Need Ideas: Adoption party

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

happyalice

MHH Member
Oct 16, 2007
So this is a little bit premature, but all signs are pointing to being able to adopt the 2 little foster boys I currently have. They are 1 (soon to be 2) and 3, and I want to have a party to celebrate this event. Most likely the adoption won't be finalized until probably right before Christmas. I originally wanted to have their party at our local zoo, since that's our weekend hangout, but our weather is entirely too questionable during that time of year for that. I'm thinking maybe around 75-100 people, hors d'oeuvres and cake. I think an open house style makes the most sense, so people can come and go as they want, and so the boys aren't overwhelmed by that many people focusing on them all at once.

I'd like to have a theme (separate from Christmas decorating which will likely already be up), but I'm running blank on ideas. I know you all are a clever, creative sort, tho :)

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
First congrats I hope all goes well with the adoption! I like the idea of it being different from Christmas and a open house sound perfect since it's a lot of people invited. Try pintrets They have so many ideas. Since your kids like the zoo maybe you can do a animal theme. One had invitations with Owls on it and it said "look Woo is officially a Smith" Or a puzzle "we found our missing pieces"
Pinterest if full of amazing people and ideas.

happyalice

MHH Member
Oct 16, 2007
Thanks! I did some more thinking on this last night and I'm thinking that if it's close to the holidays, I might do a tree with handmade animal ornaments celebrating our day. What I'd really like to do is take some photos of the animals at our local zoo and turn it into a bit of a fundraiser for them (in lieu of gifts, of course). People could "adopt" an ornament/animal...take the ornament home and get a little certificate or something from the zoo. Still thinking it over, and I need to talk to someone at the zoo, but I'm almost positive they will get on board with this.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Congrats on the boys! I love the adopting an animal idea.

happyalice

MHH Member
Oct 16, 2007
Well, after talking it over with DH yesterday, we've decided that if we can finalize everything before the end of September (which is unlikely but we're hopeful), we will rent the zoo for a night and have everyone there. Otherwise, if I can't get the whole thing, we will have this at a local park that has a very nice indoor facility. The more we've talked, the guest list has grown to the point that hosting it at our house is out of the question. We still want to do it as a fundraiser for the zoo.

I'll be a little bummed if we can't have it AT the zoo, since we could offer turtle races and train rides, etc. However, the timing may just not work out well. They only allow night rentals through the end of September. I might see if I can talk them into letting us have it no matter the time of year, however.
Thanks everyone! We are soooo excited!!!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Congratulations on your pending adoption! I hope the zoo works out for you!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Sounds like a great plan. Hope it all works out for you. Sounds like you are going to give those two boys a wonderful life!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
wow the zoo sounds amazing so I hope it all works out for you.

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
CONGRATS ON THE ADOPTION.
as some of u know I adopted my dd in 04, she was 10 1/2 & she had been in & out of homes, so we were excited to make our home her "4ever home". we done a 4 ever theme. we asked party attendees to bring a card with reason's y she would b great in our 4 ever home. it was a surprise to her, so it made it even more exciting. She was presented with a certificate, like birth certificate, but a pic of all of us as a family with our newly built home on it. It was a beginning yo a wonderful life for her..

congrats again on ur new additions....

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Congratulations on the adoption! I really hope you can get to have the party at the zoo. That made me think of when our local zoo used to host 'Zoo Lights'. During the holidays the zoo opened at night and they had a train all decked out in lights that took you around the park. If you were lucky you might got a peek at an animal awake. They served hot chocolate, hotdogs and pretzels and even played holiday music over the loudspeaker. It really was a fun place to take my nieces and nephews when they were little. I don't think they have it any more. Bummer. :(

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Congratulations on the adoptions! I am sure if you talk to the zoo officials, they'd be willing to work with you on the date. I love the idea of "adopting" the animals!

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Congratulations!!!