March 2021 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I went through a cabinet and looked at what I hadn't used since I last decluttered in the summer. I put some items in the donation bin. A few old plastic containers were recycled. Other items found there way to the cabinet and I put them back where they belong. I'm noticing a pattern in this house. Lots of things are in the wrong place. Hmmm... I was guilty of it in the dining room but not the kitchen.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I just saw that our community will be doing a bulky waste pick up next month. We need to register but when we do the council will pick up the items that we place on the gutter. Looking now at things that I can be rid of.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Since the weather was so nice yesterday after work we opened up the garage and started cleaning. We finally were able tp get all the outside Christmas decorations back up in the attic over the garage. Got a nice pile of broken items that will get tossed next moth during bulk pick up day. We have bulk pick the first week of every month. Was able to toss or consolidate stuff and now I have a nice stack of boxes that will go out next week with the recycle pick up.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Since the weather was so nice yesterday after work we opened up the garage and started cleaning. We finally were able tp get all the outside Christmas decorations back up in the attic over the garage. Got a nice pile of broken items that will get tossed next moth during bulk pick up day. We have bulk pick the first week of every month. Was able to toss or consolidate stuff and now I have a nice stack of boxes that will go out next week with the recycle pick up.
Ahhhhh......feels so good :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
tired of holding onto stuff just because or of what ifs.
This is how I feel this year. I have kept so many "party " items just in case we throw a huge party. We haven't done that in years, we just have family events now. This is the year that things that I will not use or do not love go out the door.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Minta, they are my thoughts too. It worked well enough when my children were younger but as they have gotten older, a lot of the stuff they aren't using and it's time to pass it on. On the other hand, I've been holding on to things to do/make/use one day. Well, one day is here whether I want it to be or not. I made myself a list of those items and I've given myself an ultimatum to use it within the next 6 months. If I don't use it, then I'm going to pass it on.

I decluttered and organized 4 cabinets in the kitchen. A few things made it to the trash but I am using everything else. I have one more cabinet to tackle this week. It stores all the cookbooks, recipe binders and recipe cards.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just watched an episode of Hoarders. Quickly tidied a kitchen drawer while cooking dinner.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Minta, they are my thoughts too. It worked well enough when my children were younger but as they have gotten older, a lot of the stuff they aren't using and it's time to pass it on. On the other hand, I've been holding on to things to do/make/use one day. Well, one day is here whether I want it to be or not. I made myself a list of those items and I've given myself an ultimatum to use it within the next 6 months. If I don't use it, then I'm going to pass it on.

I decluttered and organized 4 cabinets in the kitchen. A few things made it to the trash but I am using everything else. I have one more cabinet to tackle this week. It stores all the cookbooks, recipe binders and recipe cards.
I have so many cook books, I need to purge some but I can't bring myself to do that. Some were gifts from my MIL who passed away but I am going to ask my kids if they want any.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I went through the cookbook shelf and kept all the cookbooks. However, I had other loose recipes torn from magazines, etc. in a folder with a bunch of kitchen appliance manuals. That whole folder was looked through and almost everything was recycled. The cabinet is much more organized looking. This was not the week to do it, but I will have to go through the recipe clippings that were put in photo albums and my recipe binder to see what I want to keep based on what I've used. That's a whole Saturday afternoon project for a rainy day.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have so many cook books, I need to purge some but I can't bring myself to do that. Some were gifts from my MIL who passed away but I am going to ask my kids if they want any.
My philosophy on decluttering is not to throw every thing out and not to throw out things that we love and cherish. If you cannot part with items then don't. I have some very sentimental things here and I will deal with them when I am ready. In the meantime I will declutter everything else.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My philosophy on decluttering is not to throw every thing out and not to throw out things that we love and cherish. If you cannot part with items then don't. I have some very sentimental things here and I will deal with them when I am ready. In the meantime I will declutter everything else.
One of the things that I found in the cookbooks was a receipt from when I was first on my own. They were lean times but I was determined to make it on my own. When I did buy something, it wasn't frivolous. It was meaningful and full of purpose. I couldn't part with the receipt. I think deep down, I need that to remind me of who I was then, where I am now but at the same time, not to forget how hard I worked to get here.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Started going through my Easter decorations. I have a small pile to get rid of. I’m going to go back through the totes again. After pondering a few things for a couple of days there a couple more things to get rid of.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Not much but climbed in the attic to get a few things for Xavier (a flashlight, some kid dishes and a cart) and threw out 2 empty boxes of toy-registers... guess I kept the boxes but got rid of the registers.

Reactions: Lana and jampss

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Started going through my Easter decorations. I have a small pile to get rid of. I’m going to go back through the totes again. After pondering a few things for a couple of days there a couple more things to get rid of.
Pulled out Easter yesterday. When I put Easter away I will put out Winter decor and double check Spring. I have gone from two seasonal totes to one, just kept what I really liked.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I’m watching ... Organizers / De-Clutterers and their house tours
That could be interesting. I will jump over and have a look.