Looking for photo/ornament craft idea

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

BeritL

Retire Member
Jun 5, 2008
Please help. I am so not crafty but am looking for a simple craft idea for a photo ornament.

At my son's old daycare (we have since moved) they took a photo, placed it in a round plastic-like frame, hung a bow and hanger on it, penned in the date and name. I'd like to do this going forward but I'd like it to be something that could last (I'm thinking not paper or cardstock as that could tear too easily.

Has anyone seen anything like this or have any ideas how to go about it - or even just where to find something to use as the "frame"?

if I get a chance, I'll see if I can get a pic of the one we have - not that it has to look the same - I just like the idea. But it might be awhile...

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Berit

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I have seen cannig jar rings used like a frame, then ribbon around the outside and a looped formed to hang it...on the back of the picture you could use colored or printed paper.

I have also seen inexpensive ones at a craft store...such as Jo Ann Fabrics, Pat Catans or Michaels.

good luck and enjoy the crafting. :party:
Linda

BeritL

Retire Member
Jun 5, 2008
Thanks, Linda - I may see what I can find.

Well, I decided to just go ahead and get the photo up. I guess they didn’t write on this one (the other one they did, but I can’t find it right now without digging). Anyway, it looks like they used some wire that sticks through to the back of the frame – probably wrapped around the bow. That is different from the cord they used to wrap around the bow and create the hanger. Not sure how well you can see that on the pics. I’ve uploaded them here:

http://www.PicSmart.net/is.php?i=986&im ... _001.j.jpg (front)
http://www.PicSmart.net/is.php?i=987&im ... _002.j.jpg (back)

I hope you can see them OK. I don’t think they came out very good. 1 is front, 1 is back – although there’s not much there.

As I said, doesn’t have to be just like this – other ideas are welcome. I just like the idea of making one each year. For ourselves, and maybe as gifts. Or maybe even a family pic. Just not sure what to do for frames. And always looking for other ideas.

Thanks.
Berit

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Years ago when the kids were in grade school, they used the metal lids (now would be plastic) from mayo and put the picture in and then glued lace around the edge. If you are using a smaller picture then use card stock or a Christmas theme paper behind picture. Ours have held up great and that has been 13-15 years ago.

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
Those are REALLY cute!
Sorry I don't have any ideas for you tho.

Rackandrollgal

MHH Member
Dec 22, 2007
Great Smoky Mountains
I saw one the other day (somewhere in cyberspace, not sure where) where they used an old cd, covered it in scrapping paper, applied the photo and embelishments...sort of a mini scrapbook page idea. They were beautifully done!

BeritL

Retire Member
Jun 5, 2008
Thanks for all the suggestions - now I just have to decide what I want to do :) It's fun seeing/hearing all the ideas, though!

I did find a "frame" pretty similar to what was used before at Michael's - so at least that's another option. But I'm not sure what I want to do yet - but there's time (although I know it will be gone before I know it! )

Berit