Oct Turkey Day 2011

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Starting this thread early for the Nov Thanksgiving folks.

Everyone can put out some fall decorations today. Either Halloween or just plain fall. If you do lots of decorating just do a little each day so not to wear yourself out.

Yes, it is time to get your Thanksgiving Day plans in to action. Buy a few items each week now until Thanksgiving so you can spread out the cost of ingredients. Remember canned pumpkin can disappear off the shelves really fast in Nov. If you plan on trying a new recipe for a side dish try it out this coming week. This makes less stress during the holiday if you've prepared it at least once and you'll know if you really want to make it.

Think about your table setting and dishes you'll be needing. Check your storage area for larger platters. Did they break during storage so now you need another one. Do you not have a large roasting pan? Look for one now or pick up one of those foil ones (foil will need to be placed on a cookie sheet to provide a stable surface for lifting out of the oven). I picked up a roasting pan with a rack on sale after the holidays. Since it's new I need to wash it and season it in the oven. I'll do that this week.

Make out your shopping list if you do not keep one in your Fall/Thanksgiving Notebook. This should include all ingredients you need to cook. Remember to check things like expiration dates on baking powder/soda. Smell your spices to be sure they aren't past their prime. Things like butter can freeze so you know you won't run out. Even salt and pepper you don't want to run out while preparing the turkey or while your guests are using them. Starting picking up some things to put leftovers into either for freezing or sending home with guests.

Not making Thanksgiving dinner because you are going to some one's house. Find a dish at a thrift store to put it in so you do not have to remember to bring it home. If you didn't figure out a hostess gift start looking and planning now.

Every year I punch out turkeys on light brown paper so my family can write down what they want for Christmas on them. Then I have ideas and I scrapbook these so the memories will always be there.

What traditions do you do on Thanksgiving with your family? If none start one today.

Something for the table
http://www.craftaholicsanonymous.net/2011/09/3753.html#comments
Most scrapbooking stores have a die cut machine you can use for free to punch out the turkeys and the other paper is just a circle with a slit to slide in the turkey.

Pumpkins in a Jar (non pumpkin flavored)
http://www.confessionsofacookbookqueen.com/2010/10/pumpkin-cake-in-a-jar/

Those of you who are done with your Thanksgiving holiday should now write down what worked, what didn't, print out your menu and recipes and put those things into your Notebooks. It will help a lot with next years plans. Just do it, do not put it off.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I would be interested in knowing how much everyone is paying per pound for turkey?
LOTS of sales flyers for us this week (our Thanksgiving in Canada is October).
Difficult to say what is a 'good price'. I need three turkeys between now and New Years Day.:turkey2:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
HouseElf, when they are on sale here it's 99cents per pound - I've got one in the freezer. I'll cooke it before Christmas and cut it all up for recipes during the holidays.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
A good sale price here is .96 cents per pound.

We aren't having turkey this year - seems strange.

I can't believe that Thanksgiving is next weekend.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Our turkeys aren't on sale, yet. Last year they were around .79 a pound, so I expect more this year....probably same as our Canadian friends prices. There's one store about 50 miles away from us that usually has them for the lowest price, and we are there around the holidays because of shopping.

I have never done Thanksgiving at my house because we always did it at DGM's house. Since she is gone, I'm going to do one at my house this year, but not on Thanksgiving day. That way DS and DDIL are free to do it with her family that day, if they want to. I can't do it the Saturday before Thanksgiving, so I am thinking 2 Saturdays before or after...we'll see.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I love the turkey cupcakes and the drumstick place cards! TFS!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
It is turkey day. Are you at all ready or will it sneak up on you unprepared? Remember Dates on the Calendar are closer than they appear.

Little bit of everything:
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/holidays/thanksgiving-ideas/thanksgiving-tips

Make you you copy the leftover Turkey Lasagna recipe from here:
http://perennialpassion.blogspot.com/search/label/Thanksgiving

Do you have your shopping list prepared? Here some ideas:
http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/egg/egg1197/shoplist.html#axzz1bzboJJvZ

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Diedra, love your pinterest board. They sent me an invite today, but seems you have to connect to FB to access... will have to wait until I'm home, can't access from work.