OK all you creative ladies...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
My sweet baby boy is turning two in February and he ADORES Diego!!! I will post my plans later but I would love to hear your ideas!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
My DGD birthday is Feb. 9th. Personally, at 2 years old I'd keep it simple. Maybe a Diego cake, balloons and let everyone know(if they don't already) how much he loves Diego stuff, so they can be on the look out for Diego things. I'd give his guest(I'm assuming they'll be young) some toys to play with a little bit before cake and ice cream or let them watch a Deigo video. just thoughts...

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
Yeah, I should keep it simple but I won't! I should have said that we celebrate as a family. The party is for all ages (since we have all ages) and I LOVE birthday parties! I can't help it! I HAVE to go overboard!!!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I can understand that LOL Ok you could do a treasure hunt for the kids, hid the clues that lead to a treasure chest(box decorated like treasure chest) inside is 1 of his wrapped presents with his name on it for him to open & little boxes of party favors for his guest. All the kids look together for it, children who can read take turns reading clues. They can't read the next clue till all children are there to hear the present clue.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Treasure hunts are great!!! I love the idea of the Diego video -- even though most of the guests may be too old to dig it!

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
SparkleNana and girlsinMO... I have an treasure hunt sort of idea planned

Teachermomof2... I will be using some of the printable from this site, thanks

Here is what I have so far...
The invitations will be made to look like Diego's feild journal but I still need to figure out the wording for them... a poem preferably!

My son will be wearing the Diego outfit and Rescue pack. I MIGHT make vests for all the children.

For Decorations: I usually paint cardboard cutouts to set the scene: Diego, Dora, Baby Jaguar, Boots, Alicia, Click, and kof course Jungle type trees and foliage. I will also put up #2's on the walls. There will be stuffed animals laying around, and stuffed snakes and monkeys hanging from the "trees" Instead of streamers I will use vines... I have made brown paper ones before but this time I think I will use green paper twist that has not been opened. The balloon bouquets will be green and yellow with raffia instead of ribbons to dangle down. There will be posters to set the scene such as "Watering Hole" "animal crossing" "Do not enter the swamp" plastic and rubber animal toys on all the surfaces. Paper tissue leaves and tropical flowers. Jungle themed peelable wall stickers to give the wall decor dimaension.

I MIGHT have my best friend bring her snakes but I will feel the other moms out about that first!

I still need ideas for icebreaker activities and busy work before all the guests arrive.

I am still working on the main activity plan but basically as I am about to hand out their Rescue Packs and feild journals I will get a phone call from the King of the Jungle letting me know that the Bobos are causing trouble in the Jungle and the children will have to go through 6 different animal themed stations and fix things for the animals. at each station they will complete a task, get a prize for their packs and get an animal sticker in their field journals.

Here is the only station that I have planned and I shamelessly stole the idea from a monkey themed party I read about on the internet:
The Butterfly Meadow: Table with a green, grassy cloth and butterfly suncatcher craft on it. A Blue Morpho butterfly marks this area with a poem that reads, "Monkeys do such silly things, they stole the color from our wings. Please paint our colors bright and new, and later we'll fly home with you!" Here they will paint one of the suncatcher butterflies.

The food will be a mexican buffet and I can use ideas here, too, both for food and for the table decor. I usually play a theme related video while the kids eat.

After lunch we will open gifts and then DORA will show up and tell them it is time for the cake but we don't know where to go. Who do ask for help when we don't know where to go?
MAP... map will tell them that they need to go over the silly singing bridge, through the cave and to Birthday Mountain! then she will lead them over the bridge where a song will play, something familiar to the kids but the words will be wrong and they will have to tell the bridge how to sing it correctly. then they will crawl through a nylon play tunnel and be taken to the kitchen for cake and Ice cream.

I have an idea for the cake but it is still in the planning stages. The Ice cream, however will be the "birthday mountain" scoops of ice cream heaped up in a pyramid shape and covered in sundae sauces and sprinkles.

While the kids are eating I will pop a few more items in there Rescue packs including an "animal snack pack" like Diegos. I will make these from those little pill sorter things that you buy at the dollar store. I need ideas here, too. an example might be under the lid marked with a seagull there will be goldfish crackers.

So there ya go.... any and all ideas are welcome!!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Brilliant -- and fun! Let's see..... the bobos are causing trouble! Are the bobos... monkeys? If so.... let's see what trouble they can cause...... one trouble could be with the watering hole..... the bobos could do something bad..... like take away the flat stones that the little animals sit on to drink water.... and the children could put a stone back beside the watering hole, to earn their sticker. (The watering hole could be made of blue paper..... or something.)

The bobos could hide something that the animals in the jungle eat.... and the children could find the things.... and get a sticker for returning the things to a place where the animals can find and eat them. (Maybe pictures of food -- or real food like bananas -- could be hidden. And each child could get a sticker for finding food and returning it to the spot where the animals can find it.

The bobos could hide lanterns that Diego needs. And each child could find a lantern.... or a tealight candle.... and return it to the spot where Diego saves the candles...... and each child could get a sticker when they do that.

The bobos could steal the nests that the animals sleep in.... and each child could find a picture of a sleeping-nest --- and return it to the spot where the animals can find it.

For ice breakers...... as the children are arriving..... there could be pictures of jungle animals to color..... and you could tape the pictures them up, when each child has colored in some pictures.

