Nov 15th - Attic/Storage Week!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Time is continuing to speed by at a breakneck pace!

This week is officially designated to working on the attic/storage space in our homes...but many if not most of us are probably playing fast and loose with the HGP at this point.

What are your goals for this week? Holiday related tasks that if done now, will help you out in the long run?

Happy planning!!! :)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Okay - this week is NOT going to be about the attic for me. Hopefully I will make it INTO the attic, to pull down some Christmas decorations, but that is about it! :)

Although DH is talking about putting in some new can lights in the kitchen, which means I will need to shift stuff around up there to get it out of his way. Thus, yet AGAIN, the HGP week this year seems to dovetail with DH's construction efforts. Freaky. :)

This week will be another Maintenance Week for me - with lots of holiday prep thrown in - if I can manage it! I'm starting to get really uncomfortable (3rd tri) and I know it doesn't get better from here - LOL

Okay, here is my list of to do's for this week:

[ ] Feed the Freezer (Browned meats, breakfast burritos, strawberry bread, etc.)
[ ] Finish Christmas Cards
[ ] Get 1 batch of cookie dough in freezer
[ ] Start wrapping gifts!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Ok, last week I had no garage, and this week I have no attic!! LOL

I am focusing on some quick things:

Dining Room
* go thru tater/gardening bin
* go thru pantry and dust

Living Room
* go thru books on shelves (to donate)
* go thru VHS, DVD, Cassette tapes (go donate)
* vacuum under couch

Hall
* go thru coat closet
* go thru medine/towel/sheet closet

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
No time for the attic before Christmas. So I'll concentrate on other things... like grand cleaning of downstairs bathroom.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Hmmmm ... have fun, there, Luludou! LOL

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
No attic work for me - either. So -- I'll switch to other kinds of storage. The so-called "Gift Closet" is the biggie. The Gift Closet is now a big pile on the floor on my side of the bed. I am wrapping gifts and taking them to the living room and stacking them. I am making good notes of the gifts -- and also showing them to dh before I wrap. He usually only discovers what gifts he has given when he sees the recipient open them!

I also will work on other storage areas. Finishing up the kitchen seems to be taking forevr. And the dining room needs another going over!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I have an attic and need to get into it but it is not a priority for me so not going to do it right now. We have a long cubby in my closet that is all Christmas so I don't need to get in there except to get out the gifts I hid for the boys and that's Christmas. I will stick w/ general stuff again this week I think. My room needs some cleaning big time so I will focus on that more. I don't have any where to put wrapped gifts so they will be in my closet until I get a tree up to put them under or something. Plus I am not sure how deep in the cubby my Christmas wrapping stuff is.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Mostly ignoring the attic also - although I have to get gifts down yet and hope to get rid of hockey goalie equipment as I am too old to do that anymore (LOL!).

If I have any fere time this week, I am concentrating on dining room, and finishing crafts and starting wrapping presents.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Not too terribly much to report - DH's work on replacing all the kitchen counter tops has kind of interuppted some of my cooking/freezer feeding plans.

But the counters are all done and they look FANTASTIC! Now we just have to get the tile backsplash done and the new can lights and it will be DONE! DONE! DONE!

I can't wait! DH has worked so hard!

I've also been working on finishing the thank you cards for the baby shower - which I am THIIISSS close to being done on. I just have to finish one card, address the envelopes and put the stamps on.

I hope to get that done tonight! And if I am lucky, get some more freezer feeding done as well! :)

List of to do's for this week:

[ ] Feed the Freezer (Browned meats, breakfast burritos, strawberry bread, etc.) - In progress, got the ground beef and sausage done and frozen. Made 2 "test" breakfast burritos - DH has eaten them both now so I need to do more! :)

[ ] Finish Christmas Cards
[ ] Get 1 batch of cookie dough in freezer
[ ] Start wrapping gifts!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Since I have no attic I spent this week going over my holiday menu one last time. I bought a few more ingredients and I took down all my fall decor since Thanksgiving dinner will be at another family member's home. I also did some more gift shopping.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Yesterday, we actually accomplished a lot!! In fact, all weekend was good!

Saturday morning was miserable, so a trip to the bookstore for DD to browse and us to drink coffee would have been ok, but very busy. So as we were all awake early, we headed to Ikea instead and got a few things for the house and a LOAD of presents. DD got a few that she wanted (she is insisting on buying one from her to each of her cousins etc so Ikea was good for cheapness!). And we got a load of useful but nice things for various people sorted too. We called at the local electrical store to get a new clock-radio (we need a digital clock for DD to keep her in bed until at least 6am), and also found a great straightening irons in travelling size for SIL (who adores her GHD and is doing a lot of travelling this year - and was only €21.99 so well within her budget). And DD picked "Alvin and the Chipmunks" DVD (there was a lengthy choosing session as there were about 6 great holiday ones to choose from), which was watched in front of a log fire later in the afternoon!

Yesterday, we got the wrapping paper out, and DD wrapped a few of "her" gifts - obviously her wrapping but still quite neat and kept her occupied! And I got her to write a few of the tags - I cut the fronts off old Christmas cards (so nice and big) and wrote out the names on a seperate sheet of paper for her to copy.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Oops, hit send before I was finished.

Anyway, there were only about 2 tags which I had to add a small version of the name down low in case the recipient couldn't be identified. And she cut tape for me to wrap a large bag of things also.

Then, as DH was still at work, we headed down to the local town for another 45 mins or so. The equivalent of the dollar store only yielded a ball for Sam - Grannie's dog! (He wasn't supposed to be on the list, but occasionally you have to give in to the pleading). But we did get both her and our present's for DH's uncle in the bookstore, her present for one of her aunts (who is big into sailing - so the new tides tables for the year) in the sailing store, and then headed into a chain store where I thought we might get a necklace or pair of socks for another aunt. Well, DD fell in love with the socks and slipper socks - which were €2 a pair, so we ended up getting them for 4 aunts and 3 uncles (3 ladies are getting the same in different colours, and 2 gents are getting identical!) - as well as finding a couple of pairs for her to wear on Christmas Eve Night which she was all excited about (a Rudolph pair for Christmas Eve, and another pair with Santa for over the hols, as she loves them and won't wear slippers in the mornings before getting dressed so is frozen otherwise!!).

And then last night, I sat down with the cards (having bought 3 more packs yesterday afternoon) and wrote 26 last night with about 12 left to do. So making very good progress.

And I had managed to get into the attic earlier and get down a few things from the gift store for regifting this year. As well as locating a few more things that aren't really suitable for regifting, that I will bring to a charity shop locally on Tuesday (we are on strike, even though I am against it, so I will put my day off to good use).

One thing I must do today is ring the school I attended and see if they want hockey goalie gear, so that I can bring it with us for the weekend of 4th Dec next. Which would be a HUGE bulky bag out of the way then.

Now, what does this week have in store for us??