multiple recipe notebooks

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
I have been working on multiple notebooks. I have one that is recipes I rip out of magazines I have or download from the computer. Another one is scrapbooked with photos they are recipes that are HUGE favorites in our house AND recipes I've created or altered. For Christmas my Mom decoupaged a book for me and handwrote in some of her recipes so that one now also holds hand written recipes from family and friends! I read cookbooks and recipes like they are a regular book. Gotta love it! What kind of recipe books do you have?

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Right now I just have a binder that my mom made for me several Christmases ago. This year I plan to organize all the ones i've added to it and either make another binder or make a bigger binder to fit them all. I'm thinking about scrapping some as well.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
I have 2 notebooks/binders I use for the recipes I refer to most. One is entrees and the other is everything else - sides, appetizers, desserts, etc. Right now I have my holiday type recipes in there too, but I'm thinking of creating a separate one for those. I rarly hang on to a cookbook unless it has a lot of recipes we like. If I only find a handful that I will truly use regualrly, I type them up, put them in my binder, and give the cookbook away.

I'd love to have something handwritten from my mom and aunts. What a treasure! I might have to hint (loudly).

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Here are the recipe notebooks I use currently:

1. Recipes to Try: Into this notebook goes all the recipes I tear from mags, print off the computer, scribble on notepaper or that others write out for me to try, THEN as I try one....it either gets pitched...if we don't care for it...or transferred to one of the other notebooks...

2. Family Favorites: this is a notebook of all mrecipes for menu rotations, tried and true everyday favorites...that have with stood the test of time. This notebook is divided into sections such as Appetisers, Main Dishes etc.

3. Christmas Recipes: I created this last year on OC...it is recipes that are perfect for the holiday season....again divided by categories, Drinks, Appetisers, etc.

4. Favorite Holiday Recipes: I started this a while back and am trying to complete it as we work thorugh the project this year. It is divided by Holidays not categories and it does not contain Christmas since I have another whole notebook for that!!!

So far this system has been working pretty well for me...Notebooks 2-3-4 should only contain recipes we have tried and want to use again. Notebook 1 should contain recipes that have caught my interest but I haven't tried yet.

lol I think for me Gingerbug I would need 2, 3, and 4 to be must try recipes...lol. I need to stop browsing all the recipe sites, they have sooo many recipes that look great. Some are great tips like perfect pasta....OMG I couldn't believe it worked..here's the link http://www.recipezaar.com/30358

I did this with 3 pounds of ziti rigati and it worked so well-saves on worries and the cost of electric/gas by turning the stove off!!! Definitely a keeper in my book (don't ask me which one...lol maybe all of them)!!!

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
christmascreations, what a money saver (electric). Have you tried it with different sized pastas?

I only tried it with the ziti rigati which is a thick noodle and I cooked 3 pounds at once so it should work with every type of noodle...read the reviews and that should help out with the different pastas everyone used!! The original poster said it has worked with all but she hadn't tried it with really thin pastas like angel hair which might require less cooking time!!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Oh, Ginger, I like the notebook idea for recipes to try ... right now ... they are a mess of scattered papers in and about the cook book stand thingy I have on the counter! Between this idea, the Jumpstart cleaning, and the Christmas notebook ... I'm feeling so organized. Nice start to 2008.

Thanks to everyone!

:heartbeat: :jumpinghearts: :heartbeat:

sallyj08

MHH Member
Feb 5, 2008
My recipes are a wreck! I need to go through everything and reorganize. Nothing is more frustrating than looking for a favorite recipe and not being able to find it!

These boards are so inspiring! Thank you!!!!

Petal

MHH Member
Mar 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Can someone please help me? I really want to organize my recipes, but I am clueless on where to begin. I have about 25 cookbooks and a big box full of loose recipes, some hand written and some torn out of magazines. I do have favorite recipes, but honestly don't know where to find them. Whenever I need them it takes forever to look thru the books. I'm hopeless, I know :help:

Darcy

Retire Member
Jan 1, 2008
Here's a suggestion for the recipe books. When you use a recipe in one of the books, put a post it note inside the front cover that tells you which recipe you used, the page it is on and the date. Within 6 months you'll know which recipe books you use all the time and which ones you don't. If you only use a few recipes out of a book, you can copy those and get rid of the book.

I had a client who had lots of recipes cut out of magazines and the newspaper. We spent a morning sorting them by category, then putting them in expanding file sorters. Each expanding file had about 8 sections. I labeled them: appetizers, baked goods, desserts, etc. and we filed them all away.

Darcy
Professional Organizer

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
I would take the boxes full of recipes cut them and stick them on a piece of card stock like recipes on the same piece then slide the card stocks into page protectors then into a note book or post bound album

bunny4

I'm throwing my hat in here as well. I'm working on a few things at once but need to do this as well. I have great recipes in a binder but well.... ya know they're messy. lol I need to get them organized. I do like the list that is on here and think i might work on it in that way. Ilove new recipes.

Thanks girls

jodilee10128

Retire Member
Oct 23, 2007
My grandmother made me one of these books, so I am now trying all the recipes and taking pictures of me making all her dishes. I will be giving her the album for her 75th birthday.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Finally did it! I had purchased dividers when we started to organize our Recipe Notebook but never got around to doing the sorting.

http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/...ction=view&current=RecipeNotebookdividers.jpg

So this weekend I downloaded the templates for my type of dividers. Then I sorted my recipes into piles I could understand. I have a Mexican section, a crock-pot section, I put all meat type reacipes together but have a poultry section since I have a lot of chicken recipes. Having done this I knew how I wanted to label my dividers. Printed it off and now my Recipes are all neat and organized in a way that I can find everything!

I did leave out the recipes for desserts. I decided I need another notebook for these. Will have to find dividers on sale again for this book.

My Holiday recipes go into my Holiday notebooks since at this time my Holiday Notebooks aren't very thick.....yet.

Congrats Ahorsesoul!!! This weekend I hope to finish getting the bedrooms complete and organized and then next weekend I am having 3 teeth pulled so I won't be very active. I already have most of my grandmothers "cut out" recipes sorted through. I threw out all recipes I would probably NEVER use and so that weekend I will sort them in categories while in pain..lol!! Now that I am thinking about it, it might not be good to stare at food recipes with a swollen mouth, the hunger with the visuals will be a brain tease...lmao!!!