Need help with 'Twas the Night Before Christmas Theme

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
This year I am planning to do my decorating, wrapping etc with a 'Twas the Night Before Christmas theme.

All suggestions will be appreciated. I'm planning a garland with 'sugar plums' on it (I bought picks at Joann Fabric that look like candy and I glittered them to look like they are sugared). And I am hoping to get a bed in the dollhouse furniture section.

But other than that, I am at a loss.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
That is such a cute idea! Can't wait to read what will be written in this thread.

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
I had been thinking of decorating with this theme as well. Here is what I am doing. I have a cute stuffed mouse I was going to place on top of my lighted presents. I have a small lighted mouse that I always place at the top of the stairs next to our Twas the Night before Christmas book. I was also thinking about using the first few words somehow. Possibly print them on ball ornaments and hang them somewhere. In one of my Christmas books, they printed the words on a ribbon and put it on the tree for a garland. I also have a santa that I put in a sleigh, with small star and mercury glass ornaments. I am going to add my battery operated color changing lighted present ornaments to the sleigh as well. I have a larger lighted and glittered star I may add near the santa this year. I think reindeers and snowflakes could still go with the theme too. Please let us know what else you come up with.

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
Here is what I have so far:

1. I'm going to print out the first line of the poem in a nice script font and place it somewhere prominent.

2. I don't have a cute stuffed mouse, but I am going to be looking for one. In the mean time, I think I will make a bunch of these and hang them from either the main tree or perhaps a mini tree. candy cane mice

3. I'm also planning on some Hershey kiss mice for gifts if time and money allows.

4. The garland on the fireplace in the living room will have 'sugar plums' (candy picks bought at Joann Fabric that I 'sugared' with glitter and some Martha Stewart ornaments I picked up on clearance last year that look like cakes. In the center of the garland will be a doll house sized bed with two sleeping children made out of beads (for the heads) and pipe cleaners. Their bodies will be under the covers, so you won't see the pipe cleaners.

5. This is the area that we normally hang our stockings, so they will be there. In addition, I bought a bunch of mini stockings last year on clearance that I will use as cutlery holders in the dining room, which is visible from the living room.

that's it so far.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Great idea! It reminded me immediately of the mouse that I had stenciled on one of the wall in my old house. I photocopied the image out of a childrens book from the library, traced a stencil and painted it onto my wall down low along the floor. It was a tiny mouse in a black little cave among some stenciled brickwork. If I had thought about it, I would have put a little Christmas hat on him for the holidays. Hmm. I still have those stencils somewhere...

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Cindylouwho I made mice silhouettes (for Halloween) which I glued on the woodwork... they would work great too!

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
I really like the idea of a mouse with a santa hat silhouette. I had thought about stenciling the first few words on the wall like my christmas wall quotes, but wasn't sure if I wanted to have to repaint afterwards. An alternate idea I had was to cut the letters out and stick the letters to the wall like a wall quote (maybe embellish them with something). I think stenciling the words onto a pillow near the fireplace would be nice too.

You might like these meringe mice too. http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/meringue-mice

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Cute idea! I love theme Christmases, don't you?

My mom did a variation of this one year, and she bought a toy rubber mouse in the pet section to put on her grandfather clock on the mantle. So cute!

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
Cathymac, that is such a cute idea!. For some reason I have a thing for mice this year....as long as they aren't REAL. I like them with my pumpkins too.

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
Went to Walmart tonight and thought of you, they have Twas the Night before Christmas wrapping paper, it's green with a small print and the words to the story in the back ground

Thanks for thinking of me, that's a great lead. I have alot of paper already, but perhaps I could wrap some presents with this paper and use them as part of my decorations. I have to go there anyways this weekend, I'll check it out!

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
I got the 'Twas the Night Before Christmas wrapping paper at Wal-Mart today. But I was horrified when I priced doll house beds at AC Moore and Michaels. I'm not in a financial position to pay $35.00 for something that is just going to be a part of a garland. I'm going to investigate other options (like ebay and friends)

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
I bought an ornament at a craft fair many years ago, that is a teeny grey felt mouse sleeping in a matchbox bed. Very cute, and might look really cute on your garland. You could use a bit of poly stuffing and a tiny pillowcase, with tiny lace edging, maybe, and a piece of calico for his quilt, all tucked in a partially open matchbox. Just an idea.

nicurn92

MHH Member
Sep 25, 2008
while looking for elves at homegoods, saw some really cute mice. they had a set of 2 on a step ladder. you could easily take them off the step ladder and put them someplace else. :)

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
I bought an ornament at a craft fair many years ago, that is a teeny grey felt mouse sleeping in a matchbox bed. Very cute, and might look really cute on your garland. You could use a bit of poly stuffing and a tiny pillowcase, with tiny lace edging, maybe, and a piece of calico for his quilt, all tucked in a partially open matchbox. Just an idea.

How cute! If I can find little mice somewhere, I could make a bunch for ornaments

nicurn92

MHH Member
Sep 25, 2008
oh, saw a cute beanie baby (mini) mouse... one of the jingle beanies... super cute, 2.99 at hallmark. :)