Organizing medecine cabinet

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
That is pretty cool, but it wouldn't fit in my linen closet. However, I might be able to improvise something.

christmasrocks

MHH Member
May 30, 2008
Scotland
What a fabulous idea this is. I have a spare unit like this up my loft (attic).
I'm sure If I could find it in the messy loft, I could find a place for it in the house ;)

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
THAT is a must do project for us! I have seen those drawer units at IKEA.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
I have a medium sized organizer that I keep in one of my upper kitchen cabinets for most OTC meds labeled much like yours but on a smaller scale.

My biggest problem is that following two major accidents we are inundated with prescription meds that need to be disposed of but are not safe for household disposal, ei. flushing. I'd hung onto them simply because these are very strong pain meds and such and can't just be flushed. I looked into safe disposal recommendations by the gov and like most of their programs it makes no sense. They recommend putting them in a ziploc bag with cat litter or coffee grounds and putting it into the trash. Okay, so which landfill gets contaminated today? I also checked into a "Take Away" program whereby you can bring Rx drugs back to your pharmacy and they will dispose of them however this does not include narcotics for fear that some pharmacies would try to resell them.

Today I'm creating my own incenerator to dispose of these narcotics in a #10 can and a small controlled fire. Doctors prescribe way too many of these narcotics to begin with but that's a whole other rant.

I did not realize how dangerous it was to flush most meds. I'd always assumed that flushing was the best method as the water would dissolve and dilute them into nothingness. Not so at all. The fact is, we have enough oil in our Gulf without drugging the wildlife as well.

If anyone has a safer method please share.

Last edited:

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Neat

Wow, love the craft for the meds.

And yes, I'd like to hear about how to safely get rid of meds ... I too thought flushing was it, but of late heard that is big time a bad no no.
:fireplace:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Drugstores are now taking back meds that are expired and they get rid of it securely (or so they say)

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Ah! That's interesting.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Really cute cabinet. Here chemists (drug stores) are where you take unwanted medicines. I have never heard of there being a problem with reselling etc. It is much safer than flushing or throwing in the bin.