May 16 - 22 Foyer/Closets

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Here we are: Foyer/Closets Week. Hhhhmmmmmm -- this MAY be an adjustable week. If your Foyer and Closets are in good shape..... through some miracle....... you may chose to emphasize another area.

May 23rd begins Living Room Week.

And May 30 begins Dining Room Week.

I may merge these three rooms together. Because we are going away for a couple of weeks in this three week period. So.... I can at least give these three rooms a "once over". And.... perhaps.... a little more than that.

For Foyer/Closets Week - I did do something today. At the Thrift Shop Half Price Day (today) I found four rally good quality wooden pants/skirt hangers. Usual price 35 cents each. There were four of them -- total cost 70 cents for four. I think the rest of what can try to do for closets -- is to try to de a quick decluttering of each one. Getting a big bag together for the Thrift Shop.

Tonight is the night the programs on Hoarding are on. I THINK you can also watch them on the internet. Maybe "Hutu" is the site. I haven't used it.

Last edited:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I've been thinking about this week on the HGP Summer plan.
I do have a entry/coat closet. And yes, it does need attention.

My sis is coming for a visit at the beginning of June so I really want to focus on getting my place "guest ready." That's what I'm going to be working on this week.

I'll do the closets in another week on an area I don't have at my house- like an attic.

Annie

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
AnnieClaus -- absolutely right! Getting ready for a house guest is a great incentive! Use that for all it's worth -- and hopefully, we will get inspired by you!

Tomorrow -- I was planning a day-long workathon! Then... dh reminded me that we have a "businessey lunch". An unusual -- and treasured -- occurrence! So -- I will have until 11:00 am to work tomorrow -- before getting ready for the luncheon. I think that I ACTUALLY WILL work on the foyer and front hall closet. They are not too terribly bad. And -- it would be nice to celebrate that accomplishment at lunch!

The WORST closet is my closet -- which is in the Guest Room. And.... the Guest Room is terrible. (The closet is terrible too.) Maybe that will be my project for the rest of the week. We'll see....

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Hi guys,

Hope you don't mind if I jump in here! I just joined the forum :)

It's a great idea to do a Summer Holiday Grand Plan (well... it's Winter over here :) )

This week I'm going to focus on the outdoor areas. There is a lot of work which needs to be done there! Will be good to get some of it out of the way...

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jump on in...the more the merrier.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hi Saquilla! It's great that you are jumping in! We all encourage and motivate each other!

Today - dh and I leave at 11:00. So - before then -- I will work on the entry and the front hall closet. The entry is pretty tiny - and we cleaned it last week. So it shouldn't take long. So -- everything OUT of the hall closet. And then - sweep and vacuum!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Yay, jackfrosty! i LOVE easy!!!!

OK -- I emptied out the hall closet -- everything is in the living room. NOW... I see why the hall closet wasn't bothering me! You don't have to go in there for coats and mittens and hats.... when it is HOT outside! So.... I wasn't looking at it!

Well -- it was piled three or four feet high! With all kinds of things! A blanket! All the "carry-your-groceries-home-in-reuseable-bags that I have ever bought. Bags of bird food. umbrellas. Miscellaneous gardening tools. Etc, etc, etc. And -- on the very bottom -- a bag of spilled bird seed!

I took a quick break for breakfast.... and to come back here. I have a little less than two hours to clean everything up. Put things away neatly. AND.... throw some stuff out (I hope). Then -- sweep and vacuum everything. Because I know there will be bird seed everywhere! YIKES!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Tonight is the night the programs on Hoarding are on. I THINK you can also watch them on the internet. Maybe "Hutu" is the site. I haven't used it.

Sparklenana - the site is www.hulu.com and it is really convenient! You can watch lots of shows for free - you just need to register. we tried it for the first time recently when our TiVo failed to record Lost...my DH was so bummed and then he found it online!

As for the foyer/closets...I had some serious work to do this week. My DS(4) has been acting out a bit lately and decided to "decorate" the wall going up the stairs with pencil! Fortunately, Magic Eraser did the trick, but I really had to ask our nanny - "Where were you?" (he covered a 4ft area) It was not a nice surprise after a long day at work. Oh well.

The coat closet is long overdue for an excavation! It is the dumping ground for my stash & dash when people come over. I'm loving the summer HGP...even if I don't do it all, the extra little tasks and focus on each room is a huge help!

Colleen

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Back for another break. The bird seed is all swept up. I am hanging dh's coats in the hall closet. And -- extra wooden hangers for guests' coats.

My plan is to put my coats/jackets in my closet -- which is in the guest room/office/Christmas Prep Room. So far -- they are being piled on the bed. But... baby steps. I think I will have the foyer/hall closet in good order -- before we have to leave.