For the Mexican buffet --- the thing that most children love is fritos (or tortilla chips) and dips. then, I would have sandwiches cut in quarters --- any kind of sandwiches the children will eat. and call them "Mexican peanut butter-and-jelly sandwiches". "Mexican cheese sandwiches." "Mexican tuna sandwiches". Etc. Anything else the children like: "Mexican carrot sticks".

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Great ideas! For the meal how about cheese quesadillas. These are quick, easy and very kid friendly. Another suggestion is monkey pizza - buy pre-made crusts and use a party themed cookie cutter to cut out a shape - top with sauce and cheese, heat and serve. Have fun - it sounds like a ball!

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
great ideas Kim, Jackfrosty and SparkleNana! Yes the Bobo's are young monkeys who are always getting into trouble but they never mean to do it, it is always innocent mischief!

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
Here is the final party plan...

Diego Animal Adventure
INVITATIONS - Field Journals
DECORATIONS
• Diego birthday poster on front door
LIVING ROOM:
• Scene setters: Diego, Baby Jaguar
• House plants to create a jungle feel.
• Peel-able wall stickers of wild animals
• Walls lined with palm trees
• snakes in the trees
• paper tissue leaves and flowers
• Green twist rope vine streamers.
• green and yellow balloon bouquets tied with raffia ribbons
KTICHEN:
• Scene setters: Bobo brothers
• paper tissue leaves and flowers and butterflies
• Happy Birthday banner
• Blue morpho station: Butterfly, instructions, paper table cloth on table, paint and suncatchers set up, lots of paper towels
HALLWAY:
• Scene setters: Beetle
• stepping stones taped to the floor
• Bug Gully station: plastic bugs all over the floor, Beetle, instructions
COLTON’S ROOM
• Scene setters: Jaguar in den
• Jaguar den station: instructions

GIRLS ROOM
• Scene setters: Sloth
• Sloth station: bare tree, instructions, box of paper leaves, lots of tape

Ricky dressed in a turquoise shirt, blue pants, and a safari vest

ACTIVITIES
• OPENING ACTIVITY : face painting & coloring pages
• Jungle Explorer Guidebooks: inside a page dedicated to each of the sites: the name of the site, a picture of the animal fun facts & a blank box at the bottom.
• Just before handing out their Guidebooks, make a sound like a phone ringing ~ jungle creatures frantically complaining about the Bobos causing mischief again! Tell the kids that the jungle creatures needed their help to sort out the messes the monkeys have made. Hand out their Guidebooks~ as they visit each site they get a sticker of that creature to put in the box on that site's page.
• Butterfly Meadow: (blue morpho butterfly)
o Poem: Monkeys do such silly things, they stole the color from our wings. Please paint our colors bright and new, and later we'll fly home with you!
o Guests paint one of the suncatcher butterflies.
• Bug Gully: (beetle)
o Poem: Just look what those monkeys have done to our nests. It will take us awhile to clean up this mess. There is a path to get through without fuss but whatever you do don’t step on us!
• Jaguar Den: (Jaguar)
o Poem: All I want is peace and quiet, but monkeys love to cause a riot. Please choose a song to sing to me, and maybe I can get some sleep!
o Guests choose a song and sing for their sticker
• Sloth Tree: (three toed sloth)
o Poem: Those monkeys were here, as you can see, and stole the leaves right off our tree. Now we can’t hide, that much is true, unless we get some help from you.
o Guests cover tree with tissue leaves
• Tell the children that they are Animal Rescuers now and give them Animal Rescue Badges (Diego rescue patch printable iron on transfers)
FOOD: Taco bar & green punch (jungle juice)
• Dora shows up and says:
o its time for cake, but we don't know which way to go. Who do we ask for help when we don't know where to go? The Map! (Play the Map song as the children get their maps out of their backpacks).
o The Map says that we have to go over the Singing Bridge, and go through the Cave and that is how we will get to the Birthday Mountain.
o Now we need to find the Singing Bridge. What can we use to see things far away? Diego's Spotting Scope! We can use Diego's spotting scope to see things far away. Everyone get your spotting scope out of your backpack. Can you see the Singing Bridge? Yeah, there it is. Vamanos. (Play come one vaminos song)(Arrive at bridge) The Singing Bridge sings silly songs. (Play silly song) That's not right; we have to teach him the right words. Let's sing the song the right way. (Everyone sings the song the right way and then crosses the bridge) Ya! We made it passed the Singing Bridge!
o Okay what's next? That's right we have to go through the cave. Does anyone see the cave? Great, let's go to the cave. Oh, oh, it looks dark in cave. Look in your backpacks: Do you see something we can use to go through a dark cave? Yes! A flashlight, everyone turn on your flash light and let's go through the cave. (Everyone goes through the cave) Okay we've gone over the Singing Bridge and through the cave.
o What's next? Yeah, Birthday Mountain. Do you see the sign for birthday mountain? Yeah, there it is! Vamanos! (play we did it)
CAKE: 3 tier cake: zebra striped bottom layer chocolate, giraffe print middle banana cake and the top layer a tiger printed strawberry cake. Topped with two palm trees and Diego/baby jaguar candle
PARTY FAVORS : in rescue pack:
• coloring book
• a Video Watch printed from the Nick Jr. onto Photo Paper, Velcro dots to attach them to their wrist.
• Spotting scopes
• flashlights
• animal snack packs
• animal guessing cards

BUBBLE POPPING AS CLOSING ACTIVITY
(play the bubble popping song)

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
What a beautiful, beautiful party! Please take pictures because the birthday boy will love them as he gets older and older! Who wouldn't love a party like this?