May 2010 Rudy Day!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Okay folks - when our May Rudy Day hits we will be 7 months out from the big day! Have you made or reviewed your plan to get your goals accomplished? Even if you choose to do something fun like watch a movie or wear Christmas socks, are you accomplishing those goals?

May leads us into summer when many of us get busy. When summer ends, we land right into fall and as so many of us know, it's a fast ride down hill from there and Christmas is here before we know it.

Why don't we use May as an opportunity to evaluate where we are? Can we use the summer months for craft/gift projects? What do we hope to accomplish before fall begins. And, remember, we are all in this together and I think we all love to hear about what you are doing or hope to do!

Happy May Rudy Day!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Kim Loves Snow --- what a great post! And -- you must be feeling better --- to be able to look and plan ahead like this! That makes me very happy!

YES! When summer ends.... and the Holiday Grand Plan begins........... I really get overwhelmed.

As I have been reading over the regular HGP -- on the OrganizedChristmas.com site, I see HOW MUCH Christmas Prep there is!!! ESPECIALLY for people who are struggling to create their first Christmas Notebook. AND -- are struggling to go through the HGP for the first time! There is A LOT to do!

So.... I am going to try the Summer HGP. I figure that this will probably help me hold back the tide of chaos.... that usually comes in the summer. And.... there is a POSSIBILITY.... that I may actually be in pretty good shape in September. I did say... "a possibility".

There are threads about this Summer HGP under the "Christmas Plans" section of our Magical Holiday Home Board.

Even if you don't join in -- you can follow along, and learn about it. (And probably have a lot of very good laughs!)

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Gee the Rudy days seem to be coming around quickly. I find it quite scary that in just over 7 months we will be celebrating Christmas and a year full of planning will come to fruition.
For May Rudy day I think I will need to go through my gift closet and just double check how I am going. I think that I am doing OK but need to check.

Really need to decide soon what baking I will be doing so I must check through recipes and see what I can find. Will put on a Christmas CD and just have an enjoyable day.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
My Rudy Day movie for May is The Bishop's Wife - the original. I am really looking forward to it.

One of the things that I wanted to do each Rudy Day was to work on homemade Christmas cards. I haven't gotten any done, I am just too busy with other things. I was really feeling down about it and then I realized something. Why not wait until summer when it is so hot you don't want to be outside. Life seems to slow down then, so I will have plenty of time to make cards in my nice, cool basement.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Our May Rudolph Day (the "official day on the 25th of the month") -- is Tuesday -- on the week that leads into Memorial Day Weekend! Can you look ahead this month -- to the "official" Rudy Day? Will you be able to celebrate on that day? Or will you change your celebration?

At this point...... I don't know. I am doing A LOT for Christmas 2010 during May...... because I am doing the Summer HGP! (Cleaning, organizing, decluttering -- preparing the home for a peaceful Christmas 2010!) And I will be working on that EVERY day during May (hopefully!) But what about Rudy Day? I think that I would MOST enjoy some Christmas reading for my May Rudy Celebration. Just going to the air conditioned library -- and treating myself to a couple of uninterrupted hours of Christmas reading. Or -- even just reading about Christmas on the internet.

What about you?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Everyday I also am doing some form of Christmas planning. Whether or not it is de cluttering my home or doing actually Christmas related activities it all helps with the end result which is an organized, happy Christmas. I am really looking forward to May Rudy day and as the countdown continues it is more and more important that we use these days to get ahead.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I just bought 'you've got mail dvd' and for me that is a christmas movie so that might just be for May rudy day!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Mel - What a wonderful plan to work on your cards in the heat of the summer! Sometimes trying to focus on just one day of accomplishments can be overwhelming. Thinking about it in terms of a season seems just a bit easier. Good luck!

scn

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Northeast PA
this rudy day i would like to take my old christmas cards and recycle them
any I can cut a picture out or a verse that I can reuse to make my christmas cards
with money being tight saving on my ink would be good
I could put some christmas music on and start cutting Put then in a box so when i make my cards I have them ready
there is some that I will not cut up homemade ones i keep from certain people I have mine from the card swap a couple of years ago I enjoyed that so much Which I didn't have to cut it out

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Kim -- it is so wonderful to have you and your sweet messages back with us! We really missed you while you were sick!

