Menu Planning

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
There has been much discussion about menu planning. Please share your ideas/tips, menus here!

Annie

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
For me, I've noticed that I don't do well with the each day of the week menu planning.

Such as: Monday I'm having this for dinner, Tuesday this

What works for me is to get certain dinners and then keep a list of those dinners on the fridge. Then I can pick from that list what I want to make that night.

My list looks like this:

Dinners

* baked salmon, corn on the cob, pasta side dish

* Spaghetti with clam sauce, salad

* Ham steak, sweet potato, veggie

* Chicken ceasear salad

Where I do think the day to day menu planning would work is with breakfasts and lunches. I get stuck a lot at work with nothing on hand and nothing planned.

Annie

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Since we just moved this past weekend I have alot of perfecting to do because this week hasn't been very good. I've made several trips to the store for items (some non-grocery) which is to be expected when first moving. My goal is to only shop once a week.

We are now about 30 minutes from any grocery store. There is nothing in the town we live in. My plan is to do a week at a time plus have items on hand to whip up certain quick meals if I don't feel like cooking a regular meal, the day gets away from me, or we just don't feel like having what was planned. I also have to be prepared to keep essentials stocked and remember to replenish before something runs out.

I can't wait to see what others come up with.

As far as menus, i'm always interested in seeing what others eat! We have spaghetti w/meatballs alot and tacos are one of the kids favorites. Grilling in the summer is popular and we do steak every week or two with corn on the cob and potatoes. I need more ideas though because i'm tired of having the same things all the time.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
The way I WANT to do it and the way I am currently doing it are two very different things.

Right now I am sitting down by myself and coming up with dinners for two weeks.

What I want to do is color code entree, veggie side, starch side and then have the kids help me put together a balanced meal plan (one yellow-entree, two green-veggie, one red-starch). Then in my fantasy world, we'd have a big cute cork board with the days of the week on it and I would tack the dinner menu under the appropriate day.

One of the other things that I did was to make a master grocery list for my go to items so at a quick glance I know what I need and can add it to the list if necessary.

We'll see.

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
I try to plan menus for at least one week at a time. Sometimes life gets in the way and I just get a few days done at a time. One thing that is essential to my menu planning is making a detailed shopping list. I can not shop without a list, just doesn't work out well. I have started using an online list, ziplist.com. I have an app on my iPhone that accesses it when I am at the grocery store, so I don't need to worry about forgetting the list at home because I'm never without my phone. You can also print or email the list too.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
OK i am totally new to this. Thanks to both of you I am wanted to try this. That said summers will be a bit chaotic so having some back up plans will be helpful. I don't bother w/ breakfast b/c the boys like cereal and I have pancake mix and canned cinnamon rolls on hand plus french toast. Same for lunches. We don't have a sit down lunch so it's find what you want and eat it. A while ago I found a pad of grocery check list. I have it on a clip board hanging in my closet. It has basics on it and places for me to fill in the blank. Any time we run out of something I immediately put it on the list.

I sat down and asked the boys what they liked that I cooked, stuff I know they like and some new ideas then picked out 10 for meals for 2 weeks. I don't cook often on the wknds and if I do need a meal thers is a good chance one day during the week I didn't cook. I also am thinking of being sure I have items for the 10 meeal and will cook one according to what my mood it or our schedule, plus somtimes we just want to pick up a pizza or chicken but I don't want to schedule that in. If I don't cook it, it will simply move onto the nxt schedule b/c I will have the stuff still. I want to find some crock pot stuff for days we are at the park so we have a cooked meal watiting at home. Plust keep basics like frozen chicken nuggets/patties, hamburgers and hotdogs.

Here are the 10 meal I have picked out for the next 2 weeks. Now to shop for it:
Pretzel chicken, noodles and broccoli
Roma burgers and spaghetti
pork w/ corn and rice
tacos
chicken patty sandwich w/ fries
Slower Cooker lasagna
mexican casserole
pork w/ some side
ranch chicken w/ noodles and broccoli
breakfast pizza

thanks for posting this Lisa I like getting insight from those that have done this before.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
What great ideas you all have! Although I make a calendar menu, we don't always follow it exactly. I almost always have pasta on Sunday because that is a Sunday tradition, but life happens and things don't always work out.

I think the key is to shop ahead, have the things on hand, have a well-stocked pantry and have a general plan. I've been menu planning for 15 years and can't imagine not doing it. It's also great when I work because I can glance at the menu on the fridge the night before, take out what is needed and it will be defrosted by the time I get home. Since I soon will not live 2 minutes from a grocery store, I really need to make sure our new pantry is well stocked.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Okay. I have a really dumb question. Lisa, you mentioned that you take out the meat or whatever to thaw the night before. My dumb question is where do you thaw it? I'm afraid to leave on the counter because I am such a germ-a-phob that I think it will go bad. I've left it in the fridge and it does not defrost. Help!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I thaw it in the fridge, usually on a top shelf because the middle of my fridge is much colder for some reason. I usually end up finishing up the defrost in the microwave.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Another tip that I've heard-

Use the circular that comes out in the paper (here it is on Weds). This will show what cuts of meat are on sale. Then, you can menu plan around that.

The cool part- you can access the circular online! I saw my co-worker do this!
When we were planning a company wide BBQ, we looked up the circulars to see which store had specials on sodas, hot dogs, condiments, etc.

Kim- For defrosting, I give stuff 2 days in the fridge. If it's a Monday, I'll think about Weds. dinner and if it's something that needs to come out of the freezer, I'll pull it out then.

Annie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Years ago (in the dark ages) Hunts had a commercial about using their product for your Wednesday meal. I use to have Mondays as Mexican night, Wednesday of course was pasta night, Saturday was sandwich night, a pizza night and one night was Chinese night. I also had items in the pantry and freezer to make some recipe for each night. Was really easy to cook.

When the kids were young and I was working full time and selling Mary Kay in my free time between girl scouts and boy scouts, I had three months of menus made up. I would just rotate them all year long. It took awhile to make them up but once done I found it was well worth the time.

Now I subscribe to savingdinners. Love that I get my menu plus a premade shopping list. I've fallen off the wagon using them right now. I'll start again after vacation.
Day 1: Lemon-Pistachio Chicken, add baked Hubbard squash and steamed green beans
Day 2: Skillet Chop Suey, with steamed broccoli and Cauli-Rice
Day 3: Grilled Peaches and Pork, add sliced cucumbers
Day 4: Sweet and Sour Grilled Salmon, with steamed asparagus and a big green salad
Day 5: Skillet Turkey Parmesan, add spaghetti squash and a big spinach salad
Day 6: Crock Chicken Provencal, with steamed broccoli and Faux-Tay-Toes

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
In terms of general, everyday planning (as opposed to planning for T-Giving or Christmas, say), I try to look at the diary for the week ahead and take account of what days DH will be late, any days I may not be around (DH can and does cook well, but after work he needs simple dinners for he and DD), and any days that all 3 of us may get to eat together (often, DH and I may eat together once DD is in bed, as he is usually in later in the evening - sometimes it may be that DD and I eat together and DH needs something seperate).

I check the freezer and fridge for things that need to be used, and a general storecupboard glance. Bearing in mind if I am trying to run down stocks ready to do a big "stocking up" grocery shop shortly, or need space for fruit/veg gluts, or have a busy few weeks ahead where I need every easy dinner I can in the freezer.

I tend to plan a family roast dinner on Sundays, a "date night" dinner for 2 on Saturdays, a "cook the day before and reheat" dinner for Mondays (helps start the week), and usually have another Monday dinner from the freezer on Wed/Thurs (I always do a double batch of something on Sundays, when I am relaxing by cooking anyway). Fri I try to plan as an easy peasy meal, or it will end up as a takeaway night.

We are not far from grocery stores, but it is hassle to go mid-week. So I also aim to only need to go once a week. I do up a rough menuplan for the week, and write my grocery list based on that. (By having it that way, I can change things if I spot good deals or "whoopsied" items).

The other part of my shopping list, apart from perishables that aer needed for the week or specific items for dishes that I am out of, is the list from the front of the fridge. On this, anyone who finishes something has to write it up - so if DH finishes the butter, I know to get more, or I might finish the mayonnaise, which DH then knows if HE does the shopping. We try to write things up BEFORE things get finished, but that doesn't always work. And this also covers cleaning and bathroom supplies which we get at the supermarket, or things like batteries or other things that we need to get from other stores. It's useful.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Wow! I am in awe of you ladies! I hate to cook (but LOVE to bake - go figure!) Part of my problem is that I can never decide what to make for sides/starch to make a complete meal. I don't know why this is so difficult for me. You have convinced me that menu planning is the answer....now, I just need to follow through! ;)

For those of you with small children, do you make two plans? My 1yo eats limited table food and the almost 5yo is at that "picky stage". They both love veggies, but everything else is a struggle. Neither likes a lot of meat.

TIA!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
2nd week I've restarted menu planning. It sure helps alot! Now if I can only maintain it. and it helps pass what we have in the freezer.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Ok, I've been trying to figure out an easy way for me to menu-plan.

I wrote down our most used & liked recipes by category.... beef, chicken, porc, quick-fixes, crockpot, etc...

I've been trying to think of a way to put the 5 we choose for the week (there is always place for new recipes to be tried) on the fridge.

Think I got it. I'll get magnetic sheets at the dollar store & glue the name of a meal on small rectangles. Than I can put the 5 rectangles up on the fridge and keep the rest in a small box.

Example: 1 rectangle says 'Sheppard's pie', 1 says 'Chicken & rice casserole', etc.... and that way the kids can have their pick too.

What do you think? At first I thought of plastic pockets and putting a cut-up index card in with the meal of the day but can't find anything I like with the plastic pockets.

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
I have also a dumb question: some of you wrote that you go for grocery shopping only once a week. How do you manage "fresh food" as veggies, fruits, meat, bread, etc which can't be stored for a whole week?
Ok, meat can be stored in a freezer, but eg bread doesn't taste very well anymore after 3 days. And I have to say that I don't like to freeze uncooked, fresh meat as I am afraid of any germs which may grow while unfreezing.

Chilli (also a "germ-a-phob")

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Wow, luludou- that is a cool idea- Yours and the bloggers!

I was going to suggest a simple white board with erasable (dry erase) markers. Then you're not gluing, putting magnets, etc. You're only writing and erasing. These come in all sizes (I'm sure even ones made for the fridge) and the markers in all colors.

I thought about using one to write what fruits and veggies I have in the fridge- they tend to get lost in there.

chili- I freeze meat all the time. I have never had a problem. (And noone has gotten sick off my food). I simply pull out whatever meat is in the freezer two days before I'm going to use it and let it defrost in the fridge.

I know teachermomof2 shops once every 2 weeks with a quick run between weeks for fresh items such as veggies, fruits, bread, milk, etc.

I strive to only go to the store once every 2 weeks! Teachermomof2 is my inspiration!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Lucie~that is a really neat idea on that blog. I like to mix things up a bit and try new things, but that being said we always have an Italian, other ethnic meal, chicken, and pork each week. This summer, I've made Thursdays sandwich nights. It's a great break for me and good in this heat!

Annie~I'm so tickled that I've inspired you in the menu and shopping arena! :0)