Old 2020 Photo....Don't put your friends and family off!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
1643603612297.pngI was just looking through old photos and my CIJ group party photo came up. It made me really ponder the important people in my life. No matter how hard that year was, I was determined to make that day work. However different it looked, I needed it and they needed it. We moved our festivities outside, wore mask and tried to really be as safe as possible. If we've all learned one thing from this whole mess the past 2 years, it's that time with our loved ones can be precious. I really encourage you to not put off those gatherings you've been thinking about. My intent is not to debating the covid virus or the risk, I'm just thinking on a bigger scale. More like...don't let those moments pass you by until it's to late. I'm good at putting things off. Putting people off....and I'm trying not to do that. It can be a challenge sometimes, but look ahead on your calendar. When would be a good time to plan a get together with friends or family that you've been putting off? CIJ is always a good excuse to gather for some Christmas fun.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
One of the items on my goals for this year is to connect with friends and family more. I get busy and sometimes it slips my mind. I am making a point of including it in my Weekly Wonders and making a note in my planner.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I missed this earlier in the year! Your post made me smile!

Reactions: jampss

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Absolutely!! The ones we love can be taken in second from us.
This is so true. Cannot believe that my brother is gone and I will never see him again. Too quickly things can change.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I missed this when originally posted, too. But like several others, I can speak to this firsthand. Things can happen in an instant, there is no way to prepare for it. Tomorrow is never a given, so cherish every single day and treat it as a gift from above.

DH passed unexpectedly from a massive heart attack on Mother's Day 2014. No signs, no symptoms, sitting on his buddy's tailgate holding the hose, while his friend finished detailing his boat prior to launch. He'd had minor surgery 4 months prior, and had clean bill of health from his doctor (who re-read his chart numerous times, looking for any tell-tail evidence), and all his pre-op tests -- stress test, EKG/ECG (can't remember which), chest x-ray, the whole gamut. No cholesterol issues, no blood pressure issues, nothing, and he was physically fit, not muscular, but he ran roughly 3 miles every day and the occasional 5K for charity. Here one minute, gone the next. Tell your loved ones how much you care for them, make time to visit with your family, make amends if that's needed. It's real, it happens, you cannot plan for it.

And, I will add this -- make sure your loved ones know your wishes re: organ and tissue donation. The hospital he was taken to was a small, but well equipped, non-university hospital, so no live donation of organs, only what could be taken after-the-fact. There's nothing worse than being asked on the phone, within hours of losing your loved one, if you want to donate corneas, tissue, bone, etc.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
This is so true. Cannot believe that my brother is gone and I will never see him again. Too quickly things can change.
Now is the time to write down the stories you remember about your dear brother. The good things and the not so good. Added together made a wonderful Brother to remember in your heart.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
And, I will add this -- make sure your loved ones know your wishes re: organ and tissue donation. The hospital he was taken to was a small, but well equipped, non-university hospital, so no live donation of organs, only what could be taken after-the-fact. There's nothing worse than being asked on the phone, within hours of losing your loved one, if you want to donate corneas, tissue, bone, etc.
You are so right about this. It was one of the first things I mentioned to the nurses and doctors after DD accident. The organ donor people came to talk to me. They had never had anyone do this ahead of time and it is very difficult to make the decision right when a loved one has died. I said if she died I might not remember. I also tell the nurses and doctors anytime I have surgery done. They first start to reassure me that I should not be nervous but soon realize I am more ready than they are if something goes wrong. Of course as old as I am now not sure I have much that could be recycled except to make compost.

Reactions: Lori K

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I will further add to what Lori and Diedra said: make sure your loved ones know your wishes should you be attached to machines or about life saving procedures. We just experienced this with the passing of my brother unexpectedly. He was 32 years old. He didn't have anything in writing and was laying unconscious and brain dead. It was very clear to most of us what should be done, but others sometimes latch on to and misunderstand things that are said by the doctor and think there may be hope, which makes it that even more difficult.

I hope that we, as a family, will come together more often and not just on holidays because time really is short.