May 9 - May 15 Porch/Entry Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
We are entering a new week in our Summer HGP. Design this week in the way that is most satisfying and helpful to you!!! I'll be back later to post.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Will you be working on the Front Porch/Entry this week? Or will do you a different area? (Or -- even take the week off! That is OK, you know. We each design our OWN plan to fit our own life! We just encourage each other!) For me -- I AM doing the Front Porch/Entry -- because I am cleaning up after yesterday's big Block Party!

Watering, watering and watering! The weatherman said today -- that we are down almost 4 inches from our normal rainfall. Combine that with the WARMEST May on record - so far! Combine that with thirsty new baby plants!!!! Yep -- lots of watering!!! I STILL have some plants that need to be put in the ground. I am trying hard to NOT get any new ones until I do plant the ones I have!!!

We had to get a new "runner" for our hallway. The old one was unravelling and catching peoples' feet -- so they almost fell! Bad stuff! The new one is red -- and lights up the entrance hallway! Who knew? Color is so powerful!!!!!

The Back Porch is NOT finished -- so I will work on that this week too. More watering (of containers) out there!!!

What about you? Are you IN this week?

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Sparklenana,
I am in for sure. I thought last week was the first week and was the week for the front porch. I am sure glad I have this week as I didn't get to it last week. However, I did make my list of what I wanted to do. Now I feel ahead unless there was something to do last week that I didn't know.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Doodlebug -- I think last week was for "planning". Now -- we all know that real life happens all the time -- and things change all the time. That said -- you may plan to go away for the 4th of July -- or have house guests for June or whatever! And -- you do NOT want to schedule heavy HGP for those weeks! So -- it was to sort of look at the HGP and make some tentative plans. Things are pretty flexible!

The Entry/Front Porch can be this week -- if it works for you! (And it seems that it WILL work - for you and me, anyway.)

Santa_Elf

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Wylie, TX (NE of Dallas)
This week I am tackling the front and back patio areas. I have a short list for the front area and a long list for my back patio area. Most everything is clean and I will mainly be decorating and putting my personal touches to these areas.

Front entrance -
1) buy a wreath for my front door.
2) buy a welcome mat - to help keep the dust our of the apartment
3) make 2 container gardens for each side of the front door

Back patio -
1) sweep down the cobwebs
2) clean my patio furniture
3) sweep
4) put out bird feeders
5) clean light fixtures
6) hang coke signs on back wall
7) buy and hang 3 ferns
8) attach a board to the botton of the gate so beau cannot get out
9) clean glass patio door
10) plant some container gardens
11) put down fresh mulch
12) hang window boxes.

not too much to do this time around. But the windows and such were really clean when I moved in.

Eddie

cipalla

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
PA
I will be doing the washroom area this week...
()clean/organize large pantry
()paint ceiling
()clean light fixture/replace light bulbs
()paint walls
()wipe down lower walls
()wash floor
()wash runners
()clean washer/dryer
(3)clean/organize 4 cabinets
()clean light switches
()clean 3 doors
()clean vents
()buy paint/paint trim for doors
(x)organize 5 baskets
(x)need any cleaners?? (detergent/softener/glass cleaner/wipes, etc)

Last edited:

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I need to sit down and make my list. We were working outside all weekend and DH got tomorrow off so we can finish more of what we started. We cleaned out 3 of the beds and mulched 2 of them. We ran out of mulch for the third and will have to put it off for another week. We also pulled out all the stepping stones and lava rocks from the walkway and we need to go get rocks tomorrow to fill it.

Here is a bare list
( ) planting 2 tomato plants in the pots
( ) planting 2 flower planters
( ) sweeping porch
( ) clean up porch
( ) spray off porch and spider webs
( ) spray for spiders
( ) sweep back deck

Entry:
( ) top of freezer
( ) back pack area

I still need to update my notebook and get this list in it. But it's a start. Glad it's not too much b/c I have a lot of inside work to do also

Last edited:

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Alright, I have to paint some in DS9's room but then I'll work some on the outside spaces. I don't expect to get everything done, but I'm thankful for a list to give some direction!