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
This month I can hopefully get back on track. Last month we had some setbacks. My husband's job was cut due to budget cuts at the state level and then a health scare on top of it. VERY stressful! We received some great news on the results of some tests this afternoon. Thank you Jesus and the Blesed Mother. It certainly puts the job loss in perspective. Ready to get back to enjoying our life again and will continue to pray that he isn't out of work for too long.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
snickerdoodle,

I will be keeping good thoughts for your husband's employment situation.

Santa_Elf

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Wylie, TX (NE of Dallas)
What with my separation, packing, decluttering and the move I have not enjoyed a single Rudy Day this year and now you tell me there are only seven months to go - OH MY.

Like a couple of others, I think I might have to have a "May Rudy Day Month". I will need to work on several things just to feel like I am not going to drown. LOL.

I just posted on May Goals and now I might have to go and revise my goals to include my new RUDY MONTH. LOL

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I think that my goal will be to have supplies for any Christmas gift craft projects purchased and/or organized into "kits" by this Rudolph Day...

I am only going to do 2-3 simple crafts this year...between the new baby and being back to work I will have my hands full and don't want to get too agressive too soon.

But there are a couple of simple ideas I've been mulling over and I need to make some decisions and get the supplies on hand - then maybe I can take some time over Memorial Day weekend to actually knock a project or two out! :)

I've got my binder cleaned up from last year, new calendar pages printed and filled out. I've started thinking about menus, etc.

One thing I may also do this Rudy Day is test a new recipe that comes from one of my Cooking Light cookbooks but that is something I wouldn't typically make unless at the holidays.

A new cookie or cake recipe maybe. I'd like to at least make an attempt to "lighten" some of the fare we have around during the holidays.

We will always indulge in some things - but I think that we could improve on some of what we typically eat during Nov/Dec without sacrificing taste if I do a little "homework" ahead of time! :)

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Hi Aunt Jamelle! It's good to see you. Christmas will certainly be sweet for you this year! What a great idea to use this time to find some new ways to turn Christmas favorites into a more healthy version. I hope you'll share your findings!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I AGREE WITH BOTH OF YOU! I just read that 60% of American adults are either overweight or obese!!!! 60%!!!! AND -- a large percentage of children are too! EVEERYONE needs to enjoy delicious food - ESPECIALLY at the holidays! But -- we cannot ignore the fact that most of us are getting fatter and fatter and more and more unhealthy!!!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
My May Rudy Day goal is to give an absolutely wonderful "Christmas Open House" for my friends and neighbors! With decorations and wonderful food and drink! Of course..... I am going to give this party during May.... and it is going to be called a "Block Party" instead of a "Christmas Open House". But that is for A LOT of reasons! For one.... my house is too tiny to hold everyone.... even if I do my best to stagger arrival times! And two -- my husband really HATES to give parties -- ESPECIALLY parties with lots of guests! And -- with the Block Party -- the party is NOT in our house..... and dh can have absolutely NOTHING to do with the party.... except for attending the party, as a guest, if he chooses to attend.

So.... I am taking care of a very important part of Christmas fun FOR MYSELF this week. And this will be a big part of my May Rudy Day celebrations.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
SCN... i think that is a wonderful idea to recycle your old christmas cards. Every January we cut out the pictures from our Christmas cards and reuse them as gift tags. I have not had to buy many gift tags for the past few years. Not only does it cut down on waste but it does save some money which is particularly important.

I often think back to our childhoods when hardly anything was shop bought and most decorations, cards tags and wrapping paper was home made.

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
Unfortunately my DD10 was ill with a nasty sinus infection on April's Rudy Day so I plan to have a bit more of a festive May Rudy Day. But it's incredible to think we are nearly halfway through our Rudy Days!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Alisonmcg - I think that WE deserve and need our own "festive times" all during the year! WE are the ones who create Christmas Magic for our family and friends! We NEED to fill up our own reservoirs of holiday joy, throughout the year -- so that we have the energy to work hard to help create lots of Christmas Magic!

One thing that I am doing, FOR MYSELF, is -- using a Christmas Journal from May through August, this year. I am following the Summer HGP (and doing WORK to prepare my home for the winter holidays.) I am ALSO sprinkling in lots of Christmas Joy and Mini-Rudy Days -- for myself -- this summer! And I am writing it ALL down in my journal! So that when I feel overwhelmed and horribly behind -- or just plain tired -- I can look through the journal and remember everything that I HAVE DONE this summer!

Last edited: