Memorial Day Weekend!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
No plans. I've always been the person who makes all the arrangements which translates to I do all the work. With my dd here I just don't have the extra energy needed for making the plans and doing the work.

I asked dh and ds to make arragements to go out to dinner at Easter. Didn't happen. So I'm sure nothing will be done for Memorial day. DH will just see it as an open weekend for him to golf.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Ahorsesoul, I am praying that nobody comes up with plans involving me for Memorial Day Weekend! The vision of all that long weekend time to work on Christmas - a Rudy Day Weekend - seems so beautiful to me!!!!

Of course, I am hanging on Gingerbugs' vision of Christmas in July too!!! That will be a beautiful month for all of us to work and plan together! But just think how great it would be to have some unhurried time over Memorial Day Weekend! Why -- I could print out some forms from 2008 OC instead of just having those unused forms from the year 2006 in my Christmas notebook!!
:sleigh:

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
I talked to DH last night and told him lets not plan anything except to work on the bathroom- he started a weekend project on Labor Day weekend and I have not been able to take a shower since- just baths and can't get walls wet :slap:

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
Memorial weekend falls around DH's birthday, so we'll be enjoying one long celebration. That usually entails relaxation and good food. DH is easy to please. :flower:

Twinkle, I hope you get your showers back soon! :grouphug:

jingle-jo

Retire Member
Feb 13, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
We don't celebrate memorial day here in the UK. When does it actually fall, and what is the reason for it? I love hearing about the holidays which are celebrated in other countries. I think I have finally got my head around thanks giving at last! We had the May day bank holiday weekend last week! Spent may day watching my DD8 maypole dancing at a local village fayre!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I always wished we did May Pole celebrations here. I know some places do but never any place I've lived.

Here is some history on Memorial Day. Everyone can celebrate. Every country has people that have fought in wars.
http://www.usmemorialday.org/backgrnd.html

charliebrownxmas

Retire Member
Jan 6, 2008
I am looking forward to just relaxing! I want to go through all of holiday magazines and get rid of some and organize them a bit. Other than that, sleep will be the main activity of the weekend.
:bigsnow:

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
On the Sat. a.m. I will work. That night we have a double graduation party for 2 sisters from college.
But I am really hoping that nobody decides to do anything the other 2 days. I hope to work around here either outside or preferably on my stuff. Sounds alittle self centered----huh?!?

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
We will be heading out to our camp for the weekend. I hope to get there early evening on Friday and stay until Monday evening. It will be our first long weekend of the season! Can't wait!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I have two outdoor events to go to. A friend of mine is having a big birthday party at a park to celebrate her twin girls first birthday.

Then later on I will go to my best friend's house. Her husband (She made it clear to everyone that it's her husband and not her - LOL) is having a big Memorial Day cookout.

Early Monday morning I'm going to drive near Annapolis, Maryland to the veteran's cemetery to lay down flowers at my grandfather's grave site. He was a WWII vet and passed away back in 1981. We were really close and I truly miss him. Every time I think of him I cry. While there I watch the small program that they will have.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
DS will be 8 on May 20, but since they are still in school and that's a week night, we are having a combination birthday party/Memorial Day party on Saturday. Then I plan to kick back the rest of the weekend. DH will most likely work on Monday, so I plan to work on some Christmas projects. I have several things I want to do. Since the house and yard will be clean for the party, I should be able to enjoy it.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Well in addition to my previous post, I agreed to work on Memorial Day at my parttime job. I don't have to be there til 4pm and should only be there for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours, which shouldn't be too bad. Plus I get paid time and a half for coming in and I get paid for four hours.

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
We're having a birthday party for DD5. She's been waiting for a few weeks now because we've had to postpone with one thing and another. I hope I can make it worth the wait for her - and that it doesn't rain!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Have you started celebrating Memorial Day Weekend?

Have you ever heard the phrase "Celebrate The Moment" ? I am so happy about Memorial Day Weekend!!!! The main reason is that I am going to celebrate Rudy Day during the weekend!

But also - I am happy about summer and I am happy that we do have a Memorial Day holiday in America. I love the informality and spontaniety of summer! I love the "opening day" of summer - Memorial Day Weekend. (Even when it is cold and raining, or tornados as in the midwest, or fires as in California! I think about our entire country during Memorial Day Weekend. I know that when any family sends a beloved person into the military, it is a huge sacrifice for the family. And I know that military people are sometimes injured, and sometimes killed. And I know that the family is changed forever by that.

Certainly, these things are true for every family around the world in times of war. But at holiday time, we celebrate our own family and/or our own country. That does not exclude the rest of the world. It is just how we human beings think, and love.

So I wish you a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend, however you live it. "heartstrings:

MerryHOHOHO

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
Maryland
SparkleNana, that is an awesome way to think about it.
Here, it going to be a beautiful weekend. Sunny and warm, 75 and up. So Im looking forward to yard sales in the morning, then to a birthday party tomorrow. Picnic at a local park on Sunday and Monday to have the day to just sit in the hammock and read and drink iced tea.
It is great that its the official start to summer, and on the news they show our beaches in Maryland and how everyone is out laying in the sun and having a blast.

But I did put out my flags and Im proud of my country and to those who have served.

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
SparkleNana~I like your thinking!

We're beginning our celebration of Memorial Day today by heading over to camp. We're having family visits over the next 2 days. The rain has finally cleared and the weather is becoming more seasonal...sunshine and the 70's. Our boat is out of commission, but we'll have loads of fun chatting, eating, playing games and just "being".

Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend!
God Bless America!

Lisa

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Just inside to rest from decorating for our Memorial Day Weekend Neighborhood Party! Red, white and blue helium balloons tied to fences, street signs, light poles, etc. Red, white and blue streamers wrapped around things. Glasses of water with red roses cut off big bushes - with ten cent paper American flags stuck in the bunches of flowers. A lit candle, in a hurricane lamp, with a note to remember that we celebrate Memorial Day to honor those who have given their lives for our country, and those who have been injured and sacrificed during military service.

Lots of neighborhood children were hanging around outside, waiting to help decorate!!! And they did help. The balloons make everyone smile as they walk by.

At 4:00, I will go outside and put tables in the middle of the street with signs saying the street is closed to traffic. (It is a very quiet, out-of-traffic short street!)

Then inside for a shower and a rest. The back out with drinks and food and paper cups and plates. :flower: