November 1 - Family Room Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
How are we doing gals???

What are your plans for the HGP this week? Working on the Family Room? Subbing a different room?

This week I am subbing the Office/Craft Room space that DH and I now share. My HGP tasks are simple and straightforward:

[ ] Straighten and put away clutter - especially what can be seen from the doorway
[ ] Sweep ceiling corners and walls for any cobwebs
[ ] Vacuum

This is the final week before our baby shower and there will be lots of people coming to our house this coming Sunday - so I can only give cursory attention to this room this week.

My goal is to get the clutter picked up and basic cleaning done. If not, I'll be shutting that door during the party. :)

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks AuntJamelle for starting this week's thread. I don't have a family room so I will take this week to relax as far as house cleaning goes.

ETA: Have a wonderful Baby Shower.

Last edited:

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I have some work to do on the family room alright - DD's playroom which is the sunroom end of the big kitchen/diner/sunroom. With toys everywhere, works of art piled high, and a dresser that needs serious attention too.

[] Sort out DD's art - display 2/3, store a small bag, and quietly dispose of the rest of the very large pile
[] Sort out DD's toys - do a changeover, get rid of broken and unused ones, empty the box a bit
[x] Clear off top of dresser
[x] Wash floor of family room
[x] Dust everywhere (entire house)
[x] Clear off guest beds - 1 is better than none
[] Bring charity shop collection to charity shops
[x] Put DD's too small clothes into attic
[] Clear out guest wardrobe - the lower part

[x] Update Christmas gifts list and budget
[x] Pay bills - bins and gas
[x] Fill in form for Dentist payment (social insurance covers exam/cleaning twice yearly)
[x] Fill in DD's passport form
[] Fill in my passport form
[] Get my passport photos (US so complicated here)
[] Get all passport documentation stamped by Police (ID purposes)
[x] Arrange my swine flu jab (and check on whether DD can get it)
[] Contact man about payment for car damage
[x] Write a few Christmas cards

[x] Keep knitting DH's scarf
[x] Sew in ends on DD's scarf - YAY!! She's wearing it today!!
[xxxxxxx] Sew in ends on 9!!! facecloths
[x] Sew tote for nephew (done - just needs a strap and fastening)
[] Sew tote for other nephew (cut out)
[] Rip back and start sleeve of baby boy cardigan again - went hopelessly wrong

[x] Work on emptying freezer
[x] Find uses for 2 heads of red cabbage
[] Start a batch of mincemeat for Christmas
[] Make a batch of cookies - freeze half of dough

I think that's enough.

Ooops forgot 2 when I read the list again:
[] Buy at least one gift (I am accepting I won't be making everything after all and started buying last week)
[xx] Buy non-perishable goods for goodwill drive (sorry forgot to add, but it's a staple on grocery list at present)

Last edited:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Family Room Week! This room is our combined family room/dining room -- so most of our "together time" is in this room. There are two tall, open bookshelves. And one of them is pretty cluttered! I also have not yet put up the thermal curtains for the winter in this room. If I could get those things done -- I would be happy! (I'm happy anyway. But I would be more happy with this room!)

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
This is my first time in a really long time back in all of the "plans" so this week will be my "living room". (we don't have seperate living room and faimly room). We recently had company and beg. of the summer did alot of work in there so now it's maintenance.
( ) I need to take down the halloween decroations (the only room that has them) and replace them w/ the few Turkey decorations I have.

( ) general cleaning, dusting, picking up...

( ) steam cleaner on the furnature.... mabye.... not sure about this one

( ) clean off top of craft cabinet. I recently cleaned it out but it's still over crowded. Not much I can do about that just yet

( ) if opportunity comes up start thinking of paint colors. We put in laminate hard wood floors earlier this year and my parents are going to make built in around the french doors at one end for our Christmas gift. I don't know when they will find the time yet but I want to start thinking of paint option even if it is when I am Walmart, picking up ideas.

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
I had done this room earlier, but when cleaning other rooms in the house, I sort of put things in there. It really made me sad to see this room cluttered again. Oh well, I am really going to focus on getting this done today. It shouldn't be too bad since the major decluttering was already done. I just need to put away the things I left in there.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Haven't touched the Office/Craft Room yet - really think it will just have to wait until after the shower - thank goodness for the ability to close doors! :)

I HAVE been working on the Living Room again (which is also our Family Room if you will) so I am still making progress...

Last night I cleaned up the houseplants in that room, trimmed them, discarded dead leaves, etc. Much better!

I also did a deep clean of the downstairs bathroom last night, sort of a mini HGP effort all in a go. It looks great!!!

Tonight DH is going to scrape paint off the skylights in the Living Room (side effect of recent construction project to finish said skylights). Once he is done I can start dusting and wiping down surfaces that will get "dusted" with paint chips. UGH.

I also have to readdress the glass in the French Doors in this room and the sunroom - wet dogs shaking out their fur while kept in the sunroom during the SKUNK INCIDENT spattered the glass up again - so I have to redo that task - DOUBLE UGH.

Tonight I also plan to clean the upstairs shower (basically just spray it with CLR and let it sit - repeat until it rinses clean)

AND I will clean the microwave and decide on a spot in the new cupboard to store my food processor so as to free up counter space.

LOTS to do - hopefully my energy holds out! :)

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This is Thursday of Family Room Week. Almost nothing has gotten done in this room this week. MAYBE tomorrow.........

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Okay, a little progress to report...

[X] French Doors windexed
[X] Bar area dusted, wiped down and generally straightened

DH finished scraping the paint off the skylights night before last and the room looks great!

Having the "finish work" finally done on those skylights really does make a difference!

Tonight I will do the floors in the Living Room (same as Family Room to us). Tile to scrub and wood floors to sweep and mop. Such fun! lol

:)