Oct. 25 - Public Spaces week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

rockin_granola

Retire Member
Dec 27, 2007
Go Colts!
www.rockingranola.com
(Hope it is okay I start this thread)
This week is Public Spaces week ...

http://christmas.organizedhome.com/houseworks-holiday-plan/public-space-week

Here's to a great week, everyone! I've so appreciated being able to come here for inspiration and motivation (and accountability, too!) ... looking forward to another week of holiday planning and preparation along with all of you.

Best Wishes!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
OK. Public Spaces Week.

For me, the "Public Spaces" are the living room. Also the small entrance hall (and front door closet). Certainly things that every visitor sees. Also - the first things WE see when we come home.

NOT today.... but hopefully tomorrow -- I will begin to spif up these areas. Not too huge a project. But -- it will take time. Everything takes time.

Nothing needs to be bought for this area. Except -- some wood for the fireplace. (I usually use the presto-log things, that I pick up at the grocery store.) I keep them in a basket between the couch and the front window.

OH -- today, I bought whipped cream for the hot chocolate!

It is definitely a relief that somebody else has thought things out -- and we can just follow along on the plan.

rockin_granola

Retire Member
Dec 27, 2007
Go Colts!
www.rockingranola.com
It is definitely a relief that somebody else has thought things out -- and we can just follow along on the plan.

Indeed! I like being able to just go on "auto pilot" and check things off of a list someone else has already done the brain work on :)

For Public Spaces this week I'm focusing on the Living room and will do a dining room and entry way spruce up, too. We've got company coming in for Halloween so this is good timing for me to get things done.

I still haven't really decorated for Halloween and wasn't successful in getting all the Halloween costumes done yesterday either. I just have odds'n'ends to finish here and there and then need to have the kids try them on and make sure they fit properly and that they can walk in them safely. Am going to try to accomplish both of those things today.

I'm using my new Holiday Homekeeping routine, sticking to just the basics and asking for help from my family with cleaning up after themselves. Hopefully this will help the next 8 weeks or so to coast by with a clean (or clean enough) house for the holidays.

I need to do my reading in the Houseworks book for this week, too.

And, will work on STOP decluttering in the Living room.

We're planning to purchase one of those electric fireplaces this week, so I also need to re-think the layout of the livingroom.

Okay, that is more than enough to get the week started LOL

Happy Monday, everyone! Here's to an awesome week! Ho Ho Ho! and Happy Halloween!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
You know.... having the "Public Spaces" areas look good really makes a difference in how we feel. Not only is it easy to open the door to friends --- and easy to invite people inside on a whim...... but it also makes US feel better every time we come inside. We don't get that "unfinished feeling"... as soon as we walk in the door. Instead of "It's nice to be home"...... it is "Boy, I've got work to do here!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Picking up stamps this week. The fireplace mantle needs work to transition to Thanksgiving (especially since I just volunteered to host a party in November -- it will force me to be ready!)

Also the Craft Room which is highly visible. Must do this week. Starting today!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Did you get anything done for "Public Spaces Week"? I did not get anything done on Sunday. I did not get anything done today.

I DO hope to get something done tomorrow!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I was able to get my bookshelf cleaned off - lots of books just got dumped there.

I have not gotten any Christmas cards done, so I really need to work on that.

Halloween decorations are up and the kids have everything they need for their costumes. Candy has been bought.

Time change this weekend, so I bought new batteries for the smoke detectors and I checked all of the flashlights to make sure they work.

Photo session is scheduled for next week and I will buy Christmas stamps then as well.

Doing better than I thought I was!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Tuesday evening in the Public Spaces. OK.... some "spiffing up" actually got done in the Public Areas today. This is really rewarding to do! It does make you feel so much better to have these areas looking better!

mlou

Retire Member
Nov 16, 2008
Virginia
I agree with SparkleNana that it makes a difference in how we feel when our public spaces look good. I need to get started!!! Once I get started I don't want to stop. I need to get motivated!

rockin_granola

Retire Member
Dec 27, 2007
Go Colts!
www.rockingranola.com
I agree with SparkleNana that it makes a difference in how we feel when our public spaces look good.

I agree, too! It makes a difference both in how I feel about having guests and also just affects my mood in a positive way to be able to come into a room and have it say "welcome" to those of us who live here, too. I like that feeling.

Keeping the toys picked up in our Living room is proving to be a little bit of a challenge. I think I just need to face facts that toys will migrate down to that room from the Loft/Playroom and establish a toy box or basket that they can be quickly tossed into for picking up.

