November 2014 Rudy Day Movie

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I will be traveling on Rudy Day so wanted to post this month's movie. Miracle on 34th Street. I thought it would be appropriate for November since it begins with the Thanksgiving and takes us all the way to Christmas. Some fun facts I found online... Enjoy the movie.

It was so cold during the filming of the scene at the end of the film where Natalie Wood spots her dream house on the street and runs inside that the cameras actually froze. While technicians worked on fixing them, a woman who lived in one of the neighboring houses invited the cast inside to stay warm. The Good Samaritan was rewarded when Maureen O'Hara as a thank you took her and her husband to the 21 Club later that night.

The scenes inside Macy's were actually shot at the famous department store at Herald Square. They had to be shot at night so as not to interfere with regular store business.

The rivalry between department stores Macy's and Gimbels depicted in the film was very real. The two stores were just blocks from each other in New York and major competitors for the same business. The rhetorical question "Does Macy's tell Gimbels?" was a popular phrase used throughout the 1930s-1960s which meant that business competitors are not supposed to share trade secrets with one another.

Gimbels Department Store closed its doors permanently in 1986.

Macy's department store founder R.H. Macy is portrayed in the film by actor Harry Antrim even though the real R.H. Macy passed away in 1877.
When John Hughes' production company wanted to do a theatrical re-make of the film in 1994, they could not get Macy's to participate. "We feel the original stands on its own and could not be improved upon," said a company spokesperson at the time. The re-make instead called its fictional store Cole's.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Love that film. I have the old version here but I will be getting the newer version so the elves can bring it next year.

I think Macy's did not make a good choice of not participating in the newer version. Actually I prefer the newer version.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
i haven't watched it in a long time, so I'll do that and enjoy every moment I'm sure. I need to see if it's online, but if not, I might just go and splurge and buy it.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I will be traveling on Rudy Day so wanted to post this month's movie. Miracle on 34th Street. I thought it would be appropriate for November since it begins with the Thanksgiving and takes us all the way to Christmas. Some fun facts I found online... Enjoy the movie.

It was so cold during the filming of the scene at the end of the film where Natalie Wood spots her dream house on the street and runs inside that the cameras actually froze. While technicians worked on fixing them, a woman who lived in one of the neighboring houses invited the cast inside to stay warm. The Good Samaritan was rewarded when Maureen O'Hara as a thank you took her and her husband to the 21 Club later that night.

The scenes inside Macy's were actually shot at the famous department store at Herald Square. They had to be shot at night so as not to interfere with regular store business.

The rivalry between department stores Macy's and Gimbels depicted in the film was very real. The two stores were just blocks from each other in New York and major competitors for the same business. The rhetorical question "Does Macy's tell Gimbels?" was a popular phrase used throughout the 1930s-1960s which meant that business competitors are not supposed to share trade secrets with one another.

Gimbels Department Store closed its doors permanently in 1986.

Macy's department store founder R.H. Macy is portrayed in the film by actor Harry Antrim even though the real R.H. Macy passed away in 1877.
When John Hughes' production company wanted to do a theatrical re-make of the film in 1994, they could not get Macy's to participate. "We feel the original stands on its own and could not be improved upon," said a company spokesperson at the time. The re-make instead called its fictional store Cole's.
Awesome info! Thanks! LOVE that movie!!

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
Every year on Thanksgiving, back in the day, after the Macy's parade they would show this movie directly after it. Now they have the dog show.

Since the movie starts during the Thanksgiving parade, I've always watched it on Thanksgiving. This year I watched it on Friday.

I love this movie. So many great actors and I love the story.