{}paint bedroom
{}paint kitchen ceiling
{}stain deck-depending on weather
{}take down eagle
{}paint behind eagle
{}replace eagle with other decoration
{}Paint? back step
{}stage back step
{}maybe window boxes
{} make list for wants and needs outside
{}clean BBQ

I'll start with that! Yikes!

Last edited:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Have you joined the Yahoo.com group of people following the Summer Holiday Grand Plan? They have a list of questions today -- to help us decide what to do this week. It was long...... so I saved it to read later. I'll share things that seem most important.

I have been straightening up the outside furniture..... and watering new plants, this morning. There is PLENTY to do outside! Luckily the entry is small -- with just the "coat closet" to deal with. The rest of the entry is organized, decorated and recently cleaned.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I'm in!

My list:
Front Porch:
* Buy new flowers for front stoop
* Sweep or shop vac front steps (they are carpeted)
* New porch light

Back Porch:
* Get rid of dead flowers
* Get rid of any pots that I am not using (feecycle)
* Sweep porch

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
We spent all of today doing the front and it looks amazing. So much better. Tomorrow when it's dry from the washing I will spray for spiders. Then some basic sprusing up in the back porch/decks.

When I looked at the calendar I made a few adjustments to my to do list. The door we use most is the laundry room and since there is a week for that and the foryer (which we don't really have either) For the entry area I will do deal w/ the top of the freezer and back pack/coat area for now and do the more detailed version when that week comes up.

Hope every one's plans are coming along nicely.

supermom315

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Deptford, NJ
I'm in for this week!

I don't have an entry/foyer so I'm working on the outside of the house.....

Cleaning up the bushes & vines that have gotten totally out of control

Planting veggies & flowers (yes I'm late for this)

HAGN
Tina

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have finished my front porch and it looks good. It did not take me as long as I thought it would. It helped that I had a plan to stick to and I knew exactly what needed to be done.
Next on the list is the living room so with the rest of my week I will plan what needs to be done in there.

I am so excited about this plan.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Here it is Tuesday, May 11th! And we are on our Front Porch/Entry week. And -- today I did NOTHING for Front Porch/entry week. I did lots of other stuff -- real life happened! Perhaps tomorrow...... I don't know.

I do know that it is GREAT being on this thread. And it is GREAT being in the Summer Holiday Grand Plan! Even if - what we do on any given day - or week - is NOT specifically part of the Plan.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Did real life get in the way today SN. That is the beauty of this plan. You always have tomorrow to work on your goals, and if real life gets in the way you have plenty of time to make things happen.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Great idea, scifi! And good job finishing your Front Porch/Entry!!! It is a nice day here -- so I am breaking up the "inside work" with periods of "outside work". Front Porch/Entry -- I'm coming after you!!!! (Still working on the Back Porch (which is not even an "official week".)

Sweetpumpkinpye -- you are so right about our HGP Summer allowing plenty of room for "real life" to happen! Why..... last year..... I didn't even know that the Summer HGP even existed! I think that we are going to be in MUCH better shape going in to the regular HGP in September! (Not to mention much happier this summer! SATISFACTION FROM BABY STEP ACCOMPLISHMENTS!)

Supermom315 - it is lovely to be working on the outside this week! Good for you!
Hi piratemomof3boys and AnnieClaus! this is really nice isn't it? Us working together!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
This plan is nice b/c it can be flexable. I looked and there is one "free" week and then there are 2 weeks that doesn't really apply to me so as real life happens, as SN says, and I know it will in the summer we can adjust.

My house is a mess but I want to sneek in the back porch in b/n other rooms in the house. That should be pretty quick.

supermom315

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Deptford, NJ
The weather is finally cooperating with me this week..... no rain until tonight & it's supposed to be 68 F !!!!!!! I'm hoping to prep the beds for my seedlings and maybe a little edging around the front yard.

HAGD
Tina

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I got the one of baskets that hang on the deck railing done the other lost a screw it needs for the adjustabble part so I need to fix that then plant it. I have the plants. I also sprayed the back for spiders and did what I wanted in the entry area so I feel good about what we did this week and am ready for next week