We got a few Halloween decorations up and I'm still adding little touches here and there as I get time.

I have a tail to finish for one Halloween costume and 3 trick or treat bags to do/find/make (Hmmmm.....)

Going to watch The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown and Monsters v. Aliens Halloween specials tonight and hope to finish up Halloween crafts/costumes then (for real this time LOL)

Went over the time changes things that need to be done with hubby:
- change smoke detector batteries
- change lightbulbs
- review Emergency protocol with family (remind kids of 911, etc)

Wow! This week is flying by! Hope everyone is having a good Public Spaces week!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Wednesday in our Public Spaces Week. This day is having lots of "real life" interruptions.

So -- I promise to do "l5 minutes" in the Public Spaces today. If I move nimbly..... that should be enough time to make a difference!

rockin_granola

Retire Member
Dec 27, 2007
Go Colts!
www.rockingranola.com
My littlest one is sick, so I didn't get a lot done yesterday, but while I was in the drug store, I did pick up some more bandaids and a new thermometer to replenish our first aid kit.

I still have that tail to finish up for my son's Halloween costume, but I'm far enough along that I'm not feeling worried. Still have a few days left, so I know I can get it done, even if I only get a few 5 minute pockets of time here and there.

I've decided kinda late in the game that I'm going to do Magic Elf this year, so I'm brainstorming ideas for that. Luckily, I can do that "on my feet" so to speak LOL

Hope everyone is having a great week and feeling better! I know lots of sickness is going around ... hang in there!

Best Wishes!

rockin_granola

Retire Member
Dec 27, 2007
Go Colts!
www.rockingranola.com
TGIF! Hope everyone is having a great week!

I managed to get a lot checked off the list yesterday, despite having a baby who doesn't feel well, because my super sweet husband helped me out. He was so helpful and it felt so nice to be reminded that it doesn't rest solely on my shoulders to pull of a magical holiday ... or at least it doesn't have to if I remember to ask for help. I've got willing helpers, I just don't always remember to ask ... know what I mean?

Yesterday my dh:
- purchased the electric heater for our living room
- rearranged the living room furniture at my direction to go around our new heater (it is the kind that looks like a fireplace)
- purchased Christmas stamps
- purchased AA batteries (which we never seem to have enough of during the holidays)

We're keepin' on keepin' on with our minimal Holiday Housework plan, too - just sticking to keeping the basics done and so far, so good.

Now, to finish up those Halloween costumes (yes, still!) and trick 'or' treat bags ...

Best Wishes!

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
Rockin Granola - you're inspiring me with the minimal houseworks holiday things. I must go back and see what you included on your list. I'm not even getting the minimal things done and it's stressing me out.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I definitely need to pay more attention to the public spaces. It is not terrible - but the dining room (main living space is a kitchen/diner/playroom) has a large stack of work papers that I need to bring to my office, playroom needs a stack of things sorted and put away (mainly DD's "art"), and the sitting room needs a pile of magazines stashed.

This weekend will be a "concentrating on cleaning" weekend, as we weren't at home last weekend. Changing sheets and towels, dusting and hoovering throughout, cleaning bathrooms, and tackling a few seasonal jobs. We DID sort the laundrey pile last night (folding and putting away the clean clothes from the past 10 days) so now it's just the ironing facing us at the weekend (well, DH as that's his job).

If I get through all that, I intend to tackle the guest wardrobe, clear off the guest beds, and tackle the piles mentioned already in the public spaces. And I am determined to get DH to put up the new reading lights for over our bed, and make the new bedhead to hang on the wall, to complete our sanctuary (or at least get it to a compfortable state - paint can wait til spring if necessary).

And sitting down time will mean making inroads into the cards pile - as I had intended having lots more written before now. Thankfully though, the pantry is good, so (I know that's the HGP not HHP) that's one thing I am ahead on!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Friday -- Happy Halloween Eve! For the last two days --- I did just one fifteen-minute session, each day, in the Public Spaces. And..... it really, really did make a difference! I hope to get to spend more time today. But if not -- that 15-minutes a day really helps!

Why..... why..... why.... do surfaces get cluttered so easily?

Oh -- yesterday I met a new (new to me) neighbor who was walking her dog. I invited her in -- so we could exchange emails. And I COULD DO IT...... because of those 15-minute sessions! Victory is ours!!!!!!! (sometimes.)

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Happy Halloween! Maybe...... while I am in the living room and the front entry hall......... waiting around for trick-or-treaters to walk up the walkway to get candy........ maybe I can do some picking up/throwing away in the Public Spaces!!!!!!