Need Book & Movie Suggestions!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Are these all supposed to be specifically about Halloween, or just scary?

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
We have recently become hooked on the spiderwick Chronicles-not Halloween but magical-
I saw a kids title in the bookstore yesterday that I was interested in-I'll find it and post it as well. Alot of what I read right now is for ages 8-12. But I'll keep my eyes open for something more sophisticated! :haha:

Jingle Belle

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
These don't have to be Halloween specific (because there just aren't that many to choose from). I think they could be scary, magical, or just have a Fall theme to them.

My 6 year old daughter has just recently started reading the Spiderwick books and is really enjoying them. I think there are a lot of books that might be considered "young adult" that adults would enjoy too (I'm thinking like Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, that type of thing). If there are books that are definately geared towards kids, we could list those too so that people could have an option. Actually, I really like that idea, so please let me know of your suggestions!

Thanks!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
It would be great if we could get a list for April-December then I could make the list like I did for Rudolph Day ones. It gives everyone more time to order or buy or reserve them at the library. You are right these are harder to find!

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
A wonderful children's picture book I just read is Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson (author of The Gruffalo, which could also be a fun picture book to read on Great Pumpkin Day -- not to mention cute!). It features a witch and is very Halloween-friendly, but could be read at any time of the year.

I'm kid-free, but loved it. Beautiful illustrations, poetic prose with a great pace, feel-good message with a happy ending. Has a dragon, but not too scary and actually pretty funny. I think all of you and the little ones will adore it, too.

Jingle Belle

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
Thanks for the ideas so far. I'll take what we have so far and post a new list.

Anyone else have ideas? I know as we get into the hot weather of summer people will start looking forward to fall and have all kinds of good ideas.

By the way, if it seems like I haven't been participating as much in the last couple of months, it's because I started a blog and it's taking up most of my online time. Sorry!

Jingle Belle

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
I decided to go ahead and add a pick of my own for April so that we'd have a full list for that month. I picked the movie Clue, which is rated PG. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I think it has sort of a mysterious, Halloweenish feel to it. Not to mention that it's funny!

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
I love the movie CLue! Haven't seen it in years either, but will definitely look for it.

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
Here are two more Great Pumpkin Day movie suggestions:

Ghostbusters.

Might be too scary for the youngest among us, but a classic gem. And for something friendly for all ages and entirely new for most of us:

Kiki's Delivery Service.

It tells the story of a little witch-in-training, Kiki, and her cat, Jiji. For Kiki to establish herself as a full witch, they venture out on a traditional quest of leaving home to spend a year alone in a new town. Kiki ends up running an air-delivery service and catches the eye of a boy named Tombo, who joins the adventure. It's by most fabulous Japanese director, Hayao Miyazaki, and, while it's an anime, you don't have to be an anime fan to enjoy this film. It's truly beautiful, and the English dub features the familiar (well, at least for Americans) voices of Kirsten Dunst (as Kiki), Phil Hartman (Jiji), Matthew Lawrence (Tombo), Janeane Garofalo, Debbie Reynolds, et al.

And as for books, here's a non-fiction book that is absolutely fascinating:

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach

It speaks in great detail about the history and various uses of the human form/cadaver -- body farms, medical applications, even human crash dummies. This was enlightening for me, and I know several bookworms who actually consider it their favorite book of all time, but it's not for anyone skittish about death/dying, or anyone with a weak stomach when it comes to discussing the "unrefined" like cadavers. After all, that's what the book is about. When viewed in a festive light, this book could have a bizarre Halloween edge to it.