idea from cranium, where there are some cards with sculpting (playdoh) some with drawing (like pictionary) and trivia...

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We often play the "word game" as posted on these boards. By going around the table the first person starts with,
A is for Advent, B is for Blizzard and around the table like that. It works for any ages because even little kids can figure it out.

christmasallyear

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
Thank you all for the ideas! I would like to try a couple of them for my girls night in evening, after some wine!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
From various sites:
Sock Guessing Game - Christmas Games
You take a new pair of thick thermal socks. You know the gray ones that hunters use in the winter. Then you put objects, that you see or use around Christmas time, into the socks. Make sure you put the same things in each sock. Things like holly, scotch tape, ornament, pine cone, etc. Make sure you put about 20 to 25 different objects in. Tie a ribbon or rope around the opening to make sure nobody peeks. Give everyone a piece of paper and pass the socks around at your party and tell them how many objects there are in the sock and have them write down all they can feel. Two socks just makes the game go a little faster. The person that guesses the most objects is the winner.

Guess How Many
Put wrapped candy in a jar and leave some pencils and small slips of paper in the center of the table. Let people guess how many candies they think are in the jar.

Christmas Tablecloth Decorating
(This would be fun to do. Each person decorates their place. Then cut and put each drawing into a picture frame for them to keep. I 'd just give them each a sheet of paper instead of using a tablecloth)
When the kids start to clamor around the table for asking food, divert their attention by having them decorate the tablecloth with Christmas designs. Leave your Aunt Harriet's fine linens in the china closet and use a cheap, disposable tablecloth instead. You can even keep this doodling tablecloth every year to see the progression of the children's artwork. Have the kids use permanent markers and date and sign their creations so you have the information in years to come.

The Worst Christmas Presents
Discuss the best and worst presents you ever received for Christmas. Tell stories describing the coolest and most awful gifts you got. Just remember not to tell a story about the worst present in front of the person who gave it to you! Hold dessert hostage until everyone shares a story about their best or worst Christmas present.

Christmas Game 5 Christmas Story Time
One person will start the game off by making up a story about Christmas and stop after two or three sentences. The person sitting adjacent will carry on from where they left off and so on.

Christmas Gift list
Ask the guests to write their name vertically down the side of a piece of paper. Give them a few minutes to write Christmas gifts starting with each letter, beside each letter. Try to make up as many as possible beginning with each letter. The guest with the greatest number wins the prize.

Candy and Mittens
Give each table a pair of large mittens and a bowl of wrapped candy (like kisses). The first person puts on the mittens, UNWRAPS a candy and then eats the candy. Mittens are passed to the next person. When everyone one at the table has done this their table wins. Would have to have same number of people at each table.