mental/physical notes of gift recievers comments

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasCheerSpredr

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
owosso michigan
Does anyone do this? When we have our family Christmas parties- I listen to comments and conversations I am having with those I buy gifts for to get clues for what they would like for next year.

for instance, my cousin likes micro brews, dh goes by one every day for work, so next year with his gift of homemade chili and jam (hes a bachelor) I plan to have dh stop and get him several different microbrews to put with his gift. I got the idea by him chatting with dh about different micro brews and what not about beer.

Does anyone else do this? I usually put these kind of ideas in my spreadsheet for next years Christmas.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
I try to. My problem is, I hear or notice things, and think "Ooh, good gift idea", but never write it down! And with my scattered brain, I never remember when the time comes. :slap:

jkbb2

Retire Member
Oct 17, 2007
I do this and then make notes in my Christmas notebook on next year's gift list pages--since I start shopping for next Christmas the day after this Christmas the sheets are already in place in my Christmas notebook and it is easy to jot it down and then keep my eyes open during the year.

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
I make mental notes until I get home. I listen as gifts are being opened. Then I will write them down. I use the day after Christmas when we go shopping to hear ideas. I already have several for next year. I discovered that one sister likes coffee store gift cards to get non coffee drinks. :jumpinghearts:

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
I do this too!

And I always TRY to make note of them somewhere more reliable than my head!

It is amazing how people give you clues without knowing it. It can be really helpful if you just pay attention!

pixiestick

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
I also listen to comments that others make as gifts are opened. If they comment that they'd love to have this item or that item, I'll try to remember to jot it down. I'm also trying to be better at noting decor/colors in houses of friends and family I visit. Then if I'm out shopping and notice that the outlet store has a fun serving dish or accent piece in some one's Pfaltsgraff pattern, I can pick it up for them.

When my DB and SIL were visiting this spring, they apparently made notes of old movies we talked about. Then, this Christmas, they sent us some DVD's of old Fred McMurray movies we'd commented on! What fun to see that they'd remembered.

Pippi

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Tall Corn state
Count me in with Holiday Joy....I try to be observant of home decor,
what colors & styles of clothing one seems to prefer, along w/sizes,
and just actually listen when someone is talking, picking up clues here & there.

Pippi

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
I have a gift idea page in my 1/2 notebook I always have with me that I list ideas- I even add wish list for my family because I think of things I would like but when I am asked I sometimes draw a blank.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I do this too! I write them in my Christmas notebook. I remember one January someone commenting on how they'd always wanted this certain type of teapot and as soon as we got in the car I wrote it down in my "Ideas" notebook I keep in my purse. My husband just rolls his eyes. He can't believe I think about Christmas in January.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Good idea. In our family everyone tells everyone what they want. I got requests on Christmas eve on what each person wanted for next year. So that helped me alot. I also told my brothers what I want for next year. The thing is that they will benefit from what I want because all I want is gift certificates to Joannes and AC Moorej.