Making your own laundry soap...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
In an effort to lessen the amount of chemicals in our home, I have elected to try to make our own laundry soap. I've found several recipes online. Does anyone do this?

My husband is allergic to several laundry soaps and I've read that you can use Ivory or Dove (neither of which seem to bother him) for the soap flakes in your laundry soap. I've also read that making your own can cut the cost of laundry to pennies a load. We probably go through about 4 litres a month. At about $4 a litre it starts to add up.

We've already made the switch to natural glass cleaners, bathroom cleaners, and kitchen soap - here's to hoping this will be a success as well.

:bigsnow:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Never tried this but I know my mom bought a magical ball.... you just put it in the laundry instead of soap and she says it works well. She has had hers for over a year and she does lots of laundry.
http://www.intersourcing.tv/EproduitDB.asp?NumProID=50
I want to check this out but haven't had time yet.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Hmm...I hadn't heard of those washer balls! I use dryer balls instead of fabric softener.....again more of a skin reaction issue, but I find they work really well. We only really get static when I wash several blankets at once. They're only about $5 for a set and I've been using them for over a year.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm made my own bar soap. It's not hard, just time consuming but well worth it. I've never made laundry soap but I do use plain white vinegar for softener. I really like it and my machine stays really clean.

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
I've never tried making my own laundry soap, but I have looked into it and would love to have a go.

The 'recipe' I have asks for liquid castille soap which I have been unable to find here in the UK, so I kindof never got around to making it.

If you find any great recipes please post them FrostyShimmer.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I just fill up the fabric softener slot with the white vinegar.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
The recipe I found uses Ivory soap. I couldn't find castille soap that was required in other recipes. I plan on making it this weekend, so I can let you know how it turns out.

Debbieoz

Retire Member
May 21, 2008
Rural Kansas
I've been making soap for several years. There is a great site to buy soap shreds (that's what you want) if you don't want to make it yourself. http://www.soapcrafters.com They are great people and have tons of recipes for all kinds of wonderful items. Let me know if anyone needs any help. :-D

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I have made my own laundry soap for almost a year now and I love it. Clothes are clean and I am saving so much money!!

Melanie

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
Happy2bme, can you post the recipe you use please, I'd love to have a go especially if it saves money!

hollybow

Retire Member
May 19, 2008
seems that a lot of you are very succesful with the white vinegar.. I never tried it.. which vinegar will I have to use? and the laundry doesn´t get the smell of it?
I really would love to give it a try..

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Snowbelle,

I am sorry to say that I am computer illiterate and don't know how to post a link to a site and my husband is at work. The name of the site is The Family Homestead. Click on Homemaking and Home Management from the left hand side of the screen. You will find the recipe, answers to any questions you might have and pictures of each step in the process.

It is really easy - I can make a batch in under 15 minutes. If you have any questions, let me know.

Melanie

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
happy2bme said:
I am sorry to say that I am computer illiterate and don't know how to post a link to a site and my husband is at work. The name of the site is The Family Homestead. Click on Homemaking and Home Management from the left hand side of the screen. You will find the recipe, answers to any questions you might have and pictures of each step in the process.

That's the recipe I'm going to try this weekend. So happy to hear you had success with it.

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
Happy2bme, thanks so much for that, I really must have a go.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Well, a little later than I'd planned, but I finally made my own laundry soap yesterday! All of my Ivory went missing in the move and being too impatient to wait until our next trip to town, I used a natural glycerin soap I'd picked up once. It's wildberry and lavender....and purple. Lol, I made a giant batch and it's purple! It smells wonderful though. It seemed a lot thicker than I'd expected given the recipe described it as "watery", but I think that could be because I used a glycerine soap? Anyways, I put in some old white pillowcases and a brown blanket to test it out. The white pillowcases are to see if they turn purple lol. I wouldn't dare put my husband's clothes through the wash until I know for sure.

Btw, this is going to sound stupid, but for those of you who use vinegar as fabric softener....what exactly do you do with it? I've never really heard of fabric softener. We always just put the detergent in and that was it.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
SUCCESS! Well, I got 2 large laundry detergent containers full of laundry soap for a total expenditure of under $2 for both!

My pillowcases came out pure white...not purple, and there is barely any scent. It's really just a clean smell. I've done another 3 loads of laundry and they all turned out beautifully.

I am so happy with this. I doubt I will ever by commercial laundry detergent again.

:bigsnow: