Movie basket for my mother

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I was looking on Amazon and debating whether or not to buy my mother Easter Parade for Easter. I started thinking about how she always complains about how there is never anything good on tv anymore and they don't make movies like they used to. I was thinking that maybe for Christmas thing year I would try to make her a movie basket (or maybe fill a small DVD rack) of classic, feel-good movies of days gone by. Does anyone have any suggestions for the various holidays? This is what I've come up with so far. I'm trying to stick with old, mostly uplifting movies.

Here's what I've been thinking of so far:

Generic Winter: The Sound of Music

Valentines Day: Roman Holiday, Sabrina

Saint Patrick's Day:

Easter: Easter Parade,
The Ten Commandments- thanks creativemom

Generic Spring/ Summer: The Philadelphia Story, My Fair Lady, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington - thanks gllatshaw (We live in Canada so I put this in `Summer`)

Thanksgiving:

Halloween: Arsenic and Old Lace,
Gaslight - thanks gllatshaw

Christmas: It's a Wonderful Life, Meet John Doe, Miracle on 34th Street, White Christmas, Holiday Inn -thanks creativemom (I realize you said this covers lots of holidays, but put it with Christmas for now, as I haven`t seen it yet)

gllatshaw

Retire Member
Jan 13, 2008
Florence, South Carolina
For Halloween, how about Gaslight with Angela Lansbury and Ingrid Bergmen(sp)? Its a black and white, so you can't be distracted by the scenery. You really see the great acting that's taking place. Give me some time, I may come up with more, I LOVE old movies.

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
The Holiday Inn is great covers an holidays you may not have thought of. Moses with Charleton Heston is classic.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
St. Patty's .... how about Darby O'Gill and the Little People? I think it's Disney. Even Thomasina ... takes place in like Ireland or Scotland or something close. :)
:shamrock:

crazymo

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
Little Falls, Mn
For Valentines day, Three Coins in the Fountain. Cute romantic old movie set in Rome. Of course if you have a collection of old movies you have to have Gone With the Wind and Casablanca.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Oh, this is fun. I never really thought about Thanksgiving Movies. We do watch the old Miracle on 34th Street on Friday, the day after.
:rudolph:

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Wow, thanks everyone! So many movies I wouldn't have thought of!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
At the dollarstore yesterday I picked up a DVD with three movies on it:
1, Til the Clouds Roll By -with Frank Sinatra
2. Pot O'Gold - with James Stewart
3. His Girl Friday - with Cary Grant

At 33 cents a movie, I don't see how you could go wrong with those names. Plus, I was thinking Pot O'Gold sounds like a good St. Patrick's day movie.
:lucky: