Outdoor lights

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

beccaw

Retire Member
Jul 22, 2009
Well, we've had our house for 5 Christmas' now, and 3 of the 5 I hung some type of lights outside. My hubby's not a big fan, so it's whatever I'm able to manage. I started with the hanging icicle style white lights, which I couldn't get to hang nicely so last year I switched to colored bulbs, but didn't get them all up. Hopefully this year I'll get them all up and maybe even get a picture! :D

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
DH usually puts colord light in our 2 outdoor trees in the front of the house (evergreens but small ones).

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I am the one who puts up the outside lights. (Although, my husband really enjoys them.) I put lots of colored mini lights on the bushes in front of our picture window. And have the curtains open to show the Christmas tree - which is right in the middle of that window -- and has colored mini lights on it too. (The curtains are pulled to show only the tree at night -- not into the living room.)

I have white mini lights on the bushes along the walk along the side of our house. For Halloween -- I put lots and lots of non-scary Halloween decorations on these bushes. But for Christmas -- it is only lights.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We put (that is DH puts) lights around the outside of our house. We did not do it last year as DH had just had surgery, and it did make things easier for us. I am not sure whether or not we will put them up this year. We might just put them in our tree.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
My DH goes way out with the outside. We have the music, blow-ups, (the last few years we had the deer pushing Santa down the chimney blow up on the roof. Not sure if it got a hole last year or not) and lights all over. We live in the country and the neighbors always say it lights their way home. Since I know how to post pictures this year I will.

christmasallyear

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
My DH goes way out with the outside. We have the music, blow-ups, (the last few years we had the deer pushing Santa down the chimney blow up on the roof. Not sure if it got a hole last year or not) and lights all over. We live in the country and the neighbors always say it lights their way home. Since I know how to post pictures this year I will.

Sounds awesome Lana!

How do you post a picture on this site?

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
That sounds fantastic!

We put up clear lights along the front of our house. Then in the porch I have a Christmas tree shape rope light in the window. I also have a wreath and a fibre optic tree that can be seen from the outside. Upstairs in our bedroom window I have a light up Merry Christmas sign,that too can be seen from the outside. This year I'm thinking of putting lights on the Willow tree in our front garden as I have spare outdoor lights.

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
We run lights across the front of the garage, over the front door and spiral them on the two, tall cedars infront of our kitchen windows. My husband puts them up. They are simple but we really enjoy them.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I do white lights on the house and Disney Blow ups in my hard. Then I light the walking path with candy canes. Hubby does the house portion for me, but Im on my own for the rest.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I live in an apartment and the only places where I can hang lights are on my balcony and down the stairwell inside the hallway. My neighbors really enjoy coming home in the evenings, seeing the lights while climbing the stairs to their apartments.

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
My neighbors really enjoy coming home in the evenings, seeing the lights while climbing the stairs to their apartments.

I think this is an important point to recognize. While we really enjoy our own decorations, I think it's nice to remember that our own lights and decorations probably really warm the hearts and Christmas spirit of those who see them. I love that most of my street decorates. It's so warm and inviting!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
DH loves putting up outdoor lights. I am not sure what he has planned for our new house.

NLxmasmom

Retire Member
Nov 22, 2007
We put colored lights along the roof, around our windows & doors & our front deck. We have a wreath with lights on our door, candy canes line our walk way. We also have a santa inflatable, a Christmas tree with lights, a spiral tree & two reindeer to go out. We started decorating on Sunday, but didn't get it finished. Hopefully we can finish up this weekend after the wind storm we're having.