Ahead of things? Not really..... since I MAY be gone for the two weeks after this. Which are the Living Room and the Dining Room. So... if I finish the foyer/hall closet...... I will go on to the other two rooms for the rest of the week.

To tell the truth -- the only REALLY bad rooms are (1) our bedroom.... where I sort paper and do paperwork while watching TV. And -- the office/guest room/Christmas prep room. Which holds my clothes. AND... is the dumping place for everything that doesn't have a home. And the back porch.

So.... I don't get much credit for going through the rooms that have received a lot of work in the past. HOWEVER -- it does keep them in good shape -- which is VERY important!

OK -- off to finish putting things away.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
We don't have a hall closet or much of an entry so I am going to steam clean the steps and top landing (we ionly have carpet upstairs) and clean out the linen closet. That closet is in the upstairs closet. I did that not too long ago so it shouldn't be too bad. If tomorrow is cool and rainy like today I may try to sneek up in the attic for a bit.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Good idea, piratemamaof3boys!
I followed an idea from AnnieClaus of just setting a timer and picking an area and "kind of seeing what happens!'

I started with the drawers that hold my clothing. I tried rolling instead of folding --- makes it much easier to see what you have -- all at once. As I went through -- I found plenty of things that were too small and/or too worn out. Or - that I always hated wearing. Tossed them all. (They were NOT nice enough to give to someone else.)

Taking a break for a snack, some water, and a rest with MHH! After the break -- I am going back into the office/guest room -- where a lot of my clothing is piled on the bed. I'll set a timer and see what happens.

Oh - in my drawers, I discovered the extra set of sheets for my bed. I had forgotten they were there. I think it is better if they are in the linen closet. That means other things HAVE TO leave the linen closet. All in good time. Right now..... I am working on My clothes and MY closet.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I saw on one of the designing shows were they did something similar w/ the shirts I "double fold" so they are upright and I can see each individual shirt, its helpful

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Morning ladies!

So today I've got my work cut out for me!! Going to spend as much time as possible in the back yard. I really want it to be nice for Fairy Day so I can have afternoon tea outside with my girls. Also need to arrange for a garage door quote. At the moment we have a gate for the carport, and it's driving me absolutely batty! If I only get one thing done this year - replacing that gate with a proper door will be it!!

On a side note, I love the idea of rolling clothes instead of folding them. I went through my younger daughters clothes yesterday and put away all the newborn ones she's grown out of, and half of them she had never even worn! Mainly because they were folded at the bottom of the drawer.

Well... have a fab Tuesday!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am not doing closets just yet as I only did them about 4 weeks ago. I am tackling my loungeroom, and will get to the closets later on in the program. We are doing so well ladies, I am proud of us all. If all else fails we will at least have tidy closets at the end of this plan.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
May 18th. Keeping up with routines. And.... continuing on the closets. Now... the closet that holds my clothing. I am alternating that with... paperwork. Decluttering, sorting, organizing. Luckily -- it is a cool, gloomy, rainy day. An excellent day for working inside! And -- there are a lot of interesting elections around our country today. So... there will be plenty of news to watch on TV.

So far...... the Summer Holiday Grand Plan is carrying me along! I am happy and grateful for that! I suspected that May might be the most productive month -- because it is the month with the coolest summer weather. Well...... baby steps. Anything we do now (this summer) will help us have a more peaceful and joyful Christmas 2010! And.... anything we do now will help us have a more peaceful and joyful Summer 2010!!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Yesterday was a nice cool day outside so I decided to get up in the attic. on the SHGP the attice is in August and w/ temps in the 100s possibly no way I aws getting up there then. I got a lot done and am raelly happy w/ my self. I have a box and bag of boys clothes to take to the nighbor to see if she can use any before it goes to good will. We had so many half packed boxes and boxes of stuff put up there to be delt w/ later I put 2 boxes at the bottom of the steps one for dontaions one for trash. and would sit and throw stuff down the steps. LOL Other stuff was better organized in the boxes, or went to the possible yard sale box. I still have more to go through but we'll see it's going to be cool again today. I am going to leave here, clean a bathroom then steam clean the carpet at the top of the steps. That is on my to do list for this SHGP week. That and then I have to clean out the linen closet also. I did that not too long ago so it shouldn't take more than one morning. Maybe tomorrow.

I may as well clean the steps while I am at it. It's just a mess lugging that big cleaner up and down the steps but it looks better after I do it.

Happy working :0)

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Go, Piratemama, Go Piratemama!

Annie

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
ha ha Annie, thanks for the cheer! I did the carpet and it's amazing how much dog hair I get in it. YUCK! It's a short hair dog and a dense carpet but ugg, but either way now it's nice and clean :)