Making your own laundry soap...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
It's so nice to hear from someone who's just tried making their own Laundry soap. I'm going to try this the next time I need Laundry soap. It might be a while since I have 6 containers of soap left. One container lasts me 6 months. lol I hope I remember to make my own!

jkbb2

Retire Member
Oct 17, 2007
this is so awesome! thanks so much for sharing! can't wait to try it!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'd love to add a scent to the soap for the holidays. I love the lavender wildberry smell I'm using now. That's just the soap's scent and it really just leaves a light clean smell.

Does anyone have any ideas of scents that might work well in the clothing, linens, etc.? I love cinnamon as a holiday smell, but I'm not sure I'd like my clothes to smell like that. lol.

Maybe some kind of citrusy smell with a light hint of spice?

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
Wow, How intriguing!!! With the cost of laundry soap in the store, not to mention the chemicals, I just told DH and we are going to give this a try!!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!!

I already have the borax and the essential oil. :grin:

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I use vinegar instead of softener. It started when we were using cloth nappies for the baby, as you are not supposed to use conditioner on them (it means they are less absorbent - not good for a nappy!). The same is actually true for towels, altough I only found that out later.

Just put a good slug into the conditioner section of the washing machine and wash as normal. I was filling up the container, but when I was almost out, I reduced the amount to just a couple of good squirts (the amount for maybe 2-3 plates of chips!!) and it worked fine. They come out lovely and fresh and still quite soft. I rarely use commercial conditioner now.

I also found that you can add a couple of drops of tea tree essential oil to the wash as well. (With or instead of the vinegar). This is a great antiseptic for clothes, but it also leaves them smelling nice too. I sometimes add a couple of drops of tea tree and a couple of drops of lavendar oil (really lovely on sheets, as it helps get relaxed for sleep).