MY First REAL Thanksgiving

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Jessica

Retire Member
Jan 3, 2008
SW Georgia
Ok, so I am not sure if this is where this belongs or not, but here goes. This year I really want to do Thanksgiving at my house. We typically go to family's, but with 3 kids under 4 in tow, I would like it to be here. My biggest dilema is I start decorating for Christmas NOW!

Do you guys typically decorate for Turkey Day and then redecorate? Advice?

I want to do something different that the what everyone is used too.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I don't really decorate for Thanksgiving at all, however, I don't decorate for Christmas until after Thanksgiving either. If you normally decorate for Christmas now then do it. Don't be worried about what everyone else will think, you are the one that has to live with it and you might as well live happy. :)

You could do a snowflake themed Thanksgiving or something along those lines that fits with your decor. You could have Christmas cookies along with pie.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Jessica - why is it a dilemma for Thanksgiving -- if there are Christmas decorations up on that day? Are other people coming to your house for Thanksgiving dinner this year?

You mentioned having three little children AND wanting to host Thanksgiving dinner in your own home. In an ideal world, nobody would be coming to your home for that day who would be critical of you, your children OR your decorations!

However --- I am aware of the realities of family life (inlaws........ etc. etc.) Sometimes we DO have people in our homes who are critical of us...... and do make us uncomfortable.

What will be MORE unpleasant for you...... going to these people's house for Thanksgiving......... or having them come to your house?

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
How about decorating for Christmas as you usually do and make the dining table all about Thanksgiing? If you decide to put away a few Christmas things off your dining table then it should be easy to put them back on after Thanksgiving. Have fun and remember if someone offers to bring something take them up on it and give them something specific to bring so you don't end up with 12 pumpkin pies!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I don't decorate until after Thanksgiving, so I generally do a whole theme table. BUT if I did, I would just go with naturals on the table...pines, pinecones, acorns, feathers, etc. then for Christmas you could add sparkle to it with ornaments, ribbons, etc. KWIM?

Enjoy the dinner...it's more about family and food than decor. :0)

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
I wouldn't worry about having Christmas decorations up. Many people begin their Christmas decorating right after Thanksgiving dinner!! I also had a friend many years ago who always tried to have her Christmas decorations up for Thanksgiving because that was the only time during the season that her family would be at her home during the holidays. You can also phrase your invitation by asking people to join you for Thanksgiving and the "start of the holiday season"... Just enjoy your day and your family, remember they love you!!!

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I wouldn't worry about having Christmas decorations up. Many people begin their Christmas decorating right after Thanksgiving dinner!! I also had a friend many years ago who always tried to have her Christmas decorations up for Thanksgiving because that was the only time during the season that her family would be at her home during the holidays. You can also phrase your invitation by asking people to join you for Thanksgiving and the "start of the holiday season"... Just enjoy your day and your family, remember they love you!!!

Merry and all, what lovely advice you have given to Jessica. To me, it is about the family and being with people who love you and that you also love. Go with your gut. It's YOUR home. Have a lovely day and dinner and it doesn't matter how things are decorated. Besides, Thanksgiving isn't till the 27th, I believe, so it will be less than a month until Christmas by then.

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
I say decorate for Christmas if thats what you like and enjoy. I love the lights and decorations and if your visitors dont too bad, lol. :)

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Jessica,

I have to agree with everyone else...do what works for you in YOUR home and what makes you happy! I don't decorate for Christmas until after Turkey Day, but if I did, I'd just keep the dining room in Fall mode until after dinner.

Jessica

Retire Member
Jan 3, 2008
SW Georgia
Thanks everyone! I have decided to go ahead and do some of the decorating that takes the most time and keep the dining room in a fall meets Christmas decor. Most of our Christmas decor is "country themed" so it's the deeper colors that will blend well.

We wanted to have it at our house this year, because typically I cook more than anyone in the family and having to transport the food, and the kids, could get tricky. Plus this way, if the kids are ready to go down it will be very easy to do so. I'm odd in the fact that sometimes having control makes me less stressed!

Thank you all again for your adivce!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I'm agreeing with all the great comments here.

I decorate for "fall" in September thru Thanksgiving Day. The day after ... here come the Christmas decorations until like Jan. 10, or 11 or whenever I finally get around to taking it down!!! :)