Organzing school stuff

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
How do you organize school papers?

Here are some things I am referring to:

School Forms (ie handbooks- we have 3, and other things you hopefully don't need BUT may)
Schedules
Contact info
Menus
Special Events
Volunteer opportunities
And of course artwork

I am kind of thinking using a expandable file folder for a year in review with a section for:
Forms/handbooks
Papers want to keep
Congrats letters or awards

Starting a binder with page protectors to slip in artwork

Then FINALLY start my home binder for upcoming activities/contacts/menus in addition to family stuff with the goal all of us look to here for info.

What do you do?

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
For school handbooks...........we have a 'homework' basket near where the kids do their homework that contains pencils, flashcards, extra notebooks, etc. I put the handbooks in the back of the basket behind the notebooks. At the end of the school year I sort through everything a get rid of what we don't need.

School Calendar.........I put this in a cabinet in the kitchen. I am trying to turn one of my cabinets into a mini office to try to keep the papers off the counter. I'm going to use the inside of the door to post my menus, write my to do lists on a dry erase board etc. The cabinet also contains my recipes and a small file box.

Contact info.........I just write this on a sticky note and attach it to the inside of our address book. The address book goes in the drawer by the phone.

School menus.....I put with the calendar even though my kids rarely want the school lunches.

Artwork, awards, and papers I want to keep.........I have anther basket in the office (actually a magazine basket) I make a folder out of large construction paper in each child's favorite color. I file the papers throughout the year. At the end of the school year, I write my childrens year and grade on the folder and store it in a larger tub in the garage.

special events, volunteer opportunities etc........I haven't figured this one out yet. I'm not good at referring to my calendar everyday so I am afraid I will forget. I usually keep this kind of notice where I will see it so I don't forget.

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
My refrigerator is the spot for the calendar and menu each month and I just change it over month-to-month. I copy contact info using EXCEL and have this posted on the frig too. I guess my refrigerator is like "COMMUNICATION CENTRAL"..lol.

As for artwork, we have a large expandable art folder made specifically for an artwork portfolio. If the artwork is a 'keeper' then it goes into that portfolio and is stored under our bed. Of course this means that you need to pick the keepers and toss the nonkeepers.

InstantMom

Retire Member
Aug 2, 2008
Good thread - I'm not happy with my system, and I have been thinking about what to do differently. For the past several years, I have used an expandable file for each of my three kids, but I always seem to run out of room before I run out of papers. So here is my plan for this year:

Artwork - This system works well for us. Each kid has a large Rubbermaid tote in the garage, and anything they (or I) want to save goes in there. Current masterpieces are in inexpensive Lucite frames around the house.

School handbook - I file this in my Household Notebook in a page protector under School; this is also where I put the monthly school newsletter, which includes the menus. The HN sits on the kitchen counter and is easy for me to get to, unlike the exp. files.

School calendar - Filed in the HN under Schedules. I also a desktop-size calendar hanging on the pantry door, and everything gets written down there, color-coded, at the beginning of the year. I hang on to all the original hard copies in the HN just in case.

Contact info - Filed in the HN under Phone Numbers.

PTO stuff - Filed in the PTO folder in the "Mom's Stuff" section of my file boxes. Since I'm the only one who needs to see that, I don't put it in the HN.

Report cards, IEP paperwork, medical reports, etc - these are the types of papers I've been sticking in the exp folders, but this year, I'm going to start filing them by each kid's name in the "Family" section of the file boxes. So I'll have Matt - Report Cards, Matt - IEP, Matt - Immunization Record, etc.

My general rule of thumb is to use the HN for info that is necessary for the daily business of the house and that any adult in charge might need to use. Other paperwork goes into my files, since I am usually the only one who needs it. Kathy Peel's Family Manager series of books was a huge help to me in setting up a filingsystem that I could remember and maintain without too much thought.

HTH - thanks for making think through it all!
:-D

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Since I have to have a notebook on oldest DS anyways all 4 of the kids have thier own notebooks. Anything that deals with their schooling goes in them and they are cleaned out at the end of the year. With the exception of DS11, I tend to start a new notebook for him everyyear since I don't know when his doctor is going to want to see notes, work samples or anything else.

Oldest dd and other kids have different calenders and lunch menus these are put on the fridge so that they can look at.

Papers are gone thru daily and decided what gets kept or trashed.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
With a notebook, of course! LOL!

I have a school notebook with a section for each child. School handbooks, schedules and contact info are placed in page protectors, then filed in the appropriate section.

Menus and monthly calendars are placed on the fridge, the side next to the back door. Any important papers that must be returned-field trip permission slips, etc, are under a magnet on the fridge...also, any upcoming events that need to be remembered are also placed on the fridge. That way, I can check it on the way out the door to make sure nothing is slipping past us! I also post church activities and calenders there, but in a separate section of the fridge, just to make it easy to keep separate. I have a church notebook, too. Also on this side of the fridge is our family calendar, with a space for each person's activities.

This has worked well for us for the past 4 years. Artwork is admired, placed in the place of honor on the front of the fridge for a few days, then either pitched :thud: , placed in the pockets in the school notebook for future scrapbooks or, it's too large for that, placed in a lidded plastic tub for that purpose.

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
Cathymac said:
With a notebook, of course! LOL!

I agree with you Cathy - I also use a notebook. It is a family notebook and each child has a section, where I file newsletters and any impoirtant information.

Menus and schedules for forthcoming events are pinned on a pinboard in the kitchen alongside a calender.

Artwork is displayed for a couple of weeks and then either binned or put into a storage box in the loft.