No Money? No Worries! Check Out Gift Ideas Here!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Some wonderful ladies in another thread encouraged me to start a dedicated thread to gift giving - either on a shoe string budget or gifts that come from the heart, not the wallet.

Here, during CIJ, when so many of us are working on gift lists, crafting, planning or just thinking ahead, it seemed like the perfect time to gather suggestions for gifts that will not break the bank.

So, I'll start and I hope others will follow so we can end up with a big ole' list of things to think about and choose from!

1. Have smaller children? Grandparents, aunts and uncles all love art! Give your child paint, crayons, water colors and a piece of heavy paper and ask them to draw what makes them happy about that particular person. Head to the Dollar Store for a simple certificate frame that can be touched up with some craft paint. For the ladies, add a pretty ribbon for hanging.

2. For your DH or someone else that is really special - write them a letter. If it's your best friend remind them of a time you fondly remember - include an old picture if you can find one. For your DH write a sweet love letter - even better, write it on a Christmas ornament - round and round and never ending - just like your love for one another.

3. So many people have talked about back to school days, but I would be remiss if I did not mention that you can put together a GREAT arts & craft kit from all the school supply sales for very little money.

What other ideas do you have?

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
On the same note, a few years ago at Target I watched the supplies after School started. The day they marked them down to 75 or 80% I was there picking up all kinds of items for my nieces. Back then it was the Jonas Brothers and Hanna Montana. They got a box of all the expensive, cool supplies that normally parents pass by. Notebooks, Folders, Pencils, Pencil Holders and Book Covers. They all loved them!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
MinnieCo, that is what I did last year for the 2 nieces and 1 nephew for their big present. I purchased a tote and filled it with art and craft stuff. The majority was school items like you mentioned. Colored pencils, crayons, scratch pads, construction paper, play doh, some of the kits where you ironed the plastic pieces after making a pattern. HL had these plastic cups for $1 that you color the picture and put in under the plastic. Just stuff like you said that parents pass by but kids love and keeps them entertained for long periods at time. Had some kiddie stencils etc.

festivefun

Retire Member
Feb 25, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Thank you Kim.

Great thread and you have got me thinking already. I love the photo with letter idea and think that I could apply it in different forms to all the closest on my list: OH, Bro, Mum, Dad, Aunt and Gran. So I am going to put this into action.

I like the idea of the homemade handwarmers too, which wouldn't cost a lot and I'm sure could be done with handstitching. I'm sure I came across free printables for these, but not at home. I will look out for them though because I could give them to most people on my close list too.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
a nice but really inexpensive item to make for Christmas is candied orange peel. I tried it this past weekend and it was great.
All you do is finely peel an orange with a potato peeler, trying to get no pith. Boil the skins in a little water for a few minutes just to make sure the peel is really clean. Make a simple sugar syrup and place the peel in it for a few minutes. When it is done place the peels in a very slow oven until they dry. Cool. I dipped one end of the cool peel in melted chocolate and the when it was set I place the peel in a glass jar.
really easy, cheap delicious and made the house smell great. There are plenty of recipes on the internet.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Back in the dark ages when I was married, I wanted to give my husband something just from me. I was a SAHM at the time. So, I made him a coupon book. It really was a gift of the heart, because I gave him coupons for some things that bugged me and some that didn't, but he liked. He slept a LOT, and I mean A LOT!!! (that way he didn't have to spend his waking hours with his family) I gave him a coupon for a nap without me griping (First one he cashed in), one for cleaning out the car, a back rub, his favorite cookies, favorite meal. You get the idea. It only cost me red and green construction paper and some time.

I have done the craft boxes for DGC. Youngest DGD loves to do artsy things, so I think I may do that for her this year. I always check out the back to school things, too.

I always buy sale items. Never full retail. When I was in business college and didn't work for six months, hence NO money, I made holders for plastic store bags from dish towels. Now with the internet, you can find all kinds of ideas. I love the letters idea.

For your DHs or Sweeties, you could do a message in a bottle. Maybe you could get a bottle at the thrift store, and say, if you have been married ten years, write something on ten different paper strips, maybe scrapbook scraps: ten things you love about that person, or appreciate about him/her. You get the idea.

Kim, this is a great thread. I'll do some more pondering and see what I can come up with.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
*WARNING, WARNING*NOT SO SUBTLE HINT AHEAD*

Maybe Pam will post her famous hot chocolate in a jar receipe here in this thread.

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
Last year I put together a scrapbook for my siblings of the pictures of when we were kids. It is a project that can cost very little if you watch for deals on prints and use coupons for scrapbooks. Another idea along the same lines is framing just one picture. In our area there have been great sales on frames. The scrapbook does require a lot of time but it was a lot of fun. My siblings were so appreciative that it was worth every second I spent on them.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Two gifts we made last year that didn't cost much:

- Family recipe book we gave to the teens with about 10 recipes each. This year we'll print out a few more to add to it.

- Family calendar - that was a HIT!!! So we'll probably be doing another one this year.

festivefun

Retire Member
Feb 25, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm thinking an invite to a dinner party at the end of January. Won't be totally free but doesn't have to be expensive either and January can be a dull month for many. Couple of options for date could be given and you decide together when is best...

or...if you have theatrically minded kids...get them to put on a show for family or friends who would enjoy coming over...

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Picture calanedars are always good. 2 years ago, they had then in the dollar bin at target and my daughter made them for our family gifts.

I love the recipe book idea. I got a new cricut cartridge that is all about the kitchen and food. I should put it to use.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
When my Dad was alive he had a few recipes that he loved that only I cooked. Some years I gave him vouchers for the foods that he liked and he could redeem them. He was the only one that like quiche, so I would make him a quiche. That sort of thing.

My daughter did me a voucher book one mothers day which I thought was great. It was for things like...... I will do the dishes, I will do the ironing...., I will make you breakfast. That sort of thing.

As Pam says costs nothing but time and a little bit of paper.

Grammyk

Retire Member
Jan 14, 2008
This is hardly ever on anyones list, but if I know the couple will have a house phone, I give them a wall mounted phone. That way, when lights go out it works, when cell service goes down during a storm(happens alot here) this phone still works. It seems to be something young couples don't think about.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lucie has posted tons of e books over at the "What you are reading now" section. The books are full of great, and inexpensive ideas. Go and check them out for some inspiration

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
This is hardly ever on anyones list, but if I know the couple will have a house phone, I give them a wall mounted phone. That way, when lights go out it works, when cell service goes down during a storm(happens alot here) this phone still works. It seems to be something young couples don't think about.

Very good point, Grammyk! I had not thought about that.

orangesforadam

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Last year I gave the kids' God-sister several pairs of socks! I would get them on clearance after the holidays and different seasons and put them all in a pretty box (also bought on clearance) and she loved them! I bet I didn't spend more than $10 total.

The arts and crafts box gave me an idea. I think it would be great to do a road trip box with those items that are car-friendly so the kids can have something to do on the road. My DD would love it, although her tech-geek brother might not...hmmm...I'll have to think about that some more.

While you're watching sales, don't forget about the gardeners on your list! Once sprinklers and hoses and such go on sale at the end of summer you can pick up some great stuff for little money. I want DH to do this for me each year, but he never does. Drat. I guess I'll shop for myself! lol

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I know I've posted this before, but one of the best gifts I've ever gotten was time...my mom offered to help me "Clean Sweep" our basement. It was such a huge, intimidating job that I kept putting it off. She came and we finished in ONE WEEKEND! It was such a relief and not something that I ever would have thought of to ask for.

There are probably lots of tasks that people on your list would like help with. I'm making MY wishlist!!!

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
The idea of a gift of time, reminds me of a great idea Cathymac posted once. Her sil wanted her kitchen painted. She got an empty paint can and some paint color card swatches (free) and included a note saying they would paint her kitchen for her. I don't know how many times I have heard older people begin to say that their yards are just becoming too much work for them. I think it would be a great idea to gift your time, however often you can, bring muffins and coffee and visit afterwards.

A little variation is a gift that would involve family time. Alot of gifts can be put together for about $10.00. Making a cookie baking kit, a movie night including different popcorn seasonings, microwave popcorn and a $5.00 movie rental gc. There are so many great ideas that I come accross on the internet and on here. Traditions, crafts that you can make with your kids etc. When my kids were younger, I wish I knew about all the stuff I find now. I think just compiling a little book of great ideas you think that person would like makes a nice gift too. My sister and I set a $10.00 limit in gift giving. It's kind of fun to think of creative ways to make a nice gift for $10.00. I really liked the boobash idea I read about here. I adapted it a little to include our pumpkin carving, included a few carnival type games, monster cookie decorating, and a raffle. We just do this with just our family but it can include friends too. I thought my sister would really like to do this with her family too. At the time, I happened to find a really cute Halloween decoration I thought my sister would love. I Found a really cute Fall Festival sign, some fall themed carnival tickets at the dollar store, so I assembled the idea and everything in a box. Last Christmas my sister bought the kids marshmallow guns. Instead of picking out a different gift for my husband and I, she decided to get us all marshmallow guns too for some family time.

I also frequently check all the closeout stores and the dollar stores year around. More often than not, I don't find anything giftwise, but every once and a while I find something really good. I have found a chocolate fountain for $15.00 (usually $30.00-$40.00). A ceramic hot cocoa pot with a frother tool for $6.99 (I bought the same one for $19.99). I've found Spirit of Christmas books and Southern Living Christmas books at the dollar store. Sometimes things found at the dollar store or Target dollar spot can make a really nice addition to assembling gift baskets, like silicone pancake molds, silicone muffin pans etc.

I just had the idea of assembling the Tips of the day thread, and copies of alot of the other ideas I put in my notebook, to give as a gift for any future daughter-in-laws, or maybe newlywed/new mom type gifts. I really love hearing everyone's ideas.

Last edited:

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I could have sworn I posted the hot chocolate recipe in Kitchen Chatter, but I cannot find it. My memory isn't as good as it used to be, but I think this is pretty close to it:

10 2/3 c powdered milk
1-2 pound container of powdered chocolate mix (like Quik)
1 c powdered sugar
1 c powdered creamer

Put in a huge bowl, and mix it up with clean hands.

I fill a mug about 1/2 way with the mix, and add boiling water. Stir till all is dissolved. Can add marshmallows or marshmallow creme. Yummo!