October Recipe of the Month

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Every year I say I'm going to make this and I don't. A meal in one. My favorite!

Sausage stuffed Acorn Squash

· 2 Medium Acorn squash- cut in half and seeded
· 1 lb. bulk spicy pork sausage
· ½ cup chopped onion
· ½ cup chopped celery
· 1 cup fresh baby spinach, finely chopped
· 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
· 1 egg
· 2 Tbs milk
· 1.5 cups soft bread crumbs
· Optional-½ cup dried cranberries OR small apple peeled, cored, diced.

Salt and pepper the squash halves. Bake cut side down in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes- or until just tender. You can also microwave them- takes about 15-17 minutes.

Meanwhile, on stove top sauté onion and celery in butter and or olive oil until just tender. Add the sausage. Cook through. Drain.

In a bowl, beat the egg with the milk, stir in the spinach, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and cranberries or apple (if using). Add in the sausage mixture.
Turn squash halves over and fill the middle with the mix.

Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. If you want the mix a little browned- uncover for last 5 minutes of baking. Serves 4.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I need to look up what an acorn squash looks like. I think I'd like this

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
This sounds soooo good. I doubt my hubby would eat the squash, but I might make it anyways!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Great recipe, AnnieClaus! I make a similar one every Thanksgiving. It is DELICIOUS. DH doesn't like Acorn Squash (because he's not brave enough to try it) but about cleans me out of the the stuffing I use for it every year. He likes the maple sausage. :)

The stuffed squash really looks fabulous on the plate with the turkey. I follow my mother's recipe which uses currants (which I can live without) -- I like that this recipe used dried Cranberries. I'm going to do that instead this year.

The other difference is that our recipe uses Wild Rice instead of Bread Crumbs. Will have to try a Gluten Free breaded version at some point. Yum!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Sounds good Annie! I'm not sure my crew would eat it, but we may add it to thanksgiving table as a try it food.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Nice! I looked up acorn squash and it's what we call 'courge poivré', readily available at the grocery store :)

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
this is one of our favourite ways to prepare acorn squash :)
I do a very similar recipe - but without the breadcrumbs, and subbed kale!