May Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I am really getting going in the declutter realm in May!

I am not starting a new book, TV shows are winding up, and I feel motivated to go through every nook and cranny and get rid of things and deep clean.

Today I will figure out a schedule to follow.

Anyone else have decluttering plans for May?

Annie

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Yep, I'm on board too! with my spring cleaning coming along, the declutter will have to get done... I've written down some 'hot spots' that need to be done

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I really need too but I'm working so much. I think I'm going to take a week off in June to try to do some deep cleaning. We'll see if I can swing it.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I am really getting going in the declutter realm in May!

I am not starting a new book, TV shows are winding up, and I feel motivated to go through every nook and cranny and get rid of things and deep clean.

Today I will figure out a schedule to follow.

Anyone else have decluttering plans for May?

Annie

Yaaayyy Annie.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Great job Luludou.

Kim hopefully you'll get a chance to get some decluttering in.

My childhood best friend wants me to help her declutter. I don't mind helping her but she doesn't sit still long enough.

As for me, I'm still waiting for the rental office to let me know when my bathroom renovation will get started. I will have to find somewhere to live for at least 3 days when they do start. lol

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I usually get "the bug" during May because school comes to an end. I have one week before we take the youth to camp and I always want to come home to a clean house. Hopefully, I can get some things done during May.

As SN would say, "Baby steps." Anything is better than nothing, right?

Good luck, everyone.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I'm with you Annie.

I told DH that I was decluttering the whole house from the top down. I've already emptied one bookcase that can now go to a new home. I also have a bag of clothing to donate. Now I'm going through my holiday gift stash - actually making a list and perhaps assigning specific stuff to specific people on my list. I might not have to shop at all - now that would be sad, wouldn't it:)

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I took a few days off to get organized at home. I've gotten rid of several things, but mostly I'm putting things away and back where they go. I did fill one bag so far to take to goodwill. Mostly out of my craft closet.

Little Elf

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I'm going to be doing alot of decluttering this month and possibly next, depending on how quickly I can do it. I'm going from a large bedroom to a bedroom that is much smaller as my two daughters need the larger room than just me so not only will I be doing some decluttering in my room but all the kids rooms. So far I got rid of two garbage bags full of clothes and toys that the kids don't use or outgrown. I'm going to have to get rid of my queen size bed and downsize to a twin just so I can fit it in the room. I'll be working online to find different ideas to downsize and decorate for a very small bedroom.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I would say that the May Decluttering Club...... is off to a VERY good start! Just reading the posts... is inspiring! Such good energy here!!!!

Little Elf... you have a really big and exciting challenge: to rearrange the bedrooms... decluttering everything as you go!!!! PLEASE keep us posted.... not only on your actions.... but also on your thoughts too! It sounds like a very positive situation.... for everyone involved!!!

MinnieCo... putting things BACK where they go.... IS a big part of decluttering. Mentally... we're thinking whether or not we need it, too...... before we put it back! Lol.

Halimer... what inspired you to do the BIG decluttering? Was it "living with less"... in the Florida condo and in the RV? I find that "living with less"... really helps me revise my ideas of "what I need".

Missjane... coming back to a "clean house" is a WONDERFUL reward. (Since I was sick before this last trip... I came back to a REALLY messy house! BUMMER! Now I am inspired to "get with it"!!!!

Aggy.... how about staying with your childhood friend.. for the three days that you have to "vacate the premises"? Some time for decluttering together... and some time for "girlfriend time".

Kim Loves Snow and luludou... you two are very good about decluttering.... it's just that you both work so hard AND you both have lots and lots of "family stuff"!!!

AnnieClaus... you have a GREAT attitude!!!! You make us all feel that.... we CAN do it!!!!

Back from our work trip.... and the temperature is in the high 80's already! It looks like it is almost too hot to plant.... already! Well..... less time working outside..... means more time AVAILABLE to work inside...... IF I can keep a positive attitude!!!!

Little Elf

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Yes, it is a big challenge and I bristle when it comes to change of any kind but this is something that is needed. The girls are getting bigger and two beds will fit better in my room. I moved their belongings that they have on the top shelf of their closets and switched them around to their soon to be new room. These items are rarely used so it won't be a problem about them always wanting to get at them. Then I'll go through their clothes for the summer season and give away more clothes they don't need/wear/don't fit. Now I know for me it will be a little harder so when I go through my clothes I will probably have to go through them more than once as we know how hard it is to let go. I've already done it once, and will continue to do this till I am satisfied that I've pared it down enough.
Then tackle the toys...asking each one to go through them...this will be hard for them to let go of ANY of their toys...again I will have to go through it a couple times with them then give those away. I think those two things in itself will take a little while to complete. LOL!
Their dad said when he isn't working he will help move the big furniture and dismantle and put back together anything that needs to be done, which is good cuz it will take alot longer than if I was to do it to myself.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I'm on the declutter bandwagon this month as well! :) I am bringing things to a friend's neighborhood garage sale in a couple of weeks and it has been a great motivator to identify and pull out items we don't need!

Tons of baby clothes, toys, DH clothes he doesn't want anymore, books I'll never read again, etc. Some shelves, TV stands that have been in storage forrrreevvvver...

I should have at least 1.5 car loads to try and sell. Whatever doesn't go in the sale will be driven directly to Goodwill for drop off afterwards! :)

Still wading through everything, trying to get prices and sizes marked. But the laundry part is done!

I also need to go through DS's toys upstairs and pull out some of the things he has really outgrown...

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
If there is something the kids so not want to get rid of will they settle for a photo of it instead of the item. Remember small items can be put into a wreath or shadow box that can hang on the wall.

To cut down on paper they have drawn on, tape them on the wall, stand the artist next to them and snap a photo. Now they have the memories of their art work and a photo of the artist about when they created it. Now send the art work to relatives that do not live near by.

I'm decluttering coffee pots today. Taking several to the thrift store since we now have a new one.

Happy Decluttering.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
May 7th... Monday! And the beat goes on!!!!!

AuntJamelle... a yard sale is a blessing to families that are trying to take good care of their children without much money (which is most of us!!!!!) And taking the extras to Goodwill immediately afterwards... is the best idea!!!
Ahorsesoul... you shared some excellent ideas here!!!!!
LitleElf... having help with the heavy furniture would be wonderful!!!!!

When I got home from the recent trip.... I saw how much room is taken up.... in the bottom of my dresser drawers.... by miscellaneous sentimental items that I am saving! It would be really nice.... to have only clothes that I actually wear.... in those drawers!

By the way..... the Summer Holiday Grand Plan begins this week. The Plan is a GREAT incentive to declutter, clean and organize!!!!!! THi first week is devoted to "outside" stuff... which takes advantage of the last of the spring weather. (Well.... hopefully not the "last" of the spring weather.... but things do seem to be warming up pretty fast!!!!!)

CraftyLady

Retire Member
Apr 4, 2011
It sounds like everyone is off to a great start in May! It's so inspiring. I have a small bag of clothes ready to donate and a box started with more kitchen stuff. I decided to declutter my Christmas dishes (except 2 snowman mugs) and I'll just use the China if the need comes up. Otherwise, the China never gets used so why have it? Also over the weekend, Hubby decided he wanted to flip his garage sides (work bench, air compressor, Jeep hard top to other side and motorcycle to other side) because he thought it would be easier to get the motorcycle out without having to back out a car. We filled a recycle bin and a trash can of stuff from in there. We just have a couple more sections of his garage to clean out now. I think I might check out the Summer Holiday Grand Plan this year. Technically, I just finished Spring cleaning all our rooms, but maybe it will help find more places to declutter. I noticed a big difference during Spring cleaning this year as to how quickly the rooms were done because of so much less clutter. Keep up the good work everyone!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Excellent point Craftylady. Less clutter equals more me time.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Ahorsesoul those are great ideas. I need to share them with a couple of my girlfriends.

CraftyLady I totally agree with you about getting the rooms cleaned faster now that I have decluttered every room. I love it. I just hope I can keep the rooms decluttered.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Checking in with everyone!

Relay for Life (I'm a Team Captain) is two days away.

After that, my schedule REALLY opens up- SO EXCITED!!!

I'm with you, halimer- Top to Bottom- Nooks, Crannies, everything!

My schedule I set up to Declutter/Deep Clean/Organize is:

Tues, Th: 2 hours- This is my No tech night and perfect for me.
Sat, Sun: 4 hours

Annie

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Friday, May 11th. Nope. No decluttering done lately. On the PLUS side..... I have NOT brought anything INTO the house. (OK... mail. I don't bring it in.... it slides in through the mail slot in the front door.) (OK.... groceries. But NOT too many of them. Just enough to keep us cheerfully eating!) (OK,,, newspapers. But we have gotten really good about gathering them up and putting them into recycling.... every day or two.)

AnnieClaus... when your schedule opens up after the Relay.... PLEASE do lots of posting about your decluttering! It helps the rest of us to read about progress!!!

You too, halimer! We need you to post too... more inspiration needed!
CraftyLady... you ae getting A LOT done!!! You go girl!!!!

Sending hugs to aggy and Ahorsesoul